11 Replies Latest reply on Aug 25, 2015 4:03 AM by dj_paige

Locate files - question

SarahHerman02

My "Washington D.C." Lightroom 5 folder is greyed out with "?"on the folder. All images In the folder are displayed but are marked with "!." Clicking on "!" prompts question "do I want to locate file" and lists a previous location which is the correct location which has never changed. When I respond yes to the question of locating the file I am shown finder, locate the file, and click "choose." At that point the message is "the file is associated with another photo in the catalog. Each file can only be associated with one photo." The photos are in "Previous import" and one of the files is in the folder "Already in Catalog."

How do I recover? Should I delete the greyed out "Washington D.C." folder? If so, how do I do that safely? Then I could do another import. What then happens with files in "previous import?"

• 1. Re: Locate files - question
          dj_paige Level 9

Normally, when you have this message "the file is associated with another photo in the catalog", it means you have imported the photo in your catalog twice (not recommended), and you cannot associate the one with the exclamation mark with the other version of the photo in your catalog, which probably doesn't have an exclamation point.

So, you need to do a search for this photo in your catalog. Follow all four of these steps:

1. In the library module, on the left, under Catalog, click on All Photographs
          2. Turn off all filters (Ctrl-L once or twice)
          3. Expand all stacks (Photo->Stacking->Expand All Stacks)
          4. Search for one of these photos by file name using the Filter Bar

I suspect you will find two (or more) of the photos with the file name. You have to decide which one you want to keep (probably the one which has the edits and also has the exclamation point). Once you decide and explain what happens we can tell you what to do next.

• 2. Re: Locate files - question
            SarahHerman02 Level 1

All my Washington D.C. photos are in "previous import" - 126 of them.  52 photos are in the Washington D.C. where they were all supposed to be. 

What I would like to do is to clear out "previous Import" and delete the "washington D.C. catalog and then just redo the import. Is that possible. That sure would be easy but I certainly don't want to destabilize the lightroom database.

Thanks for your help.

Sarah

To: Sarah Herman <herman_sarah@yahoo.com>

Sent: Monday, August 24, 2015 4:11 PM

Subject:  Locate files - question

Locate files - question

created by dj_paige in Photoshop Lightroom - View the full discussionNormally, when you have this message "the file is associated with another photo in the catalog", it means you have imported the photo in your catalog twice (not recommended), and you cannot associate the one with the exclamation mark with the other version of the photo in your catalog, which probably doesn't have an exclamation point. So, you need to do a search for this photo in your catalog. Follow all four of these steps:  

- In the library module, on the left, under Catalog, click on All Photographs

- Turn off all filters (Ctrl-L once or twice)

- Expand all stacks (Photo->Stacking->Expand All Stacks)

- Search for one of these photos by file name using the Filter Bar

I suspect you will find two (or more) of the photos with the file name. You have to decide which one you want to keep (probably the one which has the edits). Once you decide and explain what happens we can tell you what to do next. If the reply above answers your question, please take a moment to mark this answer as correct by visiting: https://forums.adobe.com/message/7894042#7894042 and clicking ‘Correct’ below the answer Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page: Please note that the Adobe Forums do not accept email attachments. If you want to embed an image in your message please visit the thread in the forum and click the camera icon: https://forums.adobe.com/message/7894042#7894042 To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at , click "Following" at the top right, & "Stop Following"  Start a new discussion in Photoshop Lightroom by email or at Adobe Community For more information about maintaining your forum email notifications please go to https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1516624.

• 3. Re: Locate files - question
              dj_paige Level 9

Yes, its possible but if you don't do it properly, you could delete the versions of your photos that have the edits and the user supplied metadata, and be left with an unedited photo with no user supplied metadata.

So, let's not talk about "previous import". Did you or did you not find two (or more) copies of an individual photo? Let's talk about the photos that you want to keep -- are these the ones with edits and user supplied metadata? Do the ones you want to keep have an exclamation point? Let's also talk about the ones you don't want to keep -- are these the unedited ones, and do they have an exclamation point or not?

Please let me know.

• 4. Re: Locate files - question
                SarahHerman02 Level 1

I haven't worked on any of them yet - all unedited. No work done.

