5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 25, 2015 8:42 AM by jopasnyt

Why does Lightroom not have  "Save as"?

jopasnyt Level 1

Often, when modifying a single image, using "Save as" would be most handy, instead of Export, which is much more complex to use as you have to alter the destination an other things.

Thanks

• 1. Re: Why does Lightroom not have  "Save as"?
          dj_paige Level 9

In other software, Save As is used to prevent you from overwriting the original photo, or to allow you to save multiple different edited versions of a photo. Since Lightroom never overwrites your original, you don't need a Save As for that purpose, and if you want multiple edited versions from one original, you can use virtual copies or snapshots.

Nevertheless, if you want the equivalent of Save As, you can do this through the Export dialog box. I'm not understanding why you want a "Save As" in Lightroom, I'm not understanding why Export doesn't work for you and I don't understand your phrase "... as you have to alter the destination on other things".

• 2. Re: Why does Lightroom not have  "Save as"?
            jopasnyt Level 1

Sorry being inaccurate

When I open an image in Development module, make modifications and start saving it by opening File drop-down. From the list I have choosen, so far, Export. No Lightroom opens an Eport One File where it shows an old location I have been using. So most of the time I have to change this info, because the location is different. My question is simply is there a way, when I open a file it could be returned back to its location just by one click.

Thanks

• 3. Re: Why does Lightroom not have  "Save as"?
              dj_paige Level 9

Well, I have never done it this way, and so I don't really know if there is or is not a way to insist on Lightroom exporting to the same folder as the original. I believe there are plug-ins that can do something like this, such as http://regex.info/blog/lightroom-goodies/folder-publisher

Normally, I don't bother exporting photos, except when I have a specific need to use them outside of Lightroom, and then I export them to a temporary folder. Otherwise, my photos are not exported. To me that seems easier, but perhaps that doesn't meet your needs?

• 4. Re: Why does Lightroom not have  "Save as"?
                Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

There is also an option to Export to original folder or to Ask where you want it exported to, Choose folder later.

Untitled-1.jpg

• 5. Re: Why does Lightroom not have  "Save as"?
                  Per Berntsen Adobe Community Professional

Not sure if I understand what you want to do, but ...

The edits you do in LR are saved automatically to the catalog, and you can close the program, open it again and carry on where you left off.

You can then see your previous edits listed in the History panel. So there is no need (or possibilty) to save the image.

If you need an image for a spesific purpose, use Export.

• 6. Re: Why does Lightroom not have  "Save as"?
                    jopasnyt Level 1

Thanks

Let me ask this way. You pick any image from the Library open it in Development module and make the Enhancements. How to you preserve this image, available for future use and still have the original?

• 7. Re: Why does Lightroom not have  "Save as"?
                      dj_paige Level 9

jopasnyt wrote:

Thanks

Let me ask this way. You pick any image from the Library open it in Development module and make the Enhancements. How to you preserve this image, available for future use and still have the original?

Do nothing.

The original is unchanged (Lightroom never changes the image portion of your original file). The edits are stored in the catalog, and the edited version of the photo is displayed by Lightroom whenever you open it.

• 8. Re: Why does Lightroom not have  "Save as"?
                        Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

You clearly don't understand how LR works.

LR never alters the original image. It Saves all the edits you have done to either the Catalog file or both the catalog file and a XMP sidecar file depending on what option you have selected. Then it APPLIES those edits to the image you are looking at and or working on. To Save a copy of the image you Export it to either a JPG, PSD or TIF file (you can also export as DNG). This Burns in the edits you have done and gives you a New image file. But you can still go back to the original, Erase all or some of the edits you have done or Add New edits to it.

Then those new edits or the ones you removed are either saved to or removed from the catalog file and the XMP sidecar file leaving the original image as it was when you took it and imported it to LR.

LR is a Non Destructive editing program. Even even does this if you are editing JPG files. It always leaves the original Untouched and just ADDS edits to the View of the image.

• 9. Re: Why does Lightroom not have  "Save as"?
                          ankising Adobe Employee

Hi,

Because Lightroom does not work on the actual images but only image previews, you do not have an option of Save as. .

When you make any changes to the image, it only makes that change to the image preview and not the actual image.

Hence, export is the only option in case you want those changes applied to the actual image.

Furthermore, like Just Shoot Me has already pointed out, you can always choose to export the preview to the same folder as the original image, if you want to avoid it asking you the location you want to save it in, each time you export the image.

Hope this helps.

• 10. Re: Why does Lightroom not have  "Save as"?
                            jopasnyt Level 1

Thanks all

This, "don´t have to save" , I did not know or understand. So "brainwashed" was I from the past other applications to make sure to press "Save" after nearly each step. So this seams to explain to me why there is not a save function when you apply a preset as well. thanks again.