2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 25, 2015 5:24 AM by carlorufinosabusap

Liquefy - applying to a different layer, but in reverse.

carlorufinosabusap

Hello wonderful forum friends.

I'm working on a project where I'm creating the effect of a video that seamlessly loops. I want to achieve the effect without the use of any 3rd party extensions. In the video, I have an actor sitting in a chair who holds a position, does a few actions, then returns to the first position. To make it loop, I've taken a frame from each end of the video and created a new composition. The composition is 3 seconds long. The end frame is seated on top of the beginning frame. The end frame is then morphed using the liquefy effect  to match the begging frame as closely as possible. That morphing is keyframed. So essentially, in 3 seconds, the video subtly returns the actor to the correct position. The opacity is also set to go down as the timeline advances to complete the illusion. My question is, can I apply the morph effect to the bottom later, but in reverse? It'll help shift the two layers together to cover the illusion. I've copied and pasted the liquefy effect onto the bottom layer, but it doesn't actually show the keyframe diamonds. I can usually grab the diamonds and reverse their position, but I can't with liquefy for some reason.

So, how can I apply a reversed liquefy effect to ta different layer? How can I see the keyframes for the liquefy effect?

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Liquefy - applying to a different layer, but in reverse.
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

You can't. Nothing stops you from time-reversing the layer, though, to which you could then apply the effect and after pre-composing you can reverse it back. It's still going to be tricky, but may help.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Liquefy - applying to a different layer, but in reverse.
            Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

When making a loop the best option is to find someplace in the middle of the shot where your actor is moving between the start and end of the loop. For example, if the actor was seated, then he stood, then he sat back down you would cut split the clip where the actor was standing. Now you move the first part of the clip to the end of the timeline and the second part of the clip to the beginning of the timeline so that your loop point is where the actor is standing. Now adjust the overlap so the actor is about in the same position in both clips and work out your transition. If you want to liquify to mask this transition then I'd pick a spot where the actor was as close as he could be to the same position, set the blend mode of the top layer to something like screen or multiply so I could see through the layer, then move back a few frames, set a liquify keyframe, then move to the point where I want to cut between the two frames and use liquify or other distortion tool to make the frames match as closely as possible. I would then set the out point at that frame for the top layer to hide the cut. Now trim your comp so the first and last frame are visible and render or pre-compose and time remap to set up your loop. If you time remap a pre-comp you need to go to the last time remapping keyframe, move back one frame, set a new keyframe, then delete the original last frame and add the expression loopOut() to time remapping and extend the out point to create your loop.

• 3. Re: Liquefy - applying to a different layer, but in reverse.
              carlorufinosabusap Level 1

Aha. Sometimes the simplest is the best. Thanks!