10 Replies Latest reply on Aug 26, 2015 10:29 PM by Jose7828

How to setup scratch disks and project files?

Jose7828

Hi all!

My video system has 2 x SSD drives (a 500GB system drive and 250MB project drive) , though I could add a 1TB HDD if needed. With this setup, how would you guys go about distributing the load using scratch disks, as well as organizing project files in order for me to achieve the best performance?

Thanks!

• 1. Re: How to setup scratch disks and project files?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

jose7828

What version of Premiere Elements, and what computer operating system is involved?

Please view the Adobe documents on Scratch Disks, and then we can discuss this further.

Adobe Premiere Elements Help | Working with scratch disks

Any questions or need clarification, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: How to setup scratch disks and project files?
            Jose7828 Level 1

My OS is Windows 7 x64, and I have Premiere Elements 13 (latest update) installed. I don't have a very fast machine, but it does perform good (at least thus far). The rest of the specs are:

- Intel Core2Quad 9400 processor.

- 8GB of RAM (800MHz of DDR2).

- ATI Radeon HD 5450 with 2GB of DDR3 RAM.

I had already read that article, which does help, but I wanted a more precise answer that pertains to my setup, rather than a general answer. Also, I would like to know the best way to organize my project files, keeping in mind where and how I setup my scratch disks, in order to get the absolute best performance and most organized file system. Hope this more clearly explains the type of answer I'm looking for :-).

Thanks!

• 3. Re: How to setup scratch disks and project files?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

jose7828

Thanks for the follow up. I saw your latest post hours ago in my Inbox Email Notifications but did not see the post in your actual thread and thought that you had withdrawn that post.

I will give you a customized response of your question in the morning. Is one of your SSD Local Disk C? And, did you install Premiere Elements 13/13.1 to the default location on the Local Disk C?

Is the Elements Organizer 13/13.1 in your organizational plans? And, at the present time, are you having any problems in that workspace with regard to importing files into the Elements Organizer, obtaining thumbnails there for the imports, and being able to playback the imports with the Elements Organizer player?.

To be continued...

ATR

• 4. Re: How to setup scratch disks and project files?
                A.T. Romano Level 7

Jose7828

The bottom line in all this is going to be drive data transfer rates and drive space use/capacity details.

If you have a 500 GB SSD System Drive and a 250 GB SSD Project Drive....

a. If SSD System is Local Disc C, then I would install Premiere Elements there to the default location.

Of the 500 GB there, how much free hard drive space do you have there now?

b. I would point the Premiere Elements project file to the 250 GB SSD drive and then point the Scratch Disks = Same As Project.

See Edit Menu/Preferences/Scratch Disks. The project save location is set in the New Project Dialog (File Menu/New/Project). Also see File Menu/Save As/ in the opened project.

But the question also becomes how much are you putting on the 250 GB SSD Project Drive besides Premiere Elements related items that you want to move faster in the processing?

If the 250 GB SSD reaches capacity, you may have to explore the supplemental drive and its data transfer rate and set priorities for what goes where to gain the “faster” factor in your operation.

Unless you plan ahead, you will end up with the project files and its assets going in one common place and you being left to sort through a bunch of files by name to find the project file and assets for a given project. Consider when you start a new project...basic idea....

1. On the 250 GB SSD, create a new folder for a new project.

2. Open the new project

a. Make sure that the Scratch Discs are all pointed "Same As Project"

b. Go to File Menu/Save As, name the project accordingly, and set the project's Save location to the new appropriately named folder on the 250 GB SSD Drive.

c. Continue in your project.

d. Save close the project.

Conformed videos related to that project are located in a save location that is not user changeable.  The Media Cache Folder with it mcdb files will automatically re-generated to Local Disc C\Users\Owner\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Common\Media Cache. The load in the Media Cache Folder can be controlled by hitting the Clean Now button in the Edit Menu/Preferences/Media and its Media Cache Database area.

Supplemental drive is a consideration for general storage.

Major consideration = never move, delete, or rename files and folder that were imported into a project after the project is saved closed. When you import files into the project, all you get are copies of the originals at their hard drive save location. And, the project copies need to trace back to those originals in their hard drive save location where they were when first imported into the project. Difficult media-project reconnect issues results from failure to remember this.

Lots more details. But, let us start here.

ATR

• 5. Re: How to setup scratch disks and project files?
                  Jose7828 Level 1

Great!

That's exactly the kind of answer I was hoping to get, very detailed. Thank you!

This computer will only be used to edit pictures (with Photoshop Elements) and video (with Premiere Elements). The main SSD drive (500GB) is indeed C: with ALL software installed in it, in their default directories. The secondary SSD drive (250GB) is currently empty and will only be used to temporarily place current project files that are being worked on. I was thinking of using the mechanical drive (1TB) as you suggest, to store finished projects.

