13 Replies Latest reply on Aug 26, 2015 12:29 PM by VenturaUser

Question regarding paragraph and character tagged text

VenturaUser Level 1

I've been successful in importing an ASCII document marked up with <pstyle> tagged text to trigger paragraph formatting in ID. However, I'm not sure of the codes to use for character styles of italic. bold, bold italic etc. I tried <cstyle:bold> <cstyle:> for on/off but these did not work. Is it possible to set character level formatting outside ID in ASCII/ANSII text docs so that it will appear as such when placed in ID? Also, on another matter, I have fonts installed on my system (Windows 10) that work in Word etc. but that ID is indicating are not installed. Any suggestions here? Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: Question regarding paragraph and character tagged text
          Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

In InDesign yo should use Paragraph Setyles and Character Styles. There is not such a style bold in professional programs. You have to choose a bold or italic font style and it might have a different name or even a number than bold or italic. and export it as InDesign tagged text and open this in a text editor as it is pure text with style coding.

This style codes you can use to format text and import it into InDesign as preformatted text.

What kind of fonts is causing you problems?

• 2. Re: Question regarding paragraph and character tagged text
            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

You might want to try making some sample text in ID and export it to tagged text to see what different things look like...

• 3. Re: Question regarding paragraph and character tagged text
              VenturaUser Level 1

Thank you both for the suggestion. Exporting as tagged text did reveal the correct coding. For anyone using Indesign CC, it's <cTypeface:Bold Italic> to turn on. <cTypeface:> to turn off. I assume you can substitute whatever variable you need for "Bold Italic."

• 4. Re: Question regarding paragraph and character tagged text

My presumption would be that the designation must match the style naming built into the font, so if it's Oblique rather than Italic it would need to be designated as such.

• 5. Re: Question regarding paragraph and character tagged text

I wouuld strongly recommend not to use that typeface definition at all in the tagged text. Use only paragrapg and character styles. Upon import it will take over the style sheet definition completely. That is what will give you high flexibility in the end.

Am 26.08.2015 um 15:40 schrieb Peter Spier <forums_noreply@adobe.com>:

created by Peter Spier in InDesign - View the full discussion

My presumption would be that the designation must match the style naming built into the font, so if it's Oblique rather than Italic it would need to be designated as such.

If the reply above answers your question, please take a moment to mark this answer as correct by visiting: https://forums.adobe.com/message/7900178#7900178 and clicking ‘Correct’ below the answer

Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page:

Please note that the Adobe Forums do not accept email attachments. If you want to embed an image in your message please visit the thread in the forum and click the camera icon: https://forums.adobe.com/message/7900178#7900178

To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at , click "Following" at the top right, & "Stop Following"

Start a new discussion in InDesign by email or at Adobe Community

For more information about maintaining your forum email notifications please go to https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1516624.

• 7. Re: Question regarding paragraph and character tagged text
                    VenturaUser Level 1

Thank you for the reply. Character level tagging does not seem to work. Below is what I need ID to do. The content under "In this Issue" is generated in a proprietary Microsoft Access database and exported as ASCII text. Each paragraph is formatting correctly using <pstyle>. It's the bold within this paragraph style that I need to have formatted upon import (placement) in ID. This content is overwritten each month with new data and needs to format automatically.Paragraph character tagging.JPG

• 8. Re: Question regarding paragraph and character tagged text

Create a template in InDesign with all styles predefined. So you need not add the style definition in the created file. Use the correct style naming only. InDesign will pick up the correct style based on its name and take the style definition from the document prepaired style.

This allows you to import the same file in different documents with different style definitions. Only the name must be correct.

If you need to adjust your layout on a later point in time you need only change the template’s style definition but need not to bother with the text file. Believe me, you will be thankful for less work and less problems.

Am 26.08.2015 um 20:10 schrieb VenturaUser <forums_noreply@adobe.com>:

created by VenturaUser in InDesign - View the full discussion

Thank you for the reply. Character level tagging does not seem to work. Below is what I need ID to do. The content under "In this Issue" is generated in a proprietary Microsoft Access database and exported as ASCII text. Each paragraph is formatting correctly using <pstyle>. It's the bold within this paragraph style that I need to have formatted upon import (placement) in ID. This content is overwritten each month with new data and needs to format automatically. https://forums.adobe.com/servlet/JiveServlet/downloadImage/2-7901420-808799/Paragraphcharactertagging.JPG

If the reply above answers your question, please take a moment to mark this answer as correct by visiting: https://forums.adobe.com/message/7901420#7901420 and clicking ‘Correct’ below the answer

Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page:

Please note that the Adobe Forums do not accept email attachments. If you want to embed an image in your message please visit the thread in the forum and click the camera icon: https://forums.adobe.com/message/7901420#7901420

To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at , click "Following" at the top right, & "Stop Following"

For more information about maintaining your forum email notifications please go to https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1516624.

