2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 26, 2015 3:53 PM by lukefuller1979

Media Pending on exported file

lukefuller1979

I used Dynamic Link to link a Premiere Pro project file to After Effects to fix a dead pixel issue. It's about 77 minutes of DSLR (1080p, 29.97 fps) footage, with a separate audio track. After fixing the dead pixels, I exported it lossless from After Effects and compressed it to H.264 in Adobe Media Encoder. The final product looked great, except for one thing: there are occasional "Media Pending" flashes for a split second on the exported file. They're ruining the product.

I have a new MacBook Pro (2.7 GHz Intel Core i5, 8 GB 1867 MHz DDR3, with Intel Iris Graphics 6100 1536 MB) and I'm using a 2TB G-Tech external drive for my source files and output, as well as cache storage.

One thing I noticed is that, when using Dynamic Link, the RAM on my OS gets eaten up during export and the startup disk fills up from swap file usage. It will get down to zero KB, then go back up to my normal remaining amount -about 20 GB- on its own. I've looked at the Activity Monitor while this is happening and it appears that PProheadless is the process that is causing this, and its parent process is Dynamic Link.

I've gathered by reading some of these forums that Dynamic Link can cause issues with media linkage, especially for such a long project. I'm thinking it may be best for me to simply export my file directly from Premiere in ProRes 4444, import that .mov file into After Effects, do the correction, export it lossless from there and then compress down to H.264 in Adobe Media Encoder.

Any recommendations, or does that seems like a good plan? Those "Media Pending" flashes on my export are driving me crazy and I'm at a loss for what else to do.

• 1. Re: Media Pending on exported file
          Dave LaRonde Level 6

Your plan sounds good....and ProRes 4444 IS lossless.  So you can use the same codec for the round-trip.

• 2. Re: Media Pending on exported file
            Todd_Kopriva Level 8

ProRes 4444 isn't actually lossless, but it's so close that most humans can't tell the difference with most material. So, it's a good choice for an intermediate format for most cases, but you still want to be wary of using it in cases where you have many stages of compression in your post-production pipeline.

• 3. Re: Media Pending on exported file
              lukefuller1979 Level 1

It's the only option I can think of at this point other than moving my entire project to a larger system at our university. I'm trying to avoid that; I prefer working at home. The reason I suspect it may the Adobe Dynamic Link is because the "Media Pending" screen seen flashing at points in the exported finished product has only happened to me when the Dynamic Link has been used, which so far has only been for this project. I also tried to use the link to import into and out of After Effects back into Premiere and export to ProRes from there...and I had the same "Media Pending" flashing issue on playback of that exported file. It's speculation, but I suspect that if the Dynamic Link process is straining my internal drive to the point of wiping out my startup disk as RAM compensation, then there might be moments where the media linkage "drops out" momentarily. I suppose I'll find out when I watch the initial export of my project from Premiere without Dynamic Link. Since I plan on exporting the effects-modified .mov file out of After Effects as lossless, I think the ProRes 4444 option will probably be fine, especially since this video is being compressed in Adobe Media Encoder down to H.264 in the end for YouTube.