17 Replies Latest reply on Aug 25, 2015 3:43 AM by john beardsworth

What is your purpose of using Lightroom Mobile?

Alp Er Tunga Level 1

For photos taken with DSLRs ... I have two ideas:

1. I can develop my photos at my workplace.

2. I can show to my friends how I develop my five stars photos.

Any other ideas for a non-commercial photographer?

• 1. Re: What is your purpose of using Lightroom Mobile?
          sarsaxen Adobe Employee (Admin)

Hi Bertan,

With the Lightroom for mobile app, you can edit everything from smartphone photos to raw images from DSLR cameras using Smart Previews, and then access them across devices. Photos that are edited on mobile are automatically synced with Lightroom on your desktop and the web. Lightroom for mobile is not a backup service and cannot sync originals between Lightroom on multiple desktops. You can only sync your collections.

So you can edit your sync images on your mobile devices while traveling or when you don't have your system around.

As you want to show your friends your five start edited images, simply create a collection of it and then sync it to Lightroom mobile and shared a private or public link with your friends and for this its not required that they should also have Lightroom mobile with them.

so its really easy way to show your work to other.

here is the links for more information:

https://helpx.adobe.com/mobile-apps/help/lightroom-mobile-faq.html

Share your photos using Lightroom on mobile | Adobe Photoshop Lightroom CC tutorials

Regards

Sarika

• 2. Re: What is your purpose of using Lightroom Mobile?
            99jon Adobe Community Professional & MVP

It’s great being able to easily display photos from a collection.

But last time I tried I was required to sign-in. I had no wi-fi or other internet connection so LR mobile was completely useless. Most of the time it works, without sign-in but there is no guarantee.

If you have a Samsung device or similar, simply copy photos to the micro SD card; You then have complete control.

• 3. Re: What is your purpose of using Lightroom Mobile?
              Jao vdL Adobe Community Professional & MVP

It's interesting as a way of showing a few pictures as a type of portfolio and as an easy way to get pictures (as long as they are not raw) from your phone/tablet onto your computer and to do some quick edits while sitting in the lounge chair. The develop tools are not comprehensive (no brushes/grad filters) and so you can't do real development work except some very basic stuff. That might be enough in some situations. Note that it CANNOT take in raw files from your devices camera roll. You have to set it up to sync to one (and ONLY one) desktop computer. It will not have full res files from your computer, but downscaled, lossy dng files. This should work for the stated purposes just fine, but be aware it is not a full editing solution. You also have to think about 99jon's point that every time the app gets updated it needs your CC login again. It gets updated fairly often and so you will run into this regularly. If you are like me and use strong passwords, that often bites you in situations where you don't have network access or don't have an easy way to get to the password. On an iPad if you have an iCloud keychain, you should be able to find the password in the safari preferences and then copy and paste it into the app, but this only works if you have network access. So if you are interested in LR/mobile as a portfolio app, you should be aware of those issues.

• 4. Re: What is your purpose of using Lightroom Mobile?
                Alp Er Tunga Level 1

Lightroom mobile can be a great mobile application if it has catalog creation and so tethered shooting capabilities.

But at the current state, it is mostly useless for me ... and I think ... useless for most of the photographers.

• 5. Re: What is your purpose of using Lightroom Mobile?
                  Bob Somrak Level 5

Lightroom mobile will always be pretty much useless for me and a lot of others if you have to use the cloud instead of direct camera transfer to get photos into mobile.  I also do not want to be doing editing on a non calibrated screen.  With super light, long  battery life laptops and laptop/tablet combos (Microsoft Surface Pro) now available, why not just use the FULL version of Lr.

• 6. Re: What is your purpose of using Lightroom Mobile?
                    Alp Er Tunga Level 1

With super light, long  battery life laptops and laptop/tablet combos (Microsoft Surface Pro) now available, why not just use the FULL version of Lr.

I think so ... with Windows 10, probably I will switch to Windows installed tablets.

Just waiting to see more 64-bit tablets with Windows 10 on the market.

• 7. Re: What is your purpose of using Lightroom Mobile?
                      trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Bob Somrak wrote:

With super light, long  battery life laptops and laptop/tablet combos (Microsoft Surface Pro) now available, why not just use the FULL version of Lr.

