3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 24, 2015 8:03 AM by rob day

how to set tabs on list (formatting)

roncurington Level 1

I’m creating numerous documents for a recipe book every document has two numbered list, one, the 1st list is a list of ingredients and the 2nd list, “Directions” is a list of steps. These steps can be multipal lines each. So for this reason I want the text to line up even on the left side with a en or even a em tab between the number and the text. What I don’t want is the second line of text in an item to extend / wrap back under the number.

I’m writing this after my latest ½ hour go at trying to get the tabs to work properly. At least if I spend a ½ hour writing to the Adobe community support forums I actually have something to show for my efforts.

I have tried more times than I can count to use the Tabs bar (completely & totally useless, its purpose is altogether mystifying.)  I managed to get the tabs and numbering to work for the 2nd list (“Directions”) Apparently it was just blind luck. Unfortunately it only works up to item #9. At item # 10 it goes stupid and begins to add what appears to be double tabs and also starts wrapping the text back below the number. So I’m good so long as my list only goes to 9 items

Is there a video tutorial somewhere that deals with this (how to format numbered list)?

• 1. Re: how to set tabs on list (formatting)
          rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The simplest way is to use the paragraph's Number list property (choose Bullets and Numbering from the Paragraph panel's flyout menu).

In that case you don't key in the number or tab separating the number and the text. Like this where I have set a left indent large enough to clear a double digit number and then made the First Line Indent the negative of the Left Indent. When you use Bullets and Numbering the list numbers are added automatically:

Screen Shot 2015-08-23 at 12.37.30 PM.png

• 2. Re: how to set tabs on list (formatting)

If the list exceeds 9 items you can use the Indent To Here character (Type>Special Character>Other) to line the numbers up right justified on the period.

It's more work and requires that you key in the number and 2 tabs instead of using Bullets and Numbering, but can look better. So here the number 1's period lines up with 120's period while the text remains left justified:

Screen Shot 2015-08-23 at 12.57.51 PM.png

Here with the invisibles showing. It's an Align to Decimal tab > Number > Left Justified tab > Indent To Here marker:

Screen Shot 2015-08-23 at 12.52.11 PM.png

• 3. Re: how to set tabs on list (formatting)
              roncurington Level 1

Thank you for your reply. Clearly I'm going to have to keep working at it till I get used to it.

Thank you again

• 4. Re: how to set tabs on list (formatting)
                the Tabs bar (completely & totally useless, its purpose is altogether mystifying.)

One thing to keep in mind about the Tabs bar—it shows the tab markers and their positions for the selected paragraph. So here I have a selection in the first paragraph and you can see the second tab marker is selected. If I move the marker, the second tab in the paragraph with the cursor or selection will be adjusted.

Screen Shot 2015-08-24 at 10.42.58 AM.png

If I select multiple paragraphs with different tab settings, markers that are not included in all of the paragraphs are gray:

Screen Shot 2015-08-24 at 10.37.16 AM.png