3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 6, 2015 8:13 AM by johnrellis

My experience as a plugin developer for LR with the Adobe Exchange

johnrellis Most Valuable Participant

In another thread, TigrouMeow wrote:

Hello guys,

I uploaded a ZIP file at the end of 2014 of my plugin. It is called WP/LR Sync and keeps WordPress synchronized with Lightroom. It's a successful project. However, it is not integrated well in the Adobe Exchange.

If you click "Install" in the Adobe Exchange for my plugin, it will not work. It installs nothing and you can't find the file. Somehow, you can download it from the Adobe Exchange but for a few users it came out of a ZXP and they had not idea what to do with it. Some others could get a ZIP directly which was a bit more helpful (even though they had to google for a tutorial on how to install it).

Since February, I tried to make this right. I tried to upload my plugin so that it is installable automatically. Always failed. During this time, I continued the development of the plugin, improved it a lot. I still try to submit it to Adobe Exchange, talking with them at the same time. My experience is weird and not good that I felt the need to log it and share it. Especially to share it with the guys at Adobe themselves since I believe I speak with many unrelated technical guys in the back. There is barely a sign that things will get resolved.

You will find those discussions compiled here: http://apps.meow.fr/adobe-exchange-lightroom/. Please have a look.

I don't know what I can do. I wish to find a guy at Adobe willing to work on this and help, once and for all. Again, it's not only for me, it's of course for my users but also for the other developers.

Thanks for your help and ideas.

• 1. Re: My experience as a plugin developer for LR with the Adobe Exchange
          TigrouMeow Level 1

John, I think your thread has been removed :/

• 2. Re: My experience as a plugin developer for LR with the Adobe Exchange

It might be due to flakiness with the forum software -- if I recall, the message got posted twice, at a time when the forum software was often doing that.  And then sometimes one of the duplicates would disappear.

• 3. Re: My experience as a plugin developer for LR with the Adobe Exchange

Here's the conversation that was on that deleted thread (I have others' replies, but not my own):

TigrouMeow:

My last successful submission has been rejected, they send me a screenshot with an error happening on the first line of my Info.lua. Not sure why since I cannot see this ZIP anymore. I don't keep information about every single submission I made but maybe I should.

Anyway, I tested my plugin again, zipped it, and uploaded it using the Online Packager. Yesterday's message: "A virus was found". Not sure how I can have a virus in my lua files or my images but well. Reminds me a message they send me a few months ago telling me that they should update the definition of their anti-virus (yeah, I had this virus issue before).

Today, a different message : "Upload a valid ZXP file". So now this Online Packager requires a ZXP file? Is it not supposed to make one? Of course this is a bug on their side again.

Still trying hard to upload this since... February

TigrouMeow:

Resigned myself to use the Online Packager, it seems it became impossible to submit with it now. It might be a good sign though: they must be changing something?

Anyway, I really need to have my latest version up to replace the old one. So, I uploaded the simple zip file directly without going through the Online Packager. Let's see if they can approve this...

Jarnoh:

Adobe Exchange is a joke, I submitted a automatically installing preset package as a test how it works, and their backend always mutated the package to non working condition.  I don't know how it was finally accepted, but I sent them a MD5 of the ZIP file and told them that they shouldn't destroy it

Luckily, the sales were poor so I don't have to bother with it anymore.