4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 26, 2015 3:09 PM by Peter Spier

How to cutout shape to reveal image behind?

pdy818

Hi, All,

I'm going to die cut a portion of my brochure cover to reveal portions of an image on the next page. How can show that effect for my client when I present in preview form? I would like for them to get a visual.

So, how do it cut out those shapes in my file. I have the layer for the square shapes as a separate layer...and then the photo is the layer behind it.

Thank you,

Pam

• 1. Re: How to cutout shape to reveal image behind?
          Derek Cross Level 6

I think you'd have to mock it up for your presentation – print it on a desk-top printer and cut out the cut-out by hand using a scalpel. You'll need to produce a cutter guide for your printer/binder to forme cut the sheet if you then have to print it commercially. Discuss the job with your printer, he may subcontract that part of the finishing.

• 2. Re: How to cutout shape to reveal image behind?
            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

I think to demonstrate this on screen I'd make one more layer and make a compound shape with a Paper fill and the die-cut holes cut out of it and put it at the top of the stack. Toggle visibility to show closed and open.

Don't forget to delete it before output.

• 3. Re: How to cutout shape to reveal image behind?
              pdy818 Level 1

Thank you, Derek and Peter.

Peter, could I ask you to be so kind as to give me step-by-step instructions on how to achieve what you suggestion. Since I will be presenting online, your solution might work best. I want to make sure I understand your process.

Thank you,

Pam

• 4. Re: How to cutout shape to reveal image behind?
                Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Make a new layer and add rectangle to fill the page. Now copy the die-cut shapes you've already created, open the Layers Panel menu and make sure paste remembers layers is NOT checked, select the new layer with the rectangle and Paste in Place.

With the new shapes still selected, hold the Shift key and click the large rectangle you drew to fill the page to add it to the selection. Open the Pathfinder panel and choose the Exclude button in the Pathfinder row (2nd from the right, 2nd row). Fill the new compound shape with [Paper].