18 Replies Latest reply on Oct 1, 2015 4:41 AM by matteofossati

"Assertion failed error" problem in Character Animator?

MrOllywood

Hi there, i've been playin' with this incredible new program and suddenly stop recording. Everytime I stop the recording a pop up window appear with the "assertion failed error" message and my new recording whereas voice or movements are erased. I've tried restarting the program, restarting AE, restarting just ChA, restarting the computer and nothing. Looks like a glitch, not a problem with de Card or machine-performance, but since is a preview version how can I reinstall the program? Please help. Best regards.

• 1. Re: "Assertion failed error" problem in Character Animator?
          CoSA_DaveS Adobe Employee

Which version are you using? Mac or Windows?

• 2. Re: "Assertion failed error" problem in Character Animator?
            benjamins1020169

Hello, I am having the same issue.  The record function was working well until today.  Now i get the Assertion failed error every time I stop a recording.  I am using a Mac. Thanks

• 3. Re: "Assertion failed error" problem in Character Animator?

Have you updated to the Preview 2 version? If so, try creating a new project (File > New Project...) to see if something in the current project has been corrupted. Clicking Start Here! in the Welcome project will also open a different project ("Getting Started").

• 4. Re: "Assertion failed error" problem in Character Animator?
                benjamins1020169 Level 1

I am running Preview 2 and that seemed to work.  All is good now. LOVE the program B.T.Dubs.

• 5. Re: "Assertion failed error" problem in Character Animator?
                  Go FIlm

Hey Dave,

Kudos to the Adobe Ch Team.

Preview 2 is such a tease, i am running Adobe Character Animator preview 2 (Windows 8.1, 64 bit, core i7) tried all the "Start here from welcome screen" "new puppet", "new scene", "new project" and even uninstalled re-installed the whole suit and all the updates

ASSERTION FAILED every time i click the record button... or very rarely if i try using record on some of the transform control i get  - "?:""= value corrupt" or something of that sort...

Painful...

Attached the Console log...

Adobe Ch Console Log... Error - Google Docs

Let me know what you think....

Sincere thanks,

GoFIlm

• 6. Re: "Assertion failed error" problem in Character Animator?
                    IllusionistaOnline

Is there an answer from Adobe related to this issue? I have gone through all the common solutions (reinstall, open a new project, use the provided templates, etc.) and there is no way to avoid the "assertion failed error" when recording.

• 7. Re: "Assertion failed error" problem in Character Animator?

We are still trying to figure out the root cause. In some cases, updating to Preview 2 has fixed the problem. By posting your operating system version, hardware and webcam type here, it could help us narrow it down. Another option is to message me directly with your AdobeID email address, and we'll add you to our prerelease problem. It's possible that we've already fixed this problem in the still-in-progress Preview 3 version.

• 8. Re: "Assertion failed error" problem in Character Animator?
                        MrOllywood Level 1

Hi CoSA and Adobe Staff friends. Thanks for your replies. It would be VERY helpful if we could download it without the need of touch/replace our After Effects software... in order to properly reinstall it if needed. Just the CharacterAnimation application. Mine is working now but since is a glitch without a clear detonator we might need it somewhere in thenear future. Best regards.

• 9. Re: "Assertion failed error" problem in Character Animator?
                          IllusionistaOnline Level 1

Dave

I highly appreciate your help.

I will continue to test but please add me to the prerelease list. My AdobeID user is:

imd1agr@gmail.com

Thanks

Alonso Ramos

El sept 13, 2015, a las 7:18 PM, CoSA_DaveS <forums_noreply@adobe.com> escribió:

"Assertion failed error" problem in Character Animator?

created by CoSA_DaveS in Character Animator - View the full discussion

We are still trying to figure out the root cause. In some cases, updating to Preview 2 has fixed the problem. By posting your operating system version, hardware and webcam type here, it could help us narrow it down. Another option is to message me directly with your AdobeID email address, and we'll add you to our prerelease problem. It's possible that we've already fixed this problem in the still-in-progress Preview 3 version.

If the reply above answers your question, please take a moment to mark this answer as correct by visiting: https://forums.adobe.com/message/7959165#7959165 and clicking ‘Correct’ below the answer

Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page:

Please note that the Adobe Forums do not accept email attachments. If you want to embed an image in your message please visit the thread in the forum and click the camera icon: https://forums.adobe.com/message/7959165#7959165

To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at , click "Following" at the top right, & "Stop Following"

Start a new discussion in Character Animator by email or at Adobe Community

For more information about maintaining your forum email notifications please go to https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1516624.

