4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 23, 2015 1:52 PM by dj_paige

Need help fixing LR6 GPU support on Surface Pro 3

mark.kuijper@planet.nl

Running LR 6.1.1 on Microsoft Surface Pro 3 (i7/8Gb/512Gb, fastest model). OS used is Windows 10 but had same problem with W8.1 Pro before.

Problem:

- Adjustment brush is very "lagging" / slow with the default GPU support ENABLED.

- Turning off GPU support brings back the performance like it was on LR5.7

The big LR6 feature is GPU support so obviously I was hoping to get GPU support and more performance, instead of less. With GPU support ENABLED the lag is terrible and basically unusable while editing a Nikon D3X 24Mp raw file.

SP3 runs an Intel HD graphics 5000 (integrated) card with driver version 10.18.15.4256. "Update driver" in Windows 10 device manager tells me I've got the latest driver. Going to Intel and get a driver there is not really recommended by Microsoft.

Please see the following topics I opened or posted in as well:

Lightroom CC brush tool is lagging compared to lightroom 5

Anybody running Lightroom 6 on a Surface Pro 3 succesfully with GPU support enabled yet ?

Mark.

• 1. Re: Need help fixing LR6 GPU support on Surface Pro 3
          dj_paige Level 9

The major benefit of GPU acceleration in Lightroom 6/Lightroom CC is on 4K and 5K monitors. So while you may see some speed benefit from GPU acceleration on a Surface Pro 3, one place where you do not get a benefit from GPU acceleration is in the use of the adjustment brush, which is actually slower when the GPU acceleration is turned on. Thus, you are probably wise to leave the GPU acceleration off. When it is off, are you seeing lack of speed in the develop module?

Also, Adobe says your GPU need 1GB VRAM for GPU acceleration, and you do not have that (if I am understanding you properly)

• 2. Re: Need help fixing LR6 GPU support on Surface Pro 3
            mark.kuijper@planet.nl Level 1

Without GPU support performance of the adjustment brush is "acceptable". I bit like in LR5.7, maybe a tad slower

With GPU support performance of the adjustment brush is unacceptable slow.

Intel HD graphic 5000 properties provides the following memory info:

• Total available graphics memory 4176Mb
            • Dedicated Video Memory 128Mb
            • System Video Memory 0 Mb
            • Shared System Memory 4048Mb

I'm using LR6 on a desktop as well with an HD monitor which has lower resolution than a SP3. There the default GPU enabled setting actually increases performance...

Mark.

• 3. Re: Need help fixing LR6 GPU support on Surface Pro 3
              Jao vdL Adobe Community Professional & MVP

There is no way the graphics card in a Surface is powerful enough to see any benefit from GPU acceleration. In fact there are extremely few machines where it consistently leads to improved performance and then only when you never use brushes on your images. Even very powerful machines can be brought to their knees with a few brushstrokes I have found when GPU support is turned on. So my general advice is to turn it off except when you have a really powerful graphics card and are running on a very high res monitor (4K and up).

• 4. Re: Need help fixing LR6 GPU support on Surface Pro 3
                dj_paige Level 9

I agree with Jao vdL, the adjustment brush problems you are experiencing indicate your best choice is to turn off Graphics acceleration.