4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 31, 2015 1:14 PM by Szalam

Composition window takes 30-60 seconds to update

theforester000 Level 1

Windows 10, After Effects CC 2015, No-plugins being used. i7 4770k, 32 gb ram, GTX 470

I have a composition, even reduced the size. I'm working in 32-bit, and it's not an option to not work in 32-bit. This may be the issue but it's still ridiculous. I make one change, doesn't matter the chang. Could just be the jpeg background and the composition window will not update, it doesn't show a progress bar and it doesn't update the window for at least 30 seconds, sometimes it is minutes later. As you can imagine this is no way to work when I simple want to see what one layer is doing by turning it on and off.

I don't know how else to describe this issue. Questions are welcomed. I would just really like to find a solution.

• 1. Re: Composition window takes 30-60 seconds to update
          theforester000 Level 1

In an attempt to solve this issue I got a GTX 970 4gb video memory, and a 250gb Samsung Evo for cache and nothing else. This has done very little in terms of improvement. This is a serious issue that I have seen on at least 3 other computers. And yet this gets no response from adobe. Come on guys. I'm willing to run tests, turn over logs, whatever. Just let me know what you need.

• 2. Re: Composition window takes 30-60 seconds to update
            Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

theforester000 wrote:

And yet this gets no response from adobe. Come on guys. I'm willing to run tests, turn over logs, whatever. Just let me know what you need.

This is a user-to-user forum, not an official way to contact Adobe. (I know their website doesn't actually make this very clear.) If you want help from users like us, we can try to help!

If you want official help from Adobe, contact Adobe support.

If you think you've found a bug, file a bug report, give as much info as you can, and share project files, logs, etc. with them.

I don't have a Windows 10 machine here to try to duplicate your issue, but most other folks on Windows 10 that I've talked to aren't having the problem you describe. Could you go into more detail as to your composition settings and the contents of that comp? If you make a brand new composition using one of the HD composition presets, make a shape layer, and then change an attribute on that shape layer, does it behave?

• 3. Re: Composition window takes 30-60 seconds to update
              theforester000 Level 1

Yeah, you're right. Sometimes I do see Todd Kopirova or someone respond though. Anywho.

The composition as is:

4K UHD

32-bit

4 EXR sequences (Although I replaced this with a tiff sequence to try to reduce processing requirements, but it had no noticeable effect)

A 6K psd image, 2 instances.

A 4K, tiff sequence (matte) precomped and 3 or 4 instances

About 50 animated shape layers with trim paths

36 White 200x200px squares with Noise, an RG Universe plugin, and a turbulent displace (Although I kept this turned off for most of it as it completely stalled out the system for minutes)

A particular layer (1 instance)

A starglow effect on the 6K psd

183 frames long.

And I think that's mostly it. Sounds like a lot, but I had a 6K comp using red footage and about 7 layers of particular with sever hundred thousand particles going on all at once, plus element 3d, keying, RSMB, and some other stuff going on, on an iMac last year using CC 2014 and it ran faster than what I'm getting now. And that previous project was also using a 32-bit comp. I should just re-install 2014, there is backwards compatibility right?

I did a similar test last night. It was in a 4K comp, with a 200x200 white solid and I dragged it around, it went to adaptive resolution while dragging but it updated in real time.

I'm willing to accept (as a last resort) that there is something with the software on my system and I need to do a complete re-install. Although, I'm not willing to do that before the project is over, which doesn't help me in this situation. There was a slight issue with Mocha, I had about 35 rotosplines all turned on at once and playback was about half real time. But, if I toggled off the splines I wasn't paying attention to at the time, it played back in real time no problem. So I suspect that behavior is to be expected (obviously not an Adobe product, but I thought I'd mention it).

• 4. Re: Composition window takes 30-60 seconds to update
                Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If it works just fine in CC 2015 with only a solid, I wonder if it's one of the third-party plugins having an issue. You did download the updated versions of all your plugins when you updated to CC 2015, right? A lot of them needed to be updated to work properly.

If I have time when I get home tonight, I'll try to recreate your conditions on my Windows 7 machine and see if I can get a similar problem.

theforester000 wrote:

. I should just re-install 2014, there is backwards compatibility right?

Yes! AE CC 2014 can open project files created or saved in AE CC 2015.

How to Find and Install Previous Version of Adobe Apps in CC 2015 | Adobe Customer Care Team

If that project file works just fine in CC 2014, I would highly recommend filing a bug report and make sure you mention that it works in CC 2014 (and please let us know too).