3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 26, 2015 12:20 PM by johnrellis

How to shift create date of 300+ pictures for 22min 03 sec?

tommir68403492

Hallo,

i have here a buch of pictures (more than 300) which are made with two diffrent cameras. Booth cameras had diffrent time setup (difference is 22 min and 3 sec). Does anyone know how to shift all pictures of one camera for this value?

LR can just adjust full hours (to adjust TimeZone) or shift time for a single picture.

I tried ExifTool, which works well but it just shift the time in the CR2, not in XMP. So LR dont see this shifted time (even not at a new import, because CreateDate seems to get read from XMP (if exist) and not from CR2-file). I cant delete the XMP because all pictures are tagged and processed.

Has anyone a idea how it can work?

Thank you

Enrico

• 1. Re: How to shift create date of 300+ pictures for 22min 03 sec?
          Lr5user-pt Level 2

Select all photos you want changed and go to Metadata>Edit Capture Time. Select the first option (Adjust to a specific date and time) and correct the time by the 22 min and 3 sec  you need. All selected photos will be shifted by that same amount, not to the absolute time you specified. See the explanation on the upper part of that dialog box. Of course you will have to send the metadata again to the xmp files, but that's trivial.

• 2. Re: How to shift create date of 300+ pictures for 22min 03 sec?
            tommir68403492 Level 1

Thanks, it works. I use a german LR and the description is not clear. Sounds thats all pictures will set to the same date/time.

I checked the changes with EXIFtool. Lightroom did just change DateTimeOriginal, not CreateDate (same problem in CR2 and XMP). Thats no problem for the moment but maybe if i change later the programm. Did you know how to change the CreateDate too with Lightroom?

Thanks

Enrico

• 3. Re: How to shift create date of 300+ pictures for 22min 03 sec?
              Lr5user-pt Level 2

Sorry, I'm not aware of any way to change CreateDate directly in LR. As a side note, the Lightroom SDK includes a function (photo:setRawMetadata()) that can access these fields, so maybe someone wrote a LR plug-in that does exactly what you need.

• 4. Re: How to shift create date of 300+ pictures for 22min 03 sec?
                johnrellis Most Valuable Participant
                Lightroom did just change DateTimeOriginal, not CreateDate (same problem in CR2 and XMP).

Which CreateDate are you referring to?  Note that there is a confusingly named set of metadata dates.

EXIF:DateTimeDigitized (called CreateDate by Exiftool) is the date the image was converted to digital form. This is usually the same as EXIF:DateTimeOriginal (capture date) for pics from digital cameras, but is usually different for scans of analog film and prints.   EXIF:DateTimeDigitized is also stored in XMP:CreateDate and IPTC:DigitalCreationDate/Time.

LR does not ever change EXIF:DateTimeDigitized.   One minor release of Metadata > Edit Capture Time also set EXIF:DateTimeDigitized as well as EXIF:DateTimeOriginal, but Adobe quickly backed out that change, since some number of people had scans in their LR catalogs with carefully set DateTimeDigitized different than DateTimeOriginal.

If you are referring to the file system's Date Created (as seen in the Finder or File Explorer), LR makes no attempt to preserve that date for files.

• 5. Re: How to shift create date of 300+ pictures for 22min 03 sec?
                  johnrellis Most Valuable Participant
                  The Lightroom SDK includes a function (photo:setRawMetadata()) that can access these fields

Unfortunately, the SDK doesn't let you change the metadata date fields. The Exif To Capture Time plugin provides a handy way of running Exiftool from within LR -- that could make it easier to use Exiftool to set EXIF:DateTimeDigitized or other metadata date fields.