• 9. Re: Question regarding paragraph and character tagged text

There's no reason not to define a bold character style in the document, then apply it as a nested line style in the paragraph style definition. I think you should set up a sample that way and export it to tagged text to see the structure.

• 10. Re: Question regarding paragraph and character tagged text
                          VenturaUser Level 1

That's how I was able to determine the <cTypeface> code. The reason I need character level bold as opposed to paragraph level is that the content and length of the bold material changes from entry to entry. Ventura uses old <BI> character style coding which our program inserts where applicable (see below). The em dash which begins the roman (non bold) text is the indicator for the end of the bold in the Access reports. The @TOC Item = information that precedes the text is Ventura's equivalent of <pstyle> coding.

@TOC Item = <BI>Concrete Batching Plant-Use by Right-Sufficient Mitigation Measures-Air Quality-Sound-Traffic-Tolling of Subdivision Freeze<D>--After nine days of trial, Justice Keith C. Long ruled that a proposed concrete batching plant along the Mass Pike in Framingham on a site grandfathered by definitive plan could be constructed by right because the project's impacts were sufficiently mitigated to qualify for a bylaw safe harbor. Extensive testimony by experts demonstrated that traffic, sound, and air-quality impacts would be sufficiently mitigated to avoid special permitting under Framingham's archaic industrial-use bylaws. Paulini Loam LLC v. Ottaviana (Decision)    436

• 11. Re: Question regarding paragraph and character tagged text
                            VenturaUser Level 1

Thanks. That's how I got the code. The reason I need character level as opposed to paragraph level is that Access exports the ASCII reports with code for the bold portion of the material. The bold and roman text are all part of the same Access data field. The em dash is the indicator for the bold to stop. Here is the current code from the ASCII report for Ventura for one of the entries:

@TOC Item = <BI>Concrete Batching Plant-Use by Right-Sufficient Mitigation Measures-Air Quality-Sound-Traffic-Tolling of Subdivision Freeze<D>--After nine days of trial, Justice Keith C. Long ruled that a proposed concrete batching plant along the Mass Pike in Framingham on a site grandfathered by definitive plan could be constructed by right because the project's impacts were sufficiently mitigated to qualify for a bylaw safe harbor. Extensive testimony by experts demonstrated that traffic, sound, and air-quality impacts would be sufficiently mitigated to avoid special permitting under Framingham's archaic industrial-use bylaws. Paulini Loam LLC v. Ottaviana (Decision)    436

A paragraph level tag can get me everything but the bold portion. For that, I need character level.

• 12. Re: Question regarding paragraph and character tagged text
                              VenturaUser Level 1

Sorry for the duplicate post. I was logged out of the discussion and it looked like it did not go through.

• 13. Re: Question regarding paragraph and character tagged text

For character level formatting use character styles. That’s what they are made for.

If you import in a template with character and paragraph styles the is no need to add preceeding code.

Am 26.08.2015 um 21:06 schrieb VenturaUser <forums_noreply@adobe.com>:

created by VenturaUser in InDesign - View the full discussion

Thanks. That's how I got the code. The reason I need character level as opposed to paragraph level is that Access exports the ASCII reports with code for the bold portion of the material. The bold and roman text are all part of the same Access data field. The em dash is the indicator for the bold to stop. Here is the current code from the ASCII report for Ventura for one of the entries:

A paragraph level tag can get me everything but the bold portion. For that, I need character level.

If the reply above answers your question, please take a moment to mark this answer as correct by visiting: https://forums.adobe.com/message/7901669#7901669 and clicking ‘Correct’ below the answer

Please note that the Adobe Forums do not accept email attachments. If you want to embed an image in your message please visit the thread in the forum and click the camera icon: https://forums.adobe.com/message/7901669#7901669

• 14. Re: Question regarding paragraph and character tagged text

Sorry, I didn't look closely enough at the example and thought it was just the first line in bold, but it does look like bold up to an em dash, and that's a simple nested character style. I'm not a Ventura user, so I don't know if it has nested styles, but this is a very basic construct in ID, and one you would want to use. Even if you decide not to use the nested style, you should still use a character style, rather than "local formatting override" to set that text to bold.

Unless you actually build a sample in ID using the correct formatting techniques you won't likely get the correct syntax for your tagged text.

• 15. Re: Question regarding paragraph and character tagged text
                                    VenturaUser Level 1

Thanks again. I've taken a quick look at the nested styles information and will research that further. Either way, it looks like I will be able have ID do what I need it to do. As much as I love the power of Ventura, we need to migrate to a platform that will be supported for the foreseeable future. I'm sure I will be back often once I get the paid version of ID. I've been trying to do as much due diligence as I can with the trial version.