This seems to be the best solution given all of LR Mobile's current limitations. I just had an interesting discussion on the subject here: Samsung Galaxy Note 5

DNGs are now supported on Android devices with the Lollipop 5.0 (now v5.0.2) free upgrade. I agree with Bob and here's my conclusion copied form the above link:

The solution I'd like to see is a way to manage both native DNGs and camera raw files in the field using only the hand-held device with LR Mobile. My Note Pro has a micro SD card slot ( up to 128 GB card support) and I can use a USB 3.0 hub to transfer camera raw files between the hand-held and an external hard drive (exFAT formatted). Now all I need is support in LR Mobile for camera raw files. I agree it's not necessary to be able to fully process raw image files. Support for review, rating, keyword, and cataloging would be great.

• 8. Re: What is your purpose of using Lightroom Mobile?
                        Bob Somrak Level 5

trshaner wrote:

. I agree it's not necessary to be able to fully process raw image files. Support for review, rating, keyword, and cataloging would be great.

I used to use an app on the iPad called PHOTOSMITH for review, rating, keywording and cataloging.  I worked pretty good but was not quite ready for prime time but was almost there.  You could transfer the files directly from camera to iPad and then when you got back to the computer you could sync all the ratings etc to the computer.  Its what Lr Mobile should be doing.  Unfortunately, Photosmith seems to no longer have active development since Lr Mobile was released. 

• 9. Re: What is your purpose of using Lightroom Mobile?
                          ArmandoBruck Level 1

Lightroom mobile is great to choose and rate photos, after take photos and transfer to you lightroom catalog and sync to mobile you can use or Ipad to do part of the job.

• 10. Re: What is your purpose of using Lightroom Mobile?
                            john beardsworth Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I have 3 main uses for it, in descending order:

• Showing pictures to people - eg this lunchtime to a friend, on Saturday to a photographer at the same location
                            • Casual review of images - eg looking for obvious winners or rejects from a set of photos
                            • Broad brush adjustments as part of reviewing pictures, rather like Quick Develop. You just wouldn't use it for fine tuning, so the absence of calibration is irrelevant.

The last two mean that when I do return to my main computer, I've made good use of time waiting for a train etc and that my time at the desktop can be spent working on those winners or fine tuning in a colour managed environment.

I recommend enabling offline editing for all collections, or adding all synced images to a single extra collection which is set to offline editing. It means "babysitting" to check your pictures have downloaded, but the benefit is knowing the pics will be available wherever you are.

You should also look at Lightroom Web, which is probably the simplest way to share pictures with people via their browsers, ensuring that they see up-to-date versions.

John

• 11. Re: What is your purpose of using Lightroom Mobile?
                              Bob Somrak Level 5

armandob83130974 wrote:

Lightroom mobile is great to choose and rate photos, after take photos and transfer to you lightroom catalog and sync to mobile you can use or Ipad to do part of the job.

True except for the problem of getting the photos on the iPad to do the rating in the first place without an internet connection, for instance in the middle of nowhere.  With the previously mentioned Photosmith App you did NOT need and internet connection to transfer from camera to the iPad and Photosmith to rate, etc.  Transferring the RAW files to the iPad also gave you an automatic field backup of your photos.  The Lightroom Mobile file transfer concept is a mess and is almost useless now that there are new long battery life, lightweight, calibratable screen  REAL computers where you can run the full Lightroom.

• 12. Re: What is your purpose of using Lightroom Mobile?

It's not intended to be a laptop substitute. It's addressing different workflows, not those already met by Photosmith or laptops.

• 13. Re: What is your purpose of using Lightroom Mobile?
                                  Bob Somrak Level 5

I totally agree and many people love Lr Mobile but it definitely doesn't fit a non internet connected workflow.  If a 4 man +/- operation like Photosmith could do direct camera transfer and use of RAW than Adobe should be able to do it.  It makes no difference to me as even with an internet connected workflow I consider Lr Mobile a poor, in fact a downright bad solution.  A Macbook Air or Microsoft Surface gives you direct camera transfer, screen calibration, always full Lr functionality and much more.  To bad Photosmith didn't continue on as is was becoming a very useful and well thought out solution for rating, keywording etc and providing a file backup to boot. 

