5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 25, 2015 11:40 AM by foxy45

Can't burn DVD

foxy45 Level 1

I don't use Premiere Elements on such a regular basis as I tend to do a DVD when I've been on holiday. That said, over the years, I've done scores of such videos.

Currently I'm using Premiere Elements 13, Windows 7 and burn to DVD to play on my DVD recorder attached to my TV . Nothing has changed since my last few videos so I'm at a loss as to what has changed now because my DVD now says 'Cannot play this Disk'

it will still play my previous holiday DVD's though.

And there are no error messages with the burning process. PE says 'completed' in the normal way.

I suspected I may have had a duff empty DVD but I've tried 5 now and none has worked.

Any idea what's going on?

Thanks in advance

• 1. Re: Can't burn DVD
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Set your Premiere Elements DVD output to a folder on your hard drive and then use the FREE Imgburn to burn the folder to disc for DVD

Read http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1322583 for notes on installing Imgburn WITHOUT any toolbar add-ons... Set Imgburn to use the slowest burn speed your drive and media will use... I set my burn speed to 1x and let Imgburn adjust to the actual minimum

• 2. Re: Can't burn DVD
            foxy45 Level 1

Hi John

i'll give that a try later in the week

• 3. Re: Can't burn DVD
              A.T. Romano Level 7

foxy45

Premiere Elements 13/13.1 on Windows 7 64 bit

Have you updated 13 to 13.1 yet using an opened project's Help Menu/Updates? If not, please do that.

From your description, I am assuming that you are using Premiere Elements 13 Publish+Share/Disc/DVD disc with preset either NTSC or PAL Dolby DVD or NTSC or PAL Widescreen Dolby DVD. Please look at the following before you get involved with the popular workaround for burn to disc failures, that is, burn to folder.

Go to Edit Menu/Preferences/Scratch Disks and assure that the category for Disk Encoding is pointed to a hard drive location with lots of free hard drive space.

and now the very important part...

Go to Edit Menu/Preferences/General, find and remove the check mark next to the preference named "Use Hardware Acceleration (works on Intel HD Graphics 2000 or higher)". Then do the burn to disc. Is the burn to disc (DVD-VIDEO on DVD) successful now, including being able to view its contents with your TV DVD player?

What video card/graphics card does your computer use?

Looking forward to your results as your schedule permits.

Thanks.

ATR

Add On...if you are forced into the workaround of burn to folder, the following should be of interest

How to burn a DVD Folder with ImgBurn - AfterDawn: Guides

• 4. Re: Can't burn DVD
                foxy45 Level 1

HI ATR

You sorted me out last time so I'll get on to your suggestions later this week and get back to you.

Regards

• 5. Re: Can't burn DVD
                  foxy45 Level 1

Hi ATR

was already on 13.3 and ok with scratch disk space.

problem was with the Use Hardware Acceleration. Unticked and now all ok,again.

thanks for your help - no way I would have found that myself not least because I've no idea what it means

• 6. Re: Can't burn DVD
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

foxy45

Wonderful news that the problem is resolved with disabling of the preference named "Use Hardware Acceleration (works on Intel HD Graphics 2000 and higher)". Great job of follow through to gain your success.

I started to do some looking at some very basic aspects of this preference and have written about it. Can be found

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE 13/13.1: Hardware Acceleration Preference

Best wishes for great projects.

ATR

• 7. Re: Can't burn DVD
                      foxy45 Level 1

Ah, well as that change came as a default in the update, that would explain why the box was ticked.

i Was sure I hadn't changed any of the settings myself

regards