9 Replies Latest reply on Aug 25, 2015 12:30 PM by dj_paige

Filtering Library questions

southwestform Level 1

1. How can I filter my Library to only display photos from the last 2 weeks?

2. How can I filter my Library to only display photos based on a keyword and that have already been edited in LR?

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Filtering Library questions
          dj_paige Level 9

1. Use a smart collection, set the criterion to be Capture Date is after August 10, 2015 (or whatever)

2. Create a smart collection that looks for the keyword AND also has the criterion Develop>Has Adjustments

• 2. Re: Filtering Library questions
            Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

1) Start placing your images in Dated folders by Day or Week. Go to the Filter bar, \ key to activate-deactivate the filter bar, select Metadata and add a column, multi bar icon on the right of the headings. Click the arrows next to None and select Date. you can then expand the years/months to Days and by holding down the Ctrl (Windows) or Command (Mac) key select the last 2 weeks by Days.

2) You can't as far as I know. There is no filter for Edited

• 3. Re: Filtering Library questions
              southwestform Level 1

i have not worked with collections yet.

1. Do I just delete the collection/smart collection when I no longer need it?

2. I'm assuming I can safely delete a collection or a photo in a collection without actually deleting the photo from the library?

thanks.

• 4. Re: Filtering Library questions
                dj_paige Level 9
                1. Yes, you can delete a collection if it is no longer needed
                2. You can delete photos from regular collections if you don't want them in the collection and the actual photo is not deleted; you can't delete photos from a smart collection, you'd have to do something to the photo so it no longer meets the smart collection criterion
                • 5. Re: Filtering Library questions
                  southwestform Level 1

1. are there any advantage to making a smart collection based on 1 or 2 keywords vs. just filtering the library? does it just save a bit of time or are there any other advantages? Or is this not a good use of a smart collection?

2. Can any collection or smart collection be used to synch with LR mobile?

3. Are there any issues with having too many collections/smart collections? I can see myself making many of these.

thanks.

• 6. Re: Filtering Library questions
                    dj_paige Level 9
                    1. This is a very broad question. There is a lot of overlap between smart collections and the Filter Bar, and I doubt I can tell you when you would use one and when you would use the other, a lot of times it boils down to personal preference, other times it boils down to one of those features that doesn't overlap.
                    2. I don't know, I don't use LR mobile, but it would take you five minutes to find out and then you can let us all know
                    3. None that I know of
                    • 7. Re: Filtering Library questions
                      johnrellis Most Valuable Participant
                      Are there any advantages to making a smart collection based on 1 or 2 keywords vs. just filtering the library?

There are some significant differences between filtering and smart collections in general:

1. Filters have significantly fewer criteria and don't allow for arbitrary and/or combinations.

2. To invoke a filter preset takes 2 mouse clicks, whereas invoking a smart collection can take one click (if it's visible in the Collections pane).  That's important to a surprising number of users.

3. Filters intersect with the current source, whereas smart collections union with the current source.  That is, you can use a filter to search a single folder or collection, but you can't (easily) use a smart collection.

For keywords, there's an additional difference: Smart collections don't let you do exact match of keyword names.  E.g. if I have keywords "St. Moritz" and "St. Moritz Cathedral", the smart-collection criterion "Keywords contains all St. Moritz" will match both keywords.  In practice, many people don't care and those that do can work around the problem using additional criteria on an ad hoc basis. But using the Library Filter bar's Metadata > Keywords column, you can match keywords exactly.

These differences between filtering and smart collections are pretty random and not well thought out, but after years of complaints by users, the likelihood that Adobe will do anything is vanishingly small.

• 8. Re: Filtering Library questions
                        Can any collection or smart collection be used to synch with LR mobile?

You can sync any regular collection but not smart collections.  Syncing smart collections with LR Mobile is by far the all-time most popular feature request on the official Adobe feedback forum: Lightroom: Ability to sync Smart Collections to Lightroom Mobile / lightroom.adobe.com. If you care about that, be sure to add your vote and opinion to make it a tiny bit more likely that Adobe will make the feature a priority.

• 9. Re: Filtering Library questions
                          Are there any issues with having too many collections/smart collections? I can see myself making many of these.

To build on dj_paige's reply, there are no technical limitations. However, if you're thinking of using collections to indicate people, places, and events, keywords are generally a better mechanism.  You can more easily intersect keywords than collections  (e.g. find all photos containing John in St. Moritz on last year's European Vacation), and you can search folders and collections by keyword but not by collection.   Keywords can be exported in photos' metadata, viewable by virtually any other photo application and Web service, whereas collections are locked inside LR's catalog.

• 10. Re: Filtering Library questions
                            dj_paige Level 9

To build on dj_paige's reply, there are no technical limitations. However, if you're thinking of using collections to indicate people, places, and events, keywords are generally a better mechanism.  You can more easily intersect keywords than collections  (e.g. find all photos containing John in St. Moritz on last year's European Vacation), and you can search folders and collections by keyword but not by collection.   Keywords can be exported in photos' metadata, viewable by virtually any other photo application and Web service, whereas collections are locked inside LR's catalog.

I wish I had said that. Well, usually I do say that ...