1 Reply Latest reply on Dec 7, 2006 3:12 PM by Newsgroup_User

attachMovie, loadMovie, MovieClipLoader, etc

jl2000 Level 1
      Hi -
      I'm working on a project showing some video clips. I've converted the video clips to FLV and put each FLV into it's own SWF . Now I want to bring the separate SWFs into a "master.swf", which has a placeholder_mc, on demand. There will be a text list OR a series of buttons that the user will use to select which video clip they want to see and therefore which SWF should be loaded into the master placeholder.

Here's the question:

What is the best Actionscript way of bringing SWFs into that master placeholder?

I've seen tutorials using attachMovie, loadMovie or MovieClipLoader (and a few more) and, since I don't know what I'm doing anyway, I'm not sure which way to go...or whose advice to follow.

Can someone please clear this up for me or point me to a good compare/contrast article?

TIA your assistance.
      JL
        • 1. Re: attachMovie, loadMovie, MovieClipLoader, etc
          Level 7
          > What is the best Actionscript way of bringing SWFs into that master
          > placeholder?
          > I've seen tutorials using attachMovie,

That does not load in other SWF files, it only creates new instance from
          library symbols.

> loadMovie or MovieClipLoader

MovieClipLoader is a class that enhances loadMovie to provide more control
          andinteraction with the loading process (feedback as it loads, events firing
          at various stages etc etc). AFAIK Its always better (or at least, never
          worse) to use MovieClipLoader. Just look at the help file docs on
          MovieClipLoader class that explain what it does.
          --
          Jeckyl