10 Replies Latest reply on Dec 12, 2016 8:06 AM by chrisgelles

3D text extrusion is not rendering out in AE 2015.

henroveea95346498 Level 1

3D text extrusion is not rendering out with Adobe media encoder queue, but will with render queue which might take a hour day to render out an hour video in AE.

• 1. Re: 3D text extrusion is not rendering out in AE 2015.

I meant to say it takes a whole day to render an hour video..

• 2. Re: 3D text extrusion is not rendering out in AE 2015.
            Todd_Kopriva Level 8

A day is not a long time to render 60 minutes of 3D content. Many 3D scenes take several minutes per frame to render in any 3D application.

• 3. Re: 3D text extrusion is not rendering out in AE 2015.

my 3D txt is just 3 sec, so are you saying it's norm to render for 12 hours? However, i'm still trying to solve why the extrusion is not rendering out wit the 3D text..

• 4. Re: 3D text extrusion is not rendering out in AE 2015.
                rosmo_ Level 1

AME doesn't support CUDA acceleration, therefore even most simple raytrace 3d could take loong time to render.

That being said, AE 2015 is slow and buggy, so there is probably your problem.

• 5. Re: 3D text extrusion is not rendering out in AE 2015.

What that siad, i am starting to think twice about renewing my membership, whats the purpose of paying for a service not rendered.

• 6. Re: 3D text extrusion is not rendering out in AE 2015.
                    Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

There are other more useful solutions. If you have cuda acceleration and you absolutely cannot get the same effect using C4D lite included with AE, which is impossible because C4D lite is better at 3D by far than Ray-traced rendering ever could hope to be, then you can add your project to the Render Cue, render a production master using a Lossless (the default) format, then drop that render into the AME and render your MP4 for delivery.

BTW, Since Ray-traced rendering was introduced I have not used it for a single project for a single client because there were always better ways to do the same thing. I did some playing around and ran some personal tests but I found that it was just too slow for professional use. The problem with further development is that NVIDIA, the folks that developed the cuda engine, decided to go another way and changed so many things that Adobe wisely decided not to follow along with their development. Sadly, many users expected Adobe to continue development and improvements on a technology that is no longer being developed by an outside company. Ray-traced rendering is such a small part of After Effects that it's not hardly worth the time or trouble to worry about.

• 7. Re: 3D text extrusion is not rendering out in AE 2015.
                      rosmo_ Level 1

Are you implying that Adobe should remove entirely third dimension from AE? For me Raytrace was natural extension of Classic 3D, and it allowed to do some simple things extremely fast. I should say, that I well over decade of experience in 3D programs, mainly Lightwave 3D, but still I enjoyed using Raytrace 3D for quick and dirty things where full blown 3D graphics software is just overkill.

If Adobe is ditching whole Raytrace, at least they should mark it clearly as deprecated. Personally, I hope that Adobe would include more basic 3D functions in AE (more than classic 3d) and move away from CUDA to OpenCL.

If Adobe want that I would use C3D Lite for even basic 3D work, I rather use LW3D and sacrifice some practicality.

And BTW, Adobe screwed latest AE update, and now several people can only get sound out of AE with h264 QT, me included.

• 8. Re: 3D text extrusion is not rendering out in AE 2015.
                        Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

It's not adobe that screwed H.264 QuickTime, it was Apple. It was always horrible and is no longer supported or developed as a container. MP4 is a much better and more universal format.

On 3D, I'm not saying that RayTraced rendering was not a noble experiment, it's just no longer being worked on because of decisions made by NVIDIA, not by decisions in the Adobe camp. AE is redoing the entire background structure that AE uses to render and is improving the 3D integration. C4D lite and Cineware is a real good step in the right direction. AE plans further 3D integration. Zazwerks and Element are also good solutions if you need actual 3D models in AE that will interact with the camera. Even Blender has an AE export function that will put the Blender world and your rendered blender animations inside AE including the camera. There are lots of solutions that render faster and look better than Ray-traced 3D options ever would.

For the money and for the capabilities you can't beat AE. If you want to do less or have a specific workflow that will work for you using other software then use it. Personally, I've spent so much time with Blender that I create most of my OBJ files there, bring them into C4D to rig and animate or into C4D lite to just drop into AE. I'm also using different rendering solutions for my 3D apps. No one tool works perfectly with all situations. I even use Nuke fairly often because it does some things faster than I can do them in AE.

• 9. Re: 3D text extrusion is not rendering out in AE 2015.
                          rosmo_ Level 1

No, audio output only works when using QT, which is problematic.

See: Audio works in preview, but not when i render t... | Adobe Community

I know that Adobe is redoing AE's rendering pipeline, but at its current state AE feels more like alpha build rushed to meet some deadline. At work we started use 2014 again, because everyone has huge problems with 2015.

As I said, RayTraced rendering was just good for some quick and dirty work, I am not asking any miracles here. Now Raytraced it just a buggy feature, which fails without warning.

• 10. Re: 3D text extrusion is not rendering out in AE 2015.
                            chrisgelles Level 2

Just struggled with this over the weekend.

And, the solution seems to be:

Run you renders from the AE interface and allow active refresh to go while your renders cook (i.e., do not use caps-lock to freeze the screen refresh).

3D renders rely on your graphics card so, rendering to your screen is part of the deal.

It's slower, less able to fit into an automated or command-line rendering pipeline.

But, it'll get it done in a pinch.