1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 25, 2015 8:32 AM by jamie61880

One dynamic drop down

jamie61880 Level 1

Hi everyone.

I have a page that has 2 dynamic drop down menus in that depending what is selected in the first drop down will display certain criteria in the 2nd drop down. I have this working in one table just fine, but then I tried it in another table and I can't get the code to work for some reason. I can choose the first drop down menu, but then it has a timed out error that displays after I make my first choice. I can't see the Cold Fusion error, so I'm not sure what's wrong. Here's what I have in my table called Elastomer_Cut_Size:

Column Name                    Data Type

ItemID                                   Int

Elastomer Part_Number     nvarchar(50)

X_mm                                   Int

Y_mm                                   Int

Elastomer_Cost                    Money

Cutting_Cost                         Money

K_Factor                            numeric(18,1)

Sell_Price                              Money

Here's the code I have:

<!--- store the selected Main_Group variable variable after the first select boxes submits itself --->

<cfif isDefined('form.select_Elastomer_Part_Number')>

<cfset page.select_Elastomer_Part_Number = form.select_Elastomer_Part_Number>

</cfif>

<cfoutput>

<form name="DropDown" method="post">

<!--- query DB for the first drop down list --->

<cfquery name="get_Elastomer_Part_Number" datasource="#application.DataSource#">

SELECT DISTINCT Elastomer_Part_Number

FROM Elastomer_Cut_Size

ORDER BY Elastomer_Part_Number

</cfquery>

<!--- first drop down list --->

<!--- NOTICE the onChange javascript event in the select tag, this is what submits the form after the first selection --->

<select name="select_Elastomer_Part_Number" required="yes" onchange="this.form.submit()">

<option>Select Part Number</option>

<!--- dynamically populate the first drop down list based on the get_Part_Number query --->

<!--- NOTICE the CFIF within the option tag, this says, if the first selection has been made, display the chosen option when the page reloads --->

<cfloop query="get_Elastomer_Part_Number">

<option value="#Elastomer_Part_Number#" <cfif isDefined('form.select_Elastomer_Part_Number')><cfif form.select_Elastomer_Part_Number eq "#Elastomer_Part_Number#">selected</cfif></cfif>>#Elastomer_Part_Number#</option>

</cfloop>

</select>

<p>

<!--- if the first selection has been made, display the second drop down list with the appropriate results --->

<cfif isDefined('page.select_Elastomer_Part_Number')>

<!--- query DB for second drop down list, based on the selected item from the first list --->

<cfquery name="get_Y" datasource="#application.DataSource#">

SELECT DISTINCT Y_mm

FROM Elastomer_Cut_Size

WHERE Elastomer_Part_Number = #page.select_Elastomer_Part_Number#

ORDER BY Y_mm

</cfquery>

<!--- second drop down list --->

<select name="select_Y" required="yes">

<option>Select Y</option>

<!--- dynamically populate the second drop down list based on the get_X query --->

<cfloop query="get_Y">

<option value="#Y_mm#">#Y_mm#</option>

</cfloop>

</select>

</cfif>

</form>

</cfoutput>

Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong? When I try to run a query for the 2nd drop down is when I have problems.I actually don't even need another drop down to display. I just want whatever part number is chosen in the first drop down, to run a calculation. Each part number has a different calcualation. I can get this to work if I just choose a Part number and display some text under the cfif isDefined('page.select_Elastomer_Part_Number'). But if I try to put a CFQuery after this isDefined, the timed out error displays. Can someone please help me? Thanks.

Andy

• 1. Re: One dynamic drop down
          jamie61880 Level 1

I think I know why this isn't working. I need both drop down menus to be numbers. It doesn't work if I choose a part number first and then a dimension number. The Part Number has letters and numbers. How do I just be able to choose a part number in a drop down menu and then depending what was chosen, it will run a calculation for that part number?

Andy