7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 28, 2015 5:13 PM by Kinetogenic

Mouse track not recording full scene?

Kinetogenic Level 1

I'm having difficulty getting a mouse track to record data to the full length of my scene. 

In my scene, I am animating the pupils with a mouse track since I am not happy with the tracking results I am getting. When I record in the scene, even if I record through frame 200, it only returns data up to frame 45 of so.

Just to test, I created a fresh PSD that only had the mouse track layer in it, imported it as a separate puppet, and tried recording that. It also does not return the full length of my recording, although this time to frame 100. Is there a limit to how long I can record based on the size of the PSD, or any other factors?

I am on a fairly fast machine, a 3ghz 8 core xeon current gen Mac Pro with 32GB ram, running 10.10.4, with plenty of space on my ssd.

• 1. Re: Mouse track not recording full scene?
          Jeff Almasol Adobe Employee

There shouldn't been such a limit, especially that short of a duration. Is the take bar short, or the expected length but doesn't have the recorded info in it? Can you post a screenshot of the puppet track and its take bars visible, and how it relates to the length of the scene (the lighter colored background in the panel)? Thanks.

• 2. Re: Mouse track not recording full scene?
            Kinetogenic Level 1

Hey Jeff, and thanks for the reply!

Here is a video clip that shows me recording the mouse track and the results, which you can see are shorter than the scene length and the time I recorded. Maybe I am missing an important step that sets the recording range?

Thanks!

Chase

• 3. Re: Mouse track not recording full scene?

Hi Chase... Thanks for posting the video. No, it doesn't seem like you're doing anything incorrectly. The take bar should match the duration that you recorded (and the scene duration should extend automatically to match).

Are you using a mouse or pen/tablet?

Are there other apps running in the background, or is there background sync (Dropbox, etc.) or virus checking happening?

If you drag slower, does it make a difference?

If you delete all other behaviors but Mouse Tracker, does it make a difference?

If you create a new project and import your puppet into it, does it help?

Thanks.

• 4. Re: Mouse track not recording full scene?
                Kinetogenic Level 1

Thanks Jeff!

Tried with both tablet and mouse with same results.

No virus check, disabling dropbox doesn't seem to have changed anything.

Speed of drag does not affect the results.

I brought in just eyes to a fresh project and tried only that with a mouse track, same result.

I've also opened up a test puppet I downloaded from a link in one of the adobe tutorials of a snowman named "Aurora". Tried mouse tracking his arms there as well, in a fresh project, and having the same results.

• 5. Re: Mouse track not recording full scene?

Very odd. If you have the Microphone Input enabled (in the Camera & Microphone panel), does the audio track also stay shorter than the recording period? If you record a different behavior parameter like Face > Head Position Strength (i.e., click the Arm for Record button next to that parameter, start a recording, scrub the Head Position Strength value, then stop recording), is that parameter's take the same short duration? If you start the recording later in time, is the recording the same short duration but just shifted?

• 6. Re: Mouse track not recording full scene?
                    Kinetogenic Level 1

Hey Jeff,

I had been using a laptop for testing most of the features, and was just playing around with this on my mac pro which is not connected to a webcam or mic at the moment. I stretched some cables to the closest cinema display and had some interesting findings.

Once I connected to a webcam/mic and restarted character animator, even if I turned off the cam and mic recording, the mouse track now recorded the full length. With the cam/mic enabled it also worked fine. Once I disconnected the cam/mic it went back to the old behavior.

Also worth noting and possibly related - when I do not have a cam/mic connected but leave the buttons enabled, when I click to finish recording, I am greeted with the message "assertion failed!". It seems that character animating is assuming that I will always have a webcam/mic connected and does not know how to properly handle its absence.

• 7. Re: Mouse track not recording full scene?

Hi Chase... Ah, yes, we do require a mic/audio and webcam at this time. We have an internal bug on it. It usually doesn't create any take bar (at least in my tests on Windows), so it's interesting a take bar was created.

I'll reference this forum thread in our internal bug. If you can use the webcam/mic for now, that'd be best (of course). We'll investigate supporting recording in this type of configuration.

Thanks.

• 8. Re: Mouse track not recording full scene?
                        Kinetogenic Level 1

Thanks Jeff - I do think it would be helpful to still be able to use the software even without a webcam, I think there will be some handy uses for this software outside of just recording your own face. Examples are using prerecorded footage with the data analyzed in AE (although would be nice to be able to do that within CA) and even just using it as a motion sketch on steroids since its much more interactive!

Thanks!

-Chase