3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 24, 2015 5:32 PM by johnrellis

Lightroom 5 color issue

prikolist

I'm recently got Lightroom 5 and when I tried to use it I noticed that the preview it shows does not match the appearance of the file in any other software. Here's an example screenshot: http://s24.postimg.org/fydsncqut/image_comp.png

The left (warm/yellow) version is how the RAW file and the JPG appear in Lightroom. The right (cold/gray) version is how the RAW file and JPG appear in everything else I tried - including Photoshop CS5 and CS4, Pentax Digital Camera Utility (aka SilkyPix), Windows photo viewer, Picasa photo viewer, browsers, etc. I've installed Lightroom on a different computer with a different screen (though mostly similar settings) and see the same issue. I've used RAWs from three different cameras by two different manufacturers that have different RAW formats. I've also tried JPGs coming from various sources (saved from browser, screenshots, etc) and they are all warm in Lightroom and normal in everything else.

I've read through a dozen threads on this topic and it seems like a common issue with various possible causes and resolutions, but I am still very lost regarding color management and not sure what to do. I do not have a hardware device like Spyder to calibrate my screen. I have used Windows' native calibration (the one accessible via Control Panel/Color Management/Advanced/Calibrate display). I'm aware that's it's not perfect, but after years of processing, sharing and printing my images I am happy with color accuracy.

I am trying to understand why this only affects Lightroom and not other image processing or viewing software - including's other Adobe products. And, of course, how to fix it. I would prefer to avoid having to spend more money (such as buying a Spyder/Colormunki), but if that's the only solution then so be it - otherwise I spent money on Lightroom for no reason.

Version: Lightroom 5.7

Screens: Samsung 2220WM and Samsung 5 series laptop

Cameras: Pentaxes and Sony RX-100

• 1. Re: Lightroom 5 color issue
          johnrellis Most Valuable Participant

You display profile may be incompatible with LR but not with other programs.  To test that, try setting the profile to sRGB as described in this article: How do I change my monitor profile to check whether it’s corrupted?.  It looks like you have a serious investment in cameras and software, so spending a very small percentage of that on a calibrator is quite worthwhile.

• 2. Re: Lightroom 5 color issue
            prikolist Level 1

Yes, setting the monitor profile to sRGB did the trick, appearance of images is now indistinguishable, to my eye at least. Which leads to a question why this works? What I had as default profile is named for the monitor, so I'm assuming it came with the driver for it. I'm guessing for some reason Lightroom doesn't support that particular one. And am I losing color accuracy by switching from a model-specific to a generic profile? Do I need to recalibrate?

• 3. Re: Lightroom 5 color issue
              johnrellis Most Valuable Participant

In the past, some display manufacturers shipped profiles that were not entirely standards-conforming, and they trip up LR and other programs.  Also, I believe that LR silently fails when presented with version 4 ICC profiles, but I'm not sure about that.  Regardless, this is a fairly common situation.

While you could use the "by eye" calibration built-in to Windows, experts say that results in profiles that are pretty random quality.  Your best bet is to spring for a calibrator.