13 Replies Latest reply on Sep 4, 2015 1:19 PM by A.T. Romano

slideshow does not show selected photos

Starchu

I am trying to create a slideshow. I have followed the tutorial instructions and selected the photos. However, when I run the slideshow, the wrong photos come up. And, oddly the captions that go with the correct selected photos run underneath the incorrect photos. I need help!

• 1. Re: slideshow does not show selected photos
          A.T. Romano Level 7

jeannettec

What version of Premiere Elements and on what computer operating system is it running?

Are you creating the slideshow in the Premiere Elements Editor workspace only, or are you using Elements Organizer to create your slideshow?

What is the destination for viewing this slideshow - computer or TV DVD player or Blu-ray player?

What are the pixel dimensions of the photos in the slideshow and how many of them are there?

Are you following the slideshow instructions specific to the version of the product that you have?

Please supply more information.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: slideshow does not show selected photos
            Starchu Level 1

I am using the Premiere Elements 13 (version 13.1) organizer on a iMac desktop running OS X 10.9.5. I am following the slideshow instructions specific to my product.

I am using the organizer to create the slideshow.The destination for viewing is my computer.

I have 40 photos in the slideshow. The pixel dimensions all vary--3924 x 2616,  3376 x 2251, etc.

• 3. Re: slideshow does not show selected photos
              A.T. Romano Level 7

jeannetter

Thanks for the reply with more details of your Premiere Elements 13/13.1 Mac slideshow issues.

My first impression is that the 40 photos are oversized for the project (1280 x 720 or 1920 x 1080) and also have a frame aspect ratio of 3:2 rather than video's 4:3 or 16:9. The number of these photos as well as their resolution needs to be ruled in or out as the cause of or contributor to the problems.

Your level of computer resources often dictates just how far you can get away with in one of these projects before photo resizing becomes necessary. If photo frame aspect ratio as well as photo dimension becomes a problem, then photo cropping/resizing is indicated instead of just photo resizing.

Please consider. Any questions, please do not hesitate to ask. We will be looking forward to your results as your schedule permits.

Thank you.

ATR

• 4. Re: slideshow does not show selected photos
                Starchu Level 1

Thank you for the suggestions.

I attempted to run the slide show with 5-6 different photos of a much smaller size. The same problem occurred: the slideshow ran one photo over and over (it seems like the slideshow defaults to this one photo) from another album with captions from the 5-6 selected photos.

• 5. Re: slideshow does not show selected photos
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Starchu

Thanks for the follow up. Let us see if you can find the reason for the slideshow presenting as it is.

Given that you are in the Elements Organizer 13/13.1, you select the photos that you want in the slideshow. You click Create/Slideshow.

You select a theme - what theme are you selecting? At that point the slideshow in the theme should go into automatic previewing? In the preview what do you see - just the one photo only?

During the previewing you should see a vertical bar with choices below the slideshow. One of them is Edit. Hit Edit to bring up the Slideshow Builder. How many thumbnails representing your pictures do you see?

Based on the above details, we will decide what next.

Thanks.

ATR

• 6. Re: slideshow does not show selected photos
                    Starchu Level 1

I have tried all the themes with the same results. When the automatic previewing begins, I see one photo only (one that was not selected).

When I hit edit, the add media screen appears which show the thumbnails of the photos I had originally selected for the slideshow. It's baffling, because those captions show up on the one photo.

Thank you for helping.

• 7. Re: slideshow does not show selected photos
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Starchu

Thanks for the update.

1. Are you working with the 40 photos at 1920 x 1080 or lesser resolution?

Does the problem disappear if you used 10 instead of 40 photos, even if 1920 x 1080?

2. Have you started a new project and gotten the same results?

3. If all else is not working to explain this one, instead of 40, photos slideshow, then delete or disable the Elements Organizer 13/13.1 settings file named psa.prf . I am strictly an Elements Windows user, so I am not sure where this file is in Mac. The following is the path in Windows 7, 8, 8.1, or 10 64 bit.

Local Disk C

Users

Owner

AppData

Roaming

Adobe

Elements Organizer

Organizer

and in the Organizer Folder is the psa.prf file that you delete or disable by renaming it specifically to psa.prfOLD.

I am hoping that you can translate that into a Mac location.

4. You could consider a program uninstall reinstall, but let us see if we make any progress resolving this issue with the suggestions above.

Thanks.

ATR

Add On...Not sure if the following helps location the psa.prf if one exists in Mac

Preference file locations | Photoshop Elements and Premiere Elements

• 8. Re: slideshow does not show selected photos
                        Starchu Level 1

I tried running the slideshow with 4 photos, all around 958x639 with same results, that none of the selected photos appear.

I will attempt what you suggested with the psa.prf.

Out of my curiosity, what will happen to my photos (albums, captions, etc.) if I do an uninstall/reinstall?

Thank you.

• 9. Re: slideshow does not show selected photos
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Starchu

None of your projects should be affected by program uninstall reinstall. The items in jeopardy would be any user customized items. And, you would go back to default preferences.

If any doubts, back up those items of concern.

You know what might be interesting....even though your preview is not displaying correctly....what happens if you export the slideshow to 720p or 1080p? Does the export then display 1 photo or more than 1? You might want to rule that factor in or out before any uninstall reinstall.

ATR

• 10. Re: slideshow does not show selected photos
                            Starchu Level 1

I created a slideshow using 6 relatively small files and exported it to my desktop. What I ended up with was a slide show with 4 correct photos and the incorrect photo that appears 4 times (same photo that pops up on each attempt to make a slide show). Very bizarre.

I have not been able to change to psa filename because I cannot locate it. This is as far as I got:

AdobeMac.png

• 11. Re: slideshow does not show selected photos
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

Starchu

If you have gone as far as you can in the path and do not find a file that is the Elements Organizer settings (preferences) file (named psa.prf or other), then, before we give up on that approach, make sure your computer is not set to hide certain files and folders. I found the following online...does this help in determining if hiding files is in effect?

Quickly Show/Hide Hidden Files on Mac OS X Mavericks & Yosemite | Ian Lunn - Web Designer & Front-end Developer

It may be time for the uninstall, free ccleaner, reinstall.

Piriform - CCleaner Mac

ATR

• 12. Re: slideshow does not show selected photos
                                Starchu Level 1

I could not find the psa.prf file after following the instructions for finding hidden files.

I am going to uninstall. I just want to be sure I will not lose albums and captions. You previously stated that I might lose user customized items? What exactly does that mean?

• 13. Re: slideshow does not show selected photos
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Starchu

Thanks for the update.

User customized items...the following is what I was referring to

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE: Saving Project/Program Assets Before Uninstall

I never looked specifically at the loss of albums and captions after an uninstall. But I do not believe (99% certainty) that they should be affected by a program uninstall/reinstall. But...you could backup the Elements Organizer catalog before the uninstall.

Elements Organizer Help | Backup or restore catalogs

Or, a counterpart might be to copy/save the Catalogs Folder and replace it (if necessary) after the reinstall. On Windows - not sure where this would be on Mac....

See Local Disk C\Program Data\Adobe\Elements Organizer\Catalogs

Looking forward to learning of your progress as your time permits.

Thank you.

ATR