• 10. Re: "Assertion failed error" problem in Character Animator?
                            Jim Acquavella Adobe Employee

This is likely related to the software's interaction with your Audio Hardware. You may be able to resolve this by making changes to your Audio Hardware preferences. Make sure the correct input is selected, then try making changes to your Audio Sampling rate, or latency. 

If that doesn't resolve your issue, please try to record Audio in Adobe Audition. Any problems there?

• 11. Re: "Assertion failed error" problem in Character Animator?
                              ayematesound

Having the same issue,

Windows 10, Fast Track Ultra Sound Card, Preview 2

Doesnt record and returns a Assertion Failed Error on Stopping

Hope you find a solution, apps great!!

• 12. Re: "Assertion failed error" problem in Character Animator?
                                BitterBlue

Hi! Same thing here! I'm loving the software, and at this very moment it seemed like a godsend for the project I am working on... except for it not recording animation.   I'm using Preview2 on a Mac Pro 3.7GHz Quad Core Intel Xeon E5 with AMD FirePro D300 2048 MB on OS X 10.9.5. I would appreciate any tips on how to get over this hurdle ENORMOUSLY as my deadline is fast approaching and I'll need to animate everything old-style instead if this doesn't work.

I've not updated CH on my laptop yet... I just did a test and the 'Assertion Failed' problem doesn't seem to be happening in that version, so if it comes to that I can just use that version.

Thanks!

• 13. Re: "Assertion failed error" problem in Character Animator?
                                  Jeff Almasol Adobe Employee

Chris and Cristina... If you create a new project and import your artwork or use the New Puppet in Photoshop/Illustrator commands, does the problem exist then? If so, what do your Character preferences look like (Edit > Preferences on Windows or Character Animator > Preferences on Mac)? Screenshot can be helpful here. Thanks.

• 14. Re: "Assertion failed error" problem in Character Animator?
                                    BitterBlue Level 1

Hi Jeff! Thanks for the quick response! Much appreciated. Unfortunately your suggestion didn't work. I've tried new projects, saving my puppet with a different name and importing it to a new project, etc: nothing but the error message of doom! Here's the screen grab of my CH preferences. Hope it helps in getting this sorted. It works fine on P1, but obviously would be much nicer if I didn't have to switch computers every time I wanted to make changes.

Screen Shot 2015-09-24 at 01.30.53.png

I've got some other tech issues I'd love to discuss, but I suppose I better start a new thread for those

• 15. Re: "Assertion failed error" problem in Character Animator?
                                      Jeff Almasol Adobe Employee

Hi Cristina... The Default Input setting says "Premiere Pro 8.0 (Not working)". Are you able to select a different or more correct/working input, and does the problem go away? On Preview 1, is it set to something that does show it working? If you close other applications then launch Character, does it help? If the problem still exists, can you also include a screenshot showing available devices from Audio MIDI Setup? Thanks.

• 16. Re: "Assertion failed error" problem in Character Animator?
                                        BitterBlue Level 1

Hi Jeff... Yes, I had noticed this, but when I click on the roll down menu, that's the only option it displays and it is greyed out, so there's no way to get rid of it, I've even gone through the advanced options to try to uncheck anything relevant, but nothing can be modified .

I've been working on the P1 version so far, and this specific issue has not been a problem, but unfortunately, because I have this very pressing deadline, I'll just have to animate it in Flash. I find it easier for character animation than animating a puppet in After Effects. What I usually do is I then composite my Flash animation into After Effects or directly into Premiere... it's not ideal and I am really excited about Character, but other than the facial capture (and it just won't do Scottish accents, so the lip-synch is problematic) I kept on finding it too limiting... my main problem was not being able to fine tune motion or edit key frames.

But I do want to keep on trying it out... I can think of sooooo many good uses I could have for it. The main one would be using it for signing overlays for the hearing impaired. It would save a tremendous amount on production budget and would be very appealing for our younger audiences, but obviously I would need the capture to work reliably (which is not quite there yet) and it would be extremely awesome to be able to do a wee bit of trigger programming so that I could assign finger poses to the phonemes in the lip-sync.

• 17. Re: "Assertion failed error" problem in Character Animator?
                                          Jim Acquavella Adobe Employee

Please provide a screenshot of your Audio MIDI Setup.  Do you have a microphone connected to your computer?  If so, does it use the internal sound card, or some other device?  Do other applications on your machine allow you to record audio?  Does Audition?  If so, which input/device is being used?  Thanks.

• 18. Re: "Assertion failed error" problem in Character Animator?
                                            matteofossati

Hi everyone,

I have the same "Assertion Failed!" problem.

I have the last version of ChA.

I tried every thing.

The only solution is the microphone setting.

ChA needs a microphone, without it the application doesn't work.

I don't know if you have the same problem but it works for me.