5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 27, 2015 10:40 AM by twitchbenjamin08

Super Convoluted Problem with Rendering (Horizontal Lines Occur In My Final Output)

twitchbenjamin08 Level 1

So my problem is sort of twofold. 

1.  I am creating a few kinetic typography graphics in AE CS6 for a client and when I render the Main Compositions, my output file is stretched.  I cannot figure out why this is happening.  My Comp settings are at 1920x1080 D1/DV NTSC Widescreen (1.21), 29.97 Drop Frame (although I've changed all of these settings around to try to solve this problem and, "no dice").  Keep in mind that I have other comps within the main comps that have completely different settings.  Some of them are sized at 4000x4000.

I render it out as a QuickTime, codec "Animation" 1920x1080 (although I've also changed these setting multiple times to try and fix the problem and, still "no dice")  The output video is still stretched.  When I format the output to be H.264, I get a caution that reads Settings mismatch.

I found a fix, however.  I drag the comp into media encoder and output it as QuickTime, ProRes 422 (or whatever, doesn't matter, still get the same problem), deinterlaced, 1920, 29.97, Field Order: Upper First, Aspect D1/DV NTSC Widescreen 16:9 (2.2121).  That fixes the stretching issue, however now I have these horizontal line that occur during all the times when there is motion.  I've adjusted all of the settings that I mentioned above multiple times and I cannot seem to figure out why this is doing this.

Can anyone help with this issue.  

• 1. Re: Super Convoluted Problem with Rendering (Horizontal Lines Occur In My Final Output)
          Dave LaRonde Level 6

Your comp settings are wrong.  They should be 1920x1080,Square Pixel -- NOT D1/DV NTSC Widescreen -- and 29.97 is okay.

There's no way you can have both 1920x1080 and D1/DV NTSC Widescreen, so I think you animated in SD when you really wanted HD.  There is a script in AE CS6 you can use to upscale the layers in the comp to fit the new H&V dimensions.

• 2. Re: Super Convoluted Problem with Rendering (Horizontal Lines Occur In My Final Output)
            twitchbenjamin08 Level 1

1920x1080 D1/DV NTSC Widescreen is the default setting that AE creates all my comps as.  So I was just using my default settings for this project.  See...Screen Shot 2015-08-26 at 6.11.40 PM.png  When I switched to square pixels, it stretched my comp and some of the words in the comp stretched off the frame.  It did help for rendering it out correctly though.  That's good to know for next time.

I ended up with a rather odd work around for this project though.  I changed the comp settings to 1920x1280 then precomped the entire composition and "re-scaled" the height to 120%.  This stretched the words vertically so that when I rendered it out, it looked "normal" to how I designed it.  That is by no means a very good way to do it all the time but it worked for what I needed it for.   

Thanks for your help!

• 3. Re: Super Convoluted Problem with Rendering (Horizontal Lines Occur In My Final Output)
              Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

See where it says Custom... That means you are not using a preset and 1920 X 1080 is never square pixels. Use the pull down, use the presets. If you have DV footage that you need to put in this comp then AE will automatically and correctly handle the footage and remove the distortion. The only thing that can screw that up is the lack of metadata in the file or widescreen interpreted as standard.

• 4. Re: Super Convoluted Problem with Rendering (Horizontal Lines Occur In My Final Output)
                twitchbenjamin08 Level 1

So What does it mean then when I change the pixel aspect ration to Square Pixels when the aspect ratio is set to 1920x1080.  Like in this pic?Screen Shot 2015-08-27 at 12.33.45 AM.png  Looks, to me like 1920x1080 CAN be at square pixels.  Is that just an error?  I don't get why 1920x1080 can't be square pixels if I clearly have that option?  Of coarse, this is just for argument sake, but if I can't have square pixels with 1920x1080, shouldn't my dimensions automatically change when I set it to square pixels?

• 5. Re: Super Convoluted Problem with Rendering (Horizontal Lines Occur In My Final Output)
                  Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Notice that your comp still says custom. That means you changed something. You should always use the presets.

The frame size does not change because AE is pixel based. In the Composition panel, if you turn on View Pixel Aspect Ratio Correction then you would see the shape of the comp window change. For example, when viewing a DV (non square pixels standard) in the Comp viewer perfect circles are oval until you turn on pixel aspect ration correction in the viewer. The number of pixels stay the same. Non Square pixels were devised as a way to get digital data over digital broadcast at a reduced data rate so that digital TV would work. For example a standard TV has a 4:3 picture ratio and 486 scan lines. with visible picture information. The DV standard was 720 X 480 pixels. They lopped off the top 2 and the bottom 4 scan lines because they were in the overscan area and not visible to most viewers so broadcasters filled those missing lines with black because it is easy to compress, then they made the pixel aspect ratio, which is the conversion of a digital bit of information to time so an analogue electron beam moving across the screen at a fixed rate would put 720 of them on a scan line keeping the picture undistorted and circles still circles. Make sense? Back then that's all the faster digital cameras and digital video could work. Now it doesn't matter and nothing is broadcast in the US in non square pixels. Only DVD's still rely on non square pixels to playback video. Same reason, that's as much information as you could successfully and reliably pull off a DVD at the time the standard was written.

There is absolutely no reason to ever work in non square pixels any more unless you absolutely know exactly what you are doing and why you are doing it. AE, and every other NLE will automatically adjust non square pixel footage to fit properly in a square pixel project without distortion.

Probably more than you wanted to know, but now you do. The only conceivable reason that anyone would ever render or set up a master comp with non square pixels would be that they have to send the render to a digital format that only accepts non square pixels. IOW, if you have a DV tape from an old DV camera and a way to digitize that digitally (which has not been manufactured for about 8 or 10 years) and you absolutely must create a digital master in the DV format so you can digitally transfer (not record) that master back to the DV tape so that you have a digital copy of the video on recorded on a format that only folks with very old equipment can playback using only that equipment then you would want to work with the DV (any 720 X format in the pulldown) project from start to Finnish. IMHO, all of these non square formats should be way at the bottom of the list and a note should be made that these are deprecated formats to be used with caution.

• 6. Re: Super Convoluted Problem with Rendering (Horizontal Lines Occur In My Final Output)
                    twitchbenjamin08 Level 1

Huh!  That's actually pretty interesting.  In that light, I would agree that all the non-square pixel options should be at the bottom of that list and not as my FREAKING DEFAULT SETTING! Haaaaa!  Thanks though!  I suppose this is probably a good reason why my text would distort when I rotated it 90%.  All makes sense now.  Thanks!