As far as how much drive space I have left on the C: drive, I'll have to get back to you on that. However, there's probably plenty of empty space since I very recently did a fresh install of Windows and I only have the two Adobe softwares I mentioned in the previous paragraph, plus other smaller 3rd party softwares (i.e. Foxit PDF Reader, Open Office, QuickTime player, 7-zip and Finale Music Writer). I'll also add very small documents and data, but that's it.

Questions:

Are conformed videos the same as the ones Premiere Elements renders inside the timeline in order to smooth out the project's playback? Or are they something different?

Also, I assume I will have to place video, music and other types files being used inside the project's folder in order to move the project folder without worries once I'm done with it. IOW, I create my project folder, as well as all media subfolders, store whatever media I plan on using into its corresponding subfolder, and THEN create my project and 'Save as' in the corresponding Project folder. Is this correct? Or does Premiere Elements do all this extra work for you once the project folder is created?

As for the Organizer. I'm not sure what to think of it just yet. Does it help me organize my project assets in the way I describe above, or is it simply another layer added to Windows' folder system? I don't really care about tagging places or people's names cause I'll only be recording myself, so if that's all it offers than I don't see the need for it. At least not for me. Or am I missing something?

• 6. Re: How to setup scratch disks and project files?
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Jose7828

Thanks for the reply.

Conformed video files (mcdb) files are not the same as the DV AVI and MPEG2.mpg files (preview files) that are automatically generated by the project every time you Timeline render Timeline video and still content to get the best possible preview of that content in the Edit area monitor playback. The following may be of interest with regard to preview files. I will get back to you with more information on mcdb files at another time.

To avoid media-project disconnects, the source media needs to be in the location where they were when first imported into the project. And, consider that source media saved at a given location may be linked to more than one project. With regard to your second question, the only thing that the program will do automatically is generate the stratch discs files discussed, ex. preview files, temporary encoded files, conformed audio, conformed video. It will not maneuver the source media. I forgot to mention, if you have the AutoSave feature enabled, you will get AutoSave files in the Adobe Premiere Elements AutoSave Folder. AutoSave files typically goe to the save location of the project file.

Adobe Premiere Elements Help | Saving and backing up projects

Premiere Elements has  File Menu/Project Archiver/Archive Project or Copy Project feature wherein the project file is saved to a folder with its assets. It is my opinion that it is best left for archiving projects rather than for every day saving purposes.

https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-elements/using/archiving-projects.html

even there, there can be some pitfalls depending on circumstances.

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE12: Archiving Projects With Disc Menus

ATR

• 7. Re: How to setup scratch disks and project files?
                      Jose7828 Level 1

[QUOTE]Thanks for the reply.

Conformed video files (mcdb) files are not the same as the DV AVI and MPEG2.mpg files (preview files) that are automatically generated by the project every time you Timeline render Timeline video and still content to get the best possible preview of that content in the Edit area monitor playback. The following may be of interest with regard to preview files. I will get back to you with more information on mcdb files at another time.[/QUOTE]

Gotcha! Looking forward to it.

[QUOTE]To avoid media-project disconnects, the source media needs to be in the location where they were when first imported into the project. And, consider that source media saved at a given location may be linked to more than one project.[/QUOTE]

That's why I was wondering if simply putting all my source media into subfolders, inside the main project folder, would mitigate that problem. Doesn't Premiere Elements have a way to relink media files? Just in case I do end up recalling an already archived project.

[QUOTE]With regard to your second question, the only thing that the program will do automatically is generate the stratch discs files discussed, ex. preview files, temporary encoded files, conformed audio, conformed video. It will not maneuver the source media.[/QUOTE]

I wished that it did. The mixing software that I use, Cubase 8 Pro, has this feature where you can either copy all project files into the project folder, or reference them from their current location in the hard drive. It makes life so much easier. It also has a relink feature, in case the files ended up being moved elsewhere. Adobe should add this if they haven't already.

[QUOTE]I forgot to mention, if you have the AutoSave feature enabled, you will get AutoSave files in the Adobe Premiere Elements AutoSave Folder. AutoSave files typically goe to the save location of the project file.[/QUOTE]

No worries. I always disable Auto Save. Was never a fan of that feature (though it could be a life saviour for people who don't manually save frequently). I'm just used to doing it myself :-).

[QUOTE]Premiere Elements has  File Menu/Project Archiver/Archive Project or Copy Project feature wherein the project file is saved to a folder with its assets. It is my opinion that it is best left for archiving projects rather than for every day saving purposes.

https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-elements/using/archiving-projects.html

even there, there can be some pitfalls depending on circumstances.

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE12: Archiving Projects With Disc Menus

[/QUOTE]

Cool! I'll check that out. As far as disc menus, don't think I'll be doing any of that (at least not in the beginning). Doing this for my upcoming YouTube channel :-).

Thanks again!

