2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 26, 2015 2:25 AM by Per Berntsen

True colors not showing up for unknown reasons?

maomaodoudou

Hello,

I am trying to edit my photographs, so I import them into lightroom then edit them in photoshop. When I am happy with my results, I save it out.

The problem is -- sometimes, the colors don't show up the same as it does on my monitor. When I am looking at them on my tablet or printing them out on quality paper, the colors look very different from when I was editing them on my computer. I cant figure out the reason why, no matter how much I play with it; trying to tinker with the different settings to pinpoint the problem, but to no avail.

I am running Lightroom 5.7-64bit and then export it to either PS CC, or PS CS5, but I still get the same results regardless of what PS I use.

I've also tried editing on 3 different computers with 4 different monitors (all calibrated), so I don't think it is a computer issue, but rather a function I am using in either editing program.

I save them out in RGB and CMYK to test how it looks, but what I get on my tablet and prints are different then my monitor. And I am guessing what is printed out is the most accurate to how it really is, but whatever I do on my monitor, I want it to show up accurately.

What's wrong?

• 1. Re: True colors not showing up for unknown reasons?
          Per Berntsen Adobe Community Professional

I import them into lightroom then edit them in photoshop

I get the impression that you're only using LR as an organizer, that's not a recommendend workflow. You should do as much editing as you can in LR, and only edit in PS when necessary. LR does non-destructive editing, and you can always come back to your image and all your previous edits will be present in the History panel. Not like PS, where the editing steps are gone when you save and close. You will only need to export when you need an image for a specific purpose, and you can then tailor the export settings for that particular purpose.

And I am guessing what is printed out is the most accurate to how it really is

You shoud edit the image to look right on screen, and the try to get the print to match.

Let LR or PS manage the colors, and disable color management in the printer. Use the correct profile for the paper you're using, if available.

Your tablet may not support color management, and will probably not be calibrated, so colors are likely to be wrong.

Images intended for screen viewing should always have the sRGB profile. This maximizes the possibility for it to display correctly, depending on the device and the application, but there is no guarantee.

• 2. Re: True colors not showing up for unknown reasons?
            Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

Bad or incorrect monitor profile. Have you profiled the monitor?

• 3. Re: True colors not showing up for unknown reasons?
              maomaodoudou Level 1

Thank you Mr. Per.

Sorry for the misunderstanding, what I meant was I predominantly do my editing in lightroom then export them into photoshop and edit them their as needed.

However, I think I may have gotten the answer I needed as I am scrubing through all my photos and notice a recurring difference with the color profiling.

But are we sure we don't want to leave it at Adobe RGB?

• 4. Re: True colors not showing up for unknown reasons?
                Per Berntsen Adobe Community Professional

Having your master images in Adobe RGB is fine.

But any image you post on the web, or is intended for screen viewing should be sRGB.

Instead of exporting from LR to PS, you should consider using Photo > Edit in > Photoshop. When you save the file in PS after editing, a copy of the image is brought back into LR, including all your edits from PS. Then export this file as needed from LR.

External editing settings in LR, under Preferences, should look like something like this:

external.png

And there is no need to export until you actually need to use the image for something. Then export according to your needs, for instance with sRGB and suitable pixel dimensions for web use.