Sarah

Sent: Monday, August 24, 2015 5:40 PM

Locate files - question

created by dj_paige in Photoshop Lightroom - View the full discussionYes, its possible but if you don't do it properly, you could delete the versions of your photos that have the edits and the user supplied metadata, and be left with an unedited photo with no user supplied metadata. So, let's not talk about "previous import". Let's talk about the photos that you want to keep -- are these the ones with edits and user supplied metadata? Let's talk about the ones you don't want to keep -- are these the unedited ones? Please let me know. If the reply above answers your question, please take a moment to mark this answer as correct by visiting: https://forums.adobe.com/message/7894366#7894366 and clicking ‘Correct’ below the answer Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page: Please note that the Adobe Forums do not accept email attachments. If you want to embed an image in your message please visit the thread in the forum and click the camera icon: https://forums.adobe.com/message/7894366#7894366 To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at , click "Following" at the top right, & "Stop Following" 

Start a new discussion in Photoshop Lightroom by email or at Adobe Community For more information about maintaining your forum email notifications please go to https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1516624.

• 5. Re: Locate files - question
                  dj_paige Level 9

Then go ahead and delete the ones with the exclamation point, and leave the ones that don't have the exclamation point and work on those.

• 6. Re: Locate files - question
                    SarahHerman02 Level 1

All of the files in the "Washington D.C." have exclamation points. None of the files in "previous upload" have an "!". So if I delete each one in the "Washington D.C." catalog, I will have nothing to work on. Are you saying to delete them all then upload again? Won't that confuse the "previous upload" catalog?

-Sarah

Sent: Monday, August 24, 2015 5:52 PM

Locate files - question

created by dj_paige in Photoshop Lightroom - View the full discussionThen go ahead and delete the ones with the exclamation point, and leave the ones that don't have the exclamation point and work on those. If the reply above answers your question, please take a moment to mark this answer as correct by visiting: https://forums.adobe.com/message/7894369#7894369 and clicking ‘Correct’ below the answer Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page: Please note that the Adobe Forums do not accept email attachments. If you want to embed an image in your message please visit the thread in the forum and click the camera icon: https://forums.adobe.com/message/7894369#7894369 To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at , click "Following" at the top right, & "Stop Following"  Start a new discussion in Photoshop Lightroom by email or at Adobe Community For more information about maintaining your forum email notifications please go to https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1516624.

• 7. Re: Locate files - question
                      dj_paige Level 9

If you delete the ones with the exclamation points, and keep the ones that don't have the exclamation points, you're good. You have a set of photos to work on. I don't know why you think you'll have nothing to work on. There's no need to import anything again.

• 8. Re: Locate files - question
                        SarahHerman02 Level 1

All the files in the folder have exclamation points on them. If I delete them all, how will there be anything left in that particular folder to work on.

Folder Washington D.C. - 52 files - all with exclamation points - if I delete each of the 52 files, the total in that file should be 0.Previous Import - all Washington D.C. files - no exclamation points.

I can't work in the "Previous Import" catalog can I?

Sarah

Sent: Monday, August 24, 2015 6:07 PM

Locate files - question

created by dj_paige in Photoshop Lightroom - View the full discussionIf you delete the ones with the exclamation points, and keep the ones that don't have the exclamation points, you're good. You have a set of photos to work on. I don't know why you think you'll have nothing to work on. There's no need to import anything again. If the reply above answers your question, please take a moment to mark this answer as correct by visiting: https://forums.adobe.com/message/7894469#7894469 and clicking ‘Correct’ below the answer Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page: Please note that the Adobe Forums do not accept email attachments. If you want to embed an image in your message please visit the thread in the forum and click the camera icon: https://forums.adobe.com/message/7894469#7894469 To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at , click "Following" at the top right, & "Stop Following" 

Start a new discussion in Photoshop Lightroom by email or at Adobe Community For more information about maintaining your forum email notifications please go to https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1516624.

• 9. Re: Locate files - question
                          dj_paige Level 9

But you specifically said:

"None of the files in "previous upload" have an "!"

Those are the ones you use!

• 10. Re: Locate files - question
                            SarahHerman02 Level 1

Won't they be clobbered when I do another upload. I would think I'd want them in a regular folder.

Sarah

Sent: Monday, August 24, 2015 6:20 PM

Locate files - question

created by dj_paige in Photoshop Lightroom - View the full discussionBut you specifically said: 

"None of the files in "previous upload" have an "!"

Those are the ones you use! If the reply above answers your question, please take a moment to mark this answer as correct by visiting: https://forums.adobe.com/message/7894472#7894472 and clicking ‘Correct’ below the answer Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page: Please note that the Adobe Forums do not accept email attachments. If you want to embed an image in your message please visit the thread in the forum and click the camera icon: https://forums.adobe.com/message/7894472#7894472 To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at , click "Following" at the top right, & "Stop Following" 

• 11. Re: Locate files - question
                              dj_paige Level 9

Since you imported the photos, they must be in a specific folder. If you right-click on one of these photos and select Go To Folder in Library, then the folder it is stored in will be highlighted on the left in the Folder Panel. That way you can always find it. Even better, you can assign keywords and other metadata to the photos as a way to help you find them