1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 26, 2015 9:33 PM by Mylenium

How Do I Connect A 2D Shape Layer to a 3D Animation?

Matt@KSBW

So here's my problem. I've got a 3D animation of a rounded rectangle with text on it that turns and explodes out the back. I've got to cover up part of the animation with a shape layer, in this case, a rectangle. The problem is, I know how to do this normally, if I had all of the layers for the animation I've got to apply the shape to, but sadly I don't, hence lies my problem. I need the assistance ASAP so that I can finish this project and turn it into my boss. I can't seem to find the right tutorial online so I could really use this community's support if anyone has the answer. I've tried parenting, but that doesn't seem to be doing the trick. I'd really rather not take more time to make individual key frames to change the objects rotation, etc, to fit the animation. I need a simple fix.

Thanks.

By the way I'm using After Effects CC 2014

• 1. Re: How Do I Connect A 2D Shape Layer to a 3D Animation?
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

It's kind of hard to visualize your animation because of the lack of detail but I'll give it a go. If your text layer is 3D then you can turn your shape layer to 3D, position it appropriately, and then use it as a track matte. If your exploding text box was created with shatter then you can also use the shape layer as a track matte. If the exploding text layer is not a 3D Layer or a 3D object that uses a plugin like Element or Zaxwerks then you can pre-compose that layer and use your shape layer as a track matte.

If you want the shape layer to be between the text and the exploding particles then you'll have to explain exactly how you are creating the effect and show us a screenshot.

• 2. Re: How Do I Connect A 2D Shape Layer to a 3D Animation?
            Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Without seeing it, nobody can tell you much. The answer is probably in the .toWorld() and .toComp() layer space transforms in combination with a dummy point effects control and a suitable expression.

Mylenium