6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 26, 2015 5:27 AM by patStMartin

Need help creating PDF from InDesign CS6 document.

patStMartin

Using InDesign CS6 (Windows). All of a sudden today I can't export my document to a PDF. Nothing happens. Ideas? I've used this for a long time with no problems, created PDFs from this document a week or two ago, now it just won't create. Tried various Adobe presets, "export" .... nothing works.

• 1. Re: Need help creating PDF from InDesign CS6 document.
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Does anything happen at all (the background task starts, but hangs, for example)?

• 2. Re: Need help creating PDF from InDesign CS6 document.
            smoothsea Level 3

Hi,

I know you said that you have exported PDFs from this document before, but as a test, try creating a new document and exporting it to PDF. Let's see if we can narrow things down to whether it's the file or the system configuration.

Regards,

Malcolm

• 3. Re: Need help creating PDF from InDesign CS6 document.
              patStMartin Level 1

Peter, No, it seems as though NOTHING happens. I did, however, see in the folder where I was trying to save the file, two things: A file with the file name I was giving the document, with 0 kb as the size -- but this this later disappeared and there was no file. Second, a file with an idlk extension, also with kb as the file size. That file is still there, but nothing else.  The document is pretty large. I am quite sure that the last time I created a pdf of the file, I actually saw a little window showing the file creation, page by page -- I remember this because at that time, it was getting stuck on one page that had a problem image on it. After I replaced the image, the PDF creation worked fine. But I do remember watching INDD go through each page as it created the PDF.

I am able to create PDFs from other documents on my drive.

• 4. Re: Need help creating PDF from InDesign CS6 document.
                smoothsea Level 3

Hi,

Making PDFs as a background task (as it is now) came in quite a few versions ago, so the progress window that you described indicates that you are making PDFs differently from that recommended. Are you printing to PostScript and then distilling the postscript file? You should be choosing File>export ... and then selecting "Adobe PDF (Print) (*.pdf)" as your type.

Having said that, if you can create PDFs from other documents, then it does sound like a problem with this particular document. Try saving the file as .idml, and then open it again and try your export.

Regards,

Malcolm

• 5. Re: Need help creating PDF from InDesign CS6 document.
                  patStMartin Level 1

Malcolm,

Thanks for that info.  Thinking back, the "progress window" actually came up when I was creating the PDF using Adobe PDF presets that the printing company had given me -- which includes the settings for crop marks, bleeds, etc etc.  I've been using INDesign (and before that, Pagemaker) for a long time -- and somewhere along the way, was told to NOT use "export," but to use the Adobe presets. I normally only use Export for lower-quality documents that I'm just sharing with folks via email.

Tonight, though, I was actually trying to create the PDF using the method you described -- going to File / Export and then naming the file/selecting the destination location, because I wasn't creating the PDF for print, just for web use.

I have been monkeying with this thing for  hours -- and now I think the problem may be related to the size of the file. After re-starting my computer, closing everything else that was running, I was able to create PDFs by exporting half of the document at a time. I'm thinking now this must be a memory issue of some kind, although I haven't run into it before.  This isn't what I wanted to do, but I will re-assemble the document in Acrobat, putting the two halves together.

Thank you guys for your help. It's been a long, frustrating day ... and of course, problems only crop up when one is up against a deadline.

Pat

• 6. Re: Need help creating PDF from InDesign CS6 document.
                    Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

It could be a system resources issue (being able to export chunks suggests that), but for more troubleshooting advice see Adobe Community: File Crashing on Output - printing/PDF/other

• 7. Re: Need help creating PDF from InDesign CS6 document.
                      patStMartin Level 1

Thank you, guys, for the help. I think Peter's right -- probably just inability of this computer to handle the load. I will soon be using a new computer that should have more zip to it and hopefully this problem won't crop up again. I was just SO frustrated, needing to get this project out the door and having NO luck in creating that PDF. Having someone to "talk it through" with is a help.... got my brain back on track.