2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 27, 2015 2:15 AM by JFPhoton

I am looking to buy a new laptop for my editing.

Wilbert Jamall Rawlinson

I am looking to buy a new laptop for my editing.  I am considering getting a Dell Inspiron 15 5000 Series with a Processor 5th Generation Intel® Core™ i5-5200U Processor (3M Cache, up to 2.70 GHz) Windows 10 64-bit Memory 8GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600MHz (4GBx2) Hard Drive  1TB 5400 rpm Hard Drive Video Card Intel® HD Graphics 15.6-inch HD (1366 x 768).  Is the Graphics Card acceptable for effects and premiere?  And will I have trouble with rendering?

• 1. Re: I am looking to buy a new laptop for my editing.
          RoninEdits Most Valuable Participant

there are lots of posts here with people having problems with the intel graphics and premiere. i would recommend finding a laptop with a nvidia graphics chip to avoid issues and get better performance. for the laptop specs you list, you might find a laptop with a nvidia gtx 940m or 950m at around $600-$700 usd. now if you go a step further and get a laptop with a 4 core i7, like the i7-4720, or i7-5700hq (and there are others), and a nvidia gtx 960m or 965m, it will perform 2x faster and will be around $1k usd. i don't know if you will find a dell or alienware with those specs or prices, but there are others like asus and msi that make laptops at those prices.

• 2. Re: I am looking to buy a new laptop for my editing.
            RjL190365 Level 4

You will have trouble with that particular laptop for Premiere. Here's why:

1) All mobile i5 CPUs have only two physical cores. And no PC of any type that's equipped with only a dual-core CPU performs as fast as a PC that's equipped with even a mediocre-performance quad-core CPU.

2) 8GB total RAM is inadequate for today's tough-to-handle video codecs such as AVCHD.

3) The screen resolution does not meet Adobe's minimum requirements. Adobe requires 1280 x 800 at a minimum - and the display must meet or exceed the minimums in both dimensions. Unfortunately, that screen has only a 768-pixel vertical resolution, which is below the 800-pixel minimum that Adobe requires. You will need an external monitor just to run the software properly, which completely defeats the purpose of a laptop.

4) That laptop has only a single disk for absolutely everything. You will need additional USB 3.0 external disks (all connected at once, at that) just to edit effectively with such a laptop.

5) Finally, that Intel HD Graphics cannot use MPE GPU acceleration at all because it reserves less than the 1GB of video RAM that's required just to enable it. Premiere will be permanently locked to the MPE software-only mode under this circumstance.

In other words, you will need to increase your budget if you want a laptop that can handle even typical HD (1080p) source material, let alone 4K source material.

• 3. Re: I am looking to buy a new laptop for my editing.
              JFPhoton Level 3

I own a one year old Asus G750JW gaming laptop that I bought refurbished for half price, and which arrived in like new condition. It performs great after I self upgraded the memory from 8GB to 24GB, ( could not reach hidden modules under keyboard, or, would have installed 32GB ), AND removed the single supplied crappy 5400RPM hard drive. I cloned the contents of the 5400 rpm HDD onto a Crucial SSD and then installed a second internal Crucial SSD for best performance.

Newer models just coming out now are FAR better than mine. Asus gaming models are solid ,well cooled laptops with  high performance components. Look for a new "Broadwell" 4 core, ( 8 threads), i7 CPU and an NVidia 970m or better mobile GPU with at least 4GB of video memory. If the machine does not have at least 24 GB of system RAM, MAKE SURE you can access the memory slots to increase the ram  yourself...preferably to 32GB.

Most important is the speed of your drives. Some newer model laptops are coming with PCI SSDs to provide tremendous speed compared to traditional SSDs and slow, mechanical HDDs.....look for one like that. Some have fast internal RAID 0 setups using M.2 SSDs...these are fast,but, can overheat. If you can find one of these type models, you can place all your media files, previews,project files, and all cache files onto the array for best performance, while using a single SSD for the "boot drive" that contains ONLY the OS, programs, and Windows page file.