13 Replies Latest reply on Aug 24, 2015 8:41 AM by grwiffen

Lightroom 6 support for Nikon D5200

grwiffen

A basic question, so please bear with me.

Does Lightroom 6 include support for Nikon D5200?

I ask because when I try to import photos from a memory card used/formatted within a D5200, very odd things are happening. It says a large number of files are 'unreadable' and then when I go to Windows to see why, the files are lost. I have lost over 850 files off my recent 16gb card.

Can anyone throw some light on this please?

Thank you in advance. Graham

• 1. Re: Lightroom 6 support for Nikon D5200
          dj_paige Level 9

Lightroom 6 does support the Nikon D5200.

I ask because when I try to import photos from a memory card used/formatted within a D5200, very odd things are happening. It says a large number of files are 'unreadable' and then when I go to Windows to see why, the files are lost. I have lost over 850 files off my recent 16gb card.

What is the exact word-for-word unedited verbatim error message?

What settings and options have you selected in the Lightroom Import dialog box? (A screen capture would be great)

• 2. Re: Lightroom 6 support for Nikon D5200
            JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The D5200  has been supported since Lightroom 4.3. The problem you describe usually indicates that there is a problem somewhere in your hardware. It could be the card or the cable or the card reader or it can be a problem with the hard drive. Is this a new problem? Or have you never been able to import from the camera? What operating system are you using? How much RAM? How much disk space do you have available?

• 3. Re: Lightroom 6 support for Nikon D5200
              grwiffen Level 1

There is no error message. The files just dissapear!

I have anewly rebuilt pc, running Win 7 64-bit, 2tb storage, 12Mb ram

I have never been able to suucessfully import from this camera - but I import from my other D7100 all the time with no issues

Could this be an ACR version issue? Are there specific setup instructions/settings for Lightroom to add this camera's details into the import area?

• 4. Re: Lightroom 6 support for Nikon D5200
                dj_paige Level 9

I agree with Jim Hess, you might be having a problem with the cable or card reader. What happens if you use different hardware to import from this camera?

Also, what kind of SD card? Some SD cards are not supported by some card readers.

Also, what do you mean when you say

It says a large number of files are 'unreadable'

You are quoting something? What are you quoting? What says these files are 'unreadable'?

• 5. Re: Lightroom 6 support for Nikon D5200
                  grwiffen Level 1

The 'files unreadable' message was from the initial file import from Lightroom.

The cards is a Sandisk Extreme Pro 16gb, 60mbs, which as far as I can see, is supported.

The card reader Im using is the same as I use for my other camera, which uses Sandisk 16gb cards too (45mbs), so I am presuming it will be fine with either card.

FYI - My ACR version is 7.00

• 6. Re: Lightroom 6 support for Nikon D5200
                    dj_paige Level 9

The cards is a Sandisk Extreme Pro 16gb, 60mbs, which as far as I can see, is supported.

Supported by what? What card reader are you using?

I asked: "What settings and options have you selected in the Lightroom Import dialog box? (A screen capture would be great)" Have you used your operating system to perform a search of all of your hard disks for these photos?

This has nothing to do with ACR.

• 7. Re: Lightroom 6 support for Nikon D5200
                      grwiffen Level 1

I meant the card is supported by the camera. (I have just some datat recovery on the card and found a load of files which I thought had been lost.)

I have tried to find the files, but Windows doesnt see them.

The SDHC reader is either the one in my PC which 6 years old or more recently an external card reader plugged into a USB 2 port, made by ProHT

• 9. Re: Lightroom 6 support for Nikon D5200
                        dj_paige Level 9

I have tried to find the files, but Windows doesnt see them.

Are you saying this because of what your screen capture shows, or is there some other reason you are saying Windows doesn't see them? Please explain

Your screen capture indicates that these photos are already imported into Lightroom, because the images are "greyed out" and the import button is not active. (Please confirm that is what you see)

If that's the case, you need to find the photos in Lightroom.

To do this, please perform all of these four steps:

1. Go to the Library Module (not the Import dialog box) and on the left in the Catalog section, click on All Photographs
                        2. Turn off all filters (Ctrl-L once or twice)
                        3. Expand All Stacks (Photo->Stacking->Expand All Stacks)
                        4. Use the Filter Bar to search for one of these photos by File Name
                        • 10. Re: Lightroom 6 support for Nikon D5200
                          grwiffen Level 1

OK, sorry, I am not explaining this main issue clearly ....

I use a SDHC in my D5200 - over time it has 850 photos on it - yesterday I took about 150 new images

When I put the card into my PC to import them using L'room, it imported only 66 and said there were a number of other files unreadable (I dont know how many and I cannot re-create the issue for a screenshot)

Once this had happenend, the card is only showing 66 images!!! - This is the issue - the card has seemingly lost all of the previous images and a large number of the previous days shots.

It seems that trying to import screws us the FAT table on the card.

Any thoughts on this ??

You seemed to be suggesting the card reader previously, which may be a possibilility, although there is only a small difference between the card I used yesterdsay and the cards In use in my other camera (40Mbs are ok, 60mbs seem not to be)

I can get a USB 3 SDHC reader to try it out, but I still think this is a s/w issue with Lightroom and reading D5200 formatted cards.

Thanks

Graham

• 11. Re: Lightroom 6 support for Nikon D5200
                            dj_paige Level 9

You have a bad corrupted card.

Use another one.

• 12. Re: Lightroom 6 support for Nikon D5200
                              Hayhill Level 2

I agree with dj - sounds like a card problem. When is the last time the card was formatted in-camera. I format each and every time I put it in the camera, as soon as I know that the files are on my HD and my backups (note pleural) are doing their thing. I NEVER delete pictures using the camera's delete function, only by formatting the card. You may also want to test things out a bit, by using a fresh, newly formatted card, take a few test shots, and with LR closed, drag and drop the files to your HD. Test them if you wish my pointing a browser type viewer (? Bridge) to that folder. and if OK, then import them to LR using the ADD and not the copy function.

• 13. Re: Lightroom 6 support for Nikon D5200
                                grwiffen Level 1

Ok, thank you everyone. I have organised a number fo steps to correct this now ....

ordered a new SDHC card,

and a new USB 3.0 SDHC/XC card reader

Have spoken to Sandisk who may replace the card subject to testing

Will run a series of tests on an old card in the camera, to see if I can replicate the fault, either in camera or in pc

Will try various ways of transferring the date from the card to the pc - drag/drop, connect DSLR via cable, put SDHC into new reader

Hopefully that will be the last of it.

Thanks for your help

Graham