9 Replies Latest reply on Aug 31, 2015 8:02 PM by A.T. Romano

what is it and how can I get rid of it?

CJCamp

I know what the little purple flag is doing, but I don't know what it's called, so I don't know how to ask for help regarding making it go away!

Little help? Thanks.

purpleflag.PNG

• 1. Re: what is it and how can I get rid of it?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

cjcamp

What version of Premiere Elements do you have, and on what computer operating system is it running.

What you show in your screenshot is the Timeline Indicator and the thin blue horizontal line near its blue head represents a frame unit of the Timeline.

The Timeline Indicator (referred to also as the CTI) is a vital part of the Premiere Elements workspace and you surely do not want to get rid of it.

To clarify further, here the Timeline Indicator is made up of a red stem with a blue head. You cannot remove the blue head from the Timeline Indicator. The blue horizontal line to the right of that blue head is a Timeline frame unit.

We can point you to key information on Premiere Elements workspace and the rest. Just let us know the version and computer operating system.

The following are the links to the current version (13) Help PDF files

For Premiere Elements 13...https://helpx.adobe.com/pdf/premiere-elements_reference.pdf

For Elements Organizer 13...https://helpx.adobe.com/pdf/elements-organizer_reference.pdf

Also, see Adobe Premiere Elements Help | Adobe Premiere Elements Help

Any questions or need clarification on the above, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: what is it and how can I get rid of it?
            CJCamp Level 1

Hi. I'm using Elements 12 on Windows 7, and it's the Timeline frame unit I'd like to disable or eliminate or whatever one would do to get rid of it. It appeared when I hit some keys by accident and it's leaving a frame when I push/tuck footage from the left. I'm going home now, but I'll get back to this tomorrow. I'm learning this more or less on the fly at work, and I'm getting along pretty well, but this has me stumped. I appreciate the help. At least I know what to call it!

Thanks.

CJ

• 3. Re: what is it and how can I get rid of it?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

CJ

Thanks for the follow up with the additional comments. I will zero in on the frame unit blue horizontal line.

Bottom line is that you cannot remove it from the program so that it is gone for good. But, you can control when you see it. And, there are times when you want to see it.

There is a -+ slider above the Timeline which is used to expand the Timeline. If you work with the -+ slider at the default zoom in out level, you will not see the frame unit being displayed with the blue horizontal line. But, when you expanded the Timeline with the -+ slider, you will see it as a consequence of zooming in.

To prove it to yourself, compare the appearance of the blue horizontal line (frame unit) at various positions of the -+ slider, going left to right (zoom out to zoom in).

Please consider, and then let me know if you are OK with the information.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: what is it and how can I get rid of it?
                CJCamp Level 1

OK, I follow what you are saying, and I did notice that I can't see it when I zoom out. But that's how I noticed the problem. I would trim a clip and there was one frame still left on the left side of the clip. The frame unit is blocking that frame from being trimmed, or pushed into the main clip.

From what you are saying, it is always there, and will always be there. Do you have any idea why, when I trim from the left- by pulling the red bracket-looking thing to the splice in the clip- that one frame remains, and I can't completely make it flush with the splice? I was doing it before, and now I'm unable to do it.

Thanks for the help.

CJ

• 5. Re: what is it and how can I get rid of it?
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

CJ

Check this out to make sure we are OK on this.

The following is an assortment of facts...

• The blue horizontal line is a gradation on the Timeline which represents a frame unit. It is seen when you zoom in on the Timeline.
                  • Below the Edit Monitor is a timecode, 00;00;00;00 (hours;minutes;seconds;frames). If you want, you can replace that Timeline with a frame readout. You do this by holding down the Ctrl key as you click on the timecode version under the Edit area monitor.
                  • Wherever the Timeline Indicator is positioned on the Timeline, that will be the time represented in the timecode or frame readout.
                  • When you want to move from frame to frame in the Timeline content (whether you see the blue frame unit or not), you use the right or the left arrow key..one tap at a time.

The blue horizontal frame unit is not going to flush when you trim that clip because it is a Timeline unit. It is not attached to the clip, but is rather a ruler of sorts above the clip. After a trim of 2 frames from the clip and moving the Timeline Indicator to the end of the clip, you should now see the timecode or frame reading below the monitor 2 frames less than before.

ATR

• 6. Re: what is it and how can I get rid of it?
                    CJCamp Level 1

Here's a quick clip.

• 7. Re: what is it and how can I get rid of it?
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

CJ

We have already mention the blue horizontal line as a representation of a frame unit.

Now you are introducing the concept of what happens when you trim a clip in the Timeline with the scissors tab located on the stem of the Timeline Indicator or use the Trim-in and Trim-out icons. When you trim the clip there, you did not trim the frames away. They are hidden. And, are referred to a clip handles. They become significant especially in the placement of transitions.

Focus point - say you trim a clip at the right edge of the clip. You can drag on that right edge to recover the part of the clip that you just trimmed away and get back the whole clip.

Similarly, if you trim a clip at the left edge of the clip, you can drag on that left edge to recover the part of the clip that you just trimmed away and get back the whole clip again.

In what you are doing, I believe that you are exposing the trim frames that were trimmed away. You wonder about that small piece that emerges when you expand the Timeline. I would say that is the part of the clip that you just trimmed away. The left edge is not going to be dragged out since it is the beginning of the whole clip. And, the right edge of the piece is "boxed in" by the trimmed kept clip on the right. With the mouse cursor click and drag the small piece to another video track. Now with the mouse curse click and draw on the right edge of it. Do you recover the whole clip from which it came?

That is my take on what you described. Please consider.

Thanks.

ATR

Add On....in your case, you could have cut with the scissors tool, deleted the piece to the left of the cut, and still gotten the beginning of the original clip back on the Timeline by dragging the left edge of the remain clip.

• 8. Re: what is it and how can I get rid of it?
                        CJCamp Level 1

OK, I believe I get it now. I really appreciate the help.

CJ

• 9. Re: what is it and how can I get rid of it?
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

CJ

Thanks for the update and the good news that the information is falling into place. The concept of trimming clips and the resulting hidden frames (handles) is not the easiest of the Premiere Elements principles.

So, glad you asked and glad we could help. Never hesitate to ask questions and ask for clarification on any these Premiere Elements workflow matters.

Best wishes moving forward with your Premiere Elements projects.

ATR