8 Replies Latest reply on Dec 8, 2006 5:27 AM by Newsgroup_User

change marquee shape

stringentfink
      Hi - I want to change the shape of a marquee. Currently it is square - I would like to make it round.
      If you know how, please let know.
        • 1. Re: change marquee shape
          Level 7
          Click on the square marquee tool, you should see a little drop down with 2
          options on it. 1 of which is the Oval marquee tool.

"stringentfink" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
          news:el8bv1$t0l$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          | Hi - I want to change the shape of a marquee. Currently it is square - I
          would like to make it round.
          | If you know how, please let know.

• 2. Re: change marquee shape
            stringentfink Level 1
            Hi PJR
            Thanks for your response - I guess that I should have mentioned that I can see a greyed out triangle at the bottom right corner of the marquee tool (and some other tools for that matter), but they do not open any other options for me. None of them seem to work. Its as though they are....well...greyed out! (instead of being black / active)

Is there a switch somewhere to turn these things on??
            • 3. Re: change marquee shape
              Level 7
              You need to open and select your bitmap first.

Those tools won't work for vector images.

What is it you're trying to achieve?

"stringentfink" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
              news:el8p5p$f9j$1@forums.macromedia.com...
              | Hi PJR
              | Thanks for your response - I guess that I should have mentioned that I can
              see
              | a greyed out triangle at the bottom right corner of the marquee tool (and
              some
              | other tools for that matter), but they do not open any other options for
              me.
              | None of them seem to work. Its as though they are....well...greyed out!
              | (instead of being black / active)
              |
              | Is there a switch somewhere to turn these things on??
              |

• 4. Re: change marquee shape
                stringentfink Level 1
                Ahh -Are you saying that I need to converet my image to a bitmap first. - I am working on JPG and/or PNG files.

I want to use the feather tool in conjunction with the marquee to make a round image that "fades" at the edges.
                Kinda give it an "old" look - Like the pics of our great grand parents from the 1920's.
                • 5. Re: change marquee shape
                  Level 7
                  OK, try this...

Use the Ellipse tool from the Vector tools menu. Drag an Oval shape over the
                  area you want your image to be. Set the Edge to Feather in the Property
                  Inspector and choose a value of say 40 (change this to suit your image)

Select your image and the Oval shape (hold down the shift key to select
                  both).

Go to Modify > Mask > Group as Mask.

Does that achieve what you're after?

Peter
                  I am
                  | working on JPG and/or PNG files.
                  |
                  | I want to use the feather tool in conjunction with the marquee to make a
                  round
                  | image that "fades" at the edges.
                  | Kinda give it an "old" look - Like the pics of our great grand parents
                  from
                  | the 1920's.
                  |
                  |

• 6. Re: change marquee shape
                    Level 7
                    stringentfink wrote:
                    > Ahh -Are you saying that I need to converet my image to a bitmap first. - I am
                    > working on JPG and/or PNG files.
                    >
                    > I want to use the feather tool in conjunction with the marquee to make a round
                    > image that "fades" at the edges.
                    > Kinda give it an "old" look - Like the pics of our great grand parents from
                    > the 1920's.
                    >
                    >
                    You can also choose...

Commands/ Creative/ Fade Image

SKB
                    • 7. Re: change marquee shape
                      stringentfink Level 1
                      Wow - Thanks for your input.

Both of these methods work for me - However......

while trying out PJR's method of using the vector toolset, I realised that the active area which displays the additional options for each tool...

A. It is MINUTE
                      B. It seems to move its location - or area where it is active - depending whether it has recently been activated or not ?
                      C. The mouse pointer does not change so as to indicate that it is over the sensitive/active area of the tool.

Perhaps I should have logged this as an "ID 10 T" problem?
                      Anyhow - I have achieved my goal and now I know 2 other methods to achieve the same effect.
                      Thanks again.
                      • 8. Re: change marquee shape
                        Level 7
                        stringentfink wrote:
                        > Wow - Thanks for your input.
                        >
                        > Both of these methods work for me - However......
                        >
                        > while trying out PJR's method of using the vector toolset, I realised that the
                        > active area which displays the additional options for each tool...
                        >
                        > A. It is MINUTE

The whole tool icon is 'active', not just the small arrow. It's not very
                        intuitive. To see the extra tools, you need to 'hold' a mouse click on
                        the icon.

> C. The mouse pointer does not change so as to indicate that it is over the
                        > sensitive/active area of the tool.

The mouse pointer doesn't change but, the tool icons have rollover effects.

SKB