• 14. Re: What is your purpose of using Lightroom Mobile?
                                    Alp Er Tunga Level 1

john beardsworth wrote:

It's not intended to be a laptop substitute. It's addressing different workflows, not those already met by Photosmith or laptops.

Other than showing the fresh photos to the customer with an iPad in a studio shooting, I don't think that it can find a place in any workflow.

• 15. Re: What is your purpose of using Lightroom Mobile?

Bob Somrak wrote:

The Lightroom Mobile file transfer concept is a mess and is almost useless now that there are new long battery life, lightweight, calibratable screen  REAL computers where you can run the full Lightroom.

I agree. Adobe has figured out how to support the hand-held device's native camera DNG raw files on Android hand-helds. It doesn't seem like much of a stretch to support locally added (i.e. via USB or WiFi) camera raw files. The entire Program Resources> CameraProfiles folder is 250 MB, which could be offered as a raw file support option during the install process. As I mentioned already in my reply #7:

The solution I'd like to see is a way to manage both native DNGs and camera raw files in the field using only the hand-held device with LR Mobile. My Note Pro has a micro SD card slot ( up to 128 GB card support) and I can use a USB 3.0 hub to transfer camera raw files between the hand-held and an external hard drive (exFAT formatted). Now all I need is support in LR Mobile for camera raw files. I agree it's not necessary to be able to fully process raw image files. Support for review, rating, keyword, and cataloging would be great.

• 16. Re: What is your purpose of using Lightroom Mobile?

But if a 4 man operation was already doing something, yet not obviously succeeding, should Lr duplicate their product's USP or should they address other workflows? In other words, it does fit a non internet connected workflow, just not the laptop substitute workflow you describe.

• 17. Re: What is your purpose of using Lightroom Mobile?

Then maybe you need to step back and consider what it actually is? Because that's the way to see the other workflows that this group of products (desktop + app + web) enable.

I'll give you an example from a couple of months ago when I was running a tethered shoot in London, but some of my client's people were unexpectedly delayed in Paris. We added new pictures into a collection which was synced to LrMobile because I planned to review the shots on the train home, but this meant the Paris guys could see the new pictures appear in their browsers, without us needing to do anything more than share the URL with them. We made adjustments and crops, and moments later those were available in Paris and they could shortlist pictures - again without us doing anything. Now, that's one maybe unusual example, but with any unfamiliar system haven't you got to stand back, stop yourself from thinking it's something else and evaluate exactly how you can exploit it?

• 18. Re: What is your purpose of using Lightroom Mobile?
                                            Alp Er Tunga Level 1

Then maybe you need to step back and consider what it actually is? Because that's the way to see the other workflows that this group of products (desktop + app + web) enable.

I've already considered of course ... for me, it does not look like as the mobile application of the most beautiful raw converter and image management software today.

So, I'm trying to give some feedback about how it can be made more perfect for most of the users ... reflecting the "beauty" of its mom.

This child does not look like its "beautiful" mom.

• 19. Re: What is your purpose of using Lightroom Mobile?

john beardsworth wrote:

The vast majority of my photography work affords me near immediate access to LR desktop and Internet access. But what do I do when I'm stuck at a remote location with no Internet access? The ability to load and review camera raw images directly to the hand-held device without synching via the Internet would be very beneficial. Lacking that capability LR Mobile is of very limited value (to me). I'm not saying it isn't useful in some shooting situations, just that it could be made much more useful.

• 20. Re: What is your purpose of using Lightroom Mobile?

trshaner wrote:

The ability to load and review camera raw images directly to the hand-held device without synching via the Internet would be very beneficial.

Putting aside wider reasons for why Mobile is how it is ( mobile capture, SaaS, and the trend to touch UIs), Adobe did acknowledge that desire a year ago - see The Field Triage Opportunity for Lr Mobile - but saw it as premature because of hardware and connectivity issues. And I do wonder how long I would be happy trying to load D800 raw files on my iPad when, for one thing, my camera's two 32gb cards are double my iPad's capacity. Mobile devices are not yet a laptop substitute for this kind of task. Instead one has to look for how to exploit the Mobile group of products in other ways for which it is already suitable.