Time remapping one subcomp relative to main comp

liam@big

Hi,

Long post coming up, but it is quite hard to explain:

Okay, so I have 3 comps:

A - Main comp which is the top level.

B - Transition animation

C - Video to be used in the transition.

I am working on making a showreel template and have created a series of comps to transition using a 3D folding style, like paper.

Because there are various video sizes I decided to individually animate the transitions between one size and the other. The problem now is that because I want to alternate which composition is used for which transition I don't want to have to make 3 comps for each video, i.e "transition in", "static", "transition out". The reason for this is that if I want to change something at a later date, I don't want to have to go back and change every single thing one bit at a time.

What I thought I should do is have one long comp with all the video in one big timeline and have the video animated within the transition as normal, but rather than the timeline be relative to the Transition timeline, have it relative to the Main timeline. So no matter where in the timeline I have a Transition, the Video, will always be at the correct time, relative to the Main comp.

I tried putting a dummy comp called Time in the Main comp, enabling Time Remapping, then enabling Time Remapping in the Video layer of the Transition comp and pickwicking the Time Remapping of the Video to the Time Remap of the Time comp in the Main comp.

This is a diagram of what I mean, showing the time of each composition.

Video is in the Transition comp and Transition is in the Main comp.

I moved the Transition comp to 2 seconds to see if the times were correct. I want the Video's time to be at 4 seconds, the same as the Main and irrespective of the Transition.

problem.jpg

I know this sounds confusing. Maybe I haven't explained it in the best possible way but my brain is pretty fried by the fact that it doesn't seem to take notice of the expression. If there is anyone out there who might be able to shed some light on what to do, you would really be helping me out.

Thanks.

Liam.

• 1. Re: Time remapping one subcomp relative to main comp
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Not really. This will never work for a million reasons. You're trying to be über-efficient for all the wrong reasons. The obvious answer is that you need to restructure your project, otherwise you will have to keep frying your brain over the temporal logic and implement complex expressions that compensate for things like users changing in-points and durations, trimming stuff and so on. It is inevitably bound to fail.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Time remapping one subcomp relative to main comp
            liam@big Level 1

Hi,

thanks for the response. Unfortunately, doing it manually is not an option. I want to create a robust and adaptable template, which can be adjusted for around 40 video clips of 4 or 5 different sizes. I need to find a way to be able to transition between each one using the same style of animation and be able to easily switch between one clip and another. The planes in the animation would need to be video. I think that "inevitably bound to fail" and "never work for a million reasons" isn't really helpful. I appreciate your response but there must be a way to do this. If I need to restructure my project then a point in the right direction or insight into a handful of these million reasons, would be much more helpful.

To better illustrate what I want to achieve here is GIF of the animation. It consists of 4 comps at the moment...

• 300x250 Static
            • 300x250 > 728x250 Transition
            • 728x250 > 728x90 Transition
            • 728x90 Static

I want to put video into these transitions and be able to create a showreel of several videos. In my experience taking the time to be efficient save much time in the long run and if there is need to completely restructure then I would love to hear your suggestions as to how you would do it.

paper2.gif

Thanks!

Liam

• 3. Re: Time remapping one subcomp relative to main comp
              Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Are you scaling for your transition or adjusting a mask. If you are scaling then you can write an expression that looks at the in and out point of the video and animates the transition based on height and width sliders or based on the frame size of the layer. For example if you have a layer that is 300 X 200 you could write an expression that sampled the height and width of the layer, then looked for the out point and backed up a certain amount of time and started to scale X and Y from the original size to 720 X 250 and then faded out of that layer. You could save that as an animation preset.

Now you add another layer that is 720 X 250 and you write an expression that looks at the in and out point of the layer and starts a measured fade in then a scale value to change it to 729 X 90 and holds until the out point.

Now you just sequence your layers by the overlap set in your expression using the Keyframe Assistant then apply the animation presets to the first layer and then to the second layer.

The problem in us working out a solution is that we don't know the original size of the footage, whether you want to scale it, whether you want to animate masks. There are just too many variables. I have about 250 animation presets in my library that I have written over the years. About 200 of them are for layer transitions based on in and out point. For example if I want to have layers fly in from the left, bounce to a stop and then fall off the bottom of the screen I can use the animation preset. If I have 50 layers all set up in Illustrator on separate layers I can import the file as a comp retaining layer sizes, select all layers in the comp, trim them to 4 seconds, sequence the layers with a 20 frame overlap, select all of the layers and apply my fly in bounce, drop out animation preset and each layer will fly in to it's original position in 20 frames, bounce to a stop for 10 frames and then 20 frames before the end of the layer it will start to scale in Y and fall off the screen completely exiting on the out point. No need for a template.

The other thing that you may not be understanding about building templates is that you can build your first animation using whatever footage you want, then you can pre-compose each animated layer, leaving each attribute in the original comp, then you just open up the pre-comps and drop in new footage. If the file is saved as a template then you can't save over it and foul it up unless you really try hard.