• 8. Re: How to setup scratch disks and project files?
                        Jose7828 Level 1

Seems like the project archiver is the way to go, though it is not as convinient as how Cubase 8 Pro handles project files. The difference is that, in Cubase, you set this once, right before you start a project, and then you forget about it (even on subsequent projects). You can specify to save the project files inside the project folder or at another location of your preference. Not sure why one would do the latter, but it's there.

Cubase also has a project archiver and a copy project function as well, that works just like in Premiere. But again, the set and forget aspect of the first option just makes things faster. It's probably not a big deal though. I'll get used to it :-).

BTW, this forum doesn't do quotations? :-[

• 9. Re: How to setup scratch disks and project files?
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Jose7828

Thanks for the replies

Referring to Post 7

Doesn't Premiere Elements have a way to relink media files? Just in case I do end up recalling an already archived project. Doesn't Premiere Elements have a way to relink media files? Just in case I do end up recalling an already archived project.

Premiere Elements relinking of disconnected source media for the project goes to the extent that you know where the missing media are, you see the missing files by name, file type, as well as location, and you input that information into the “Where is the file _____?” message. It is typically a one by one operation. If you get lucky, reconnecting one of the missing files will trigger the connect for the others.

No worries. I always disable Auto Save. Was never a fan of that feature (though it could be a life saviour for people who don't manually save frequently). I'm just used to doing it myself :-).

Good idea.

Good idea.

Referring to Post 8

The Adobe Premiere Elements Forum uses the quote format as I have demonstrated in this post. See the "Quote Previous Message" icon at top of reply.

To explore all aspects of the following as an alternative to Project Archiver...

a. Create the project folder on 250 GB SSD as already mentioned in one scenario. And, inside that folder place your source media folder.

b. Open the new project, point it to its project folder.

c. Then import the source media from the project folder into that new project with Expert workspace Add Media/Files and Folder/Project Assets.

I would need to think through the logistics of that if you were forced to transfer source media from the 250 GB SSD to supplemental drive before you wanted to get rid of the project in its project folder on the 250 GB SSD.

ATR

• 10. Re: How to setup scratch disks and project files?
                            Jose7828 Level 1

A.T. Romano wrote:

Premiere Elements relinking of disconnected source media for the project goes to the extent that you know where the missing media are, you see the missing files by name, file type, as well as location, and you input that information into the “Where is the file _____?” message. It is typically a one by one operation. If you get lucky, reconnecting one of the missing files will trigger the connect for the others.

OK. That's good to know. Cubase does the same thing, and it reconnects all missing files automatically, after the first one is found, as long as they are inside the same folder.

The Adobe Premiere Elements Forum uses the quote format as I have demonstrated in this post. See the "Quote Previous Message" icon at top of reply.

It's not the most convenient, but it works. Thanks!

To explore all aspects of the following as an alternative to Project Archiver...

a. Create the project folder on 250 GB SSD as already mentioned in one scenario. And, inside that folder place your source media folder.

b. Open the new project, point it to its project folder.

c. Then import the source media from the project folder into that new project with Expert workspace Add Media/Files and Folder/Project Assets.

I would need to think through the logistics of that if you were forced to transfer source media from the 250 GB SSD to supplemental drive before you wanted to get rid of the project in its project folder on the 250 GB SSD.

ATR

I will try to give this a shot tonight, if not tomorrow (depending on how busy it gets throughout the day). But I'll report back for sure. Thanks again for all your help. I really appreciate it :-).

P.S. I keep comparing Premiere with Cubase only because that's what I'm comfortable using. But I do like Premiere very much. I would've gone with the Pro version if it wasn't for the subscription model. For a person like me, who's not using this software everyday and not making any money off of it, it just doesn't make sense to pay monthly. But I think Elements will do just fine for what I need. It's got a lot to offer for an Elements version, IMO.

• 11. Re: How to setup scratch disks and project files?
                              Jose7828 Level 1

Sorry for the delay. I wasn't able to try it out as planned, but now I did.

Basically, I followed the suggested steps found in your last post. I included 3 images and 2 videos, with lots of effects. Then I rendered the timeline and saved the project inside the project folder I had already created. I proceed by closing Premiere, moved the project folder to my backup drive, and deleted it from the 250GB drive. Finally, I renamed the project file (just as an extra step to see what would happen) and moved the project file back into the 250GB drive.

When I went to open the project file, Premiere asked about the loction of the first clip and automatically found the rest of the project's assets (which was as I would have expected). The project took a bit to open, but it eventually did, including the rendered timeline, which I did not expect but then noticed that Premiere also creates a Preview files folder inside the project folder (so that's cool). The project plays back normally and everything is good. However, now I'm getting an "Adobe Premiere Elements has stopped working" message every time I close it. The fault module is 'atio6axx.dll'. Doesn't matter if I open a project or if I simply open/close the Premiere without loading a project. It still gives me this message as if forcing it to close. Not sure what triggers this, but I worry that it may affect future projects. Other than that, everything works fine. Any ideas?