11 Replies Latest reply on May 16, 2006 12:38 PM by Newsgroup_User

computer switches off while uploading

Level 7
      I have been making some changes to
      http://www.lerosdiving.com/diving_pics.htm and the template.
      When I went to upload the pages 3 minutes in, the computer made a humming
      noise for a moment and then switched off (WinXP Prof, DW8 no updates).
      I restarted, tried again, same thing. Restarted, left the computer running,
      ran virus checker (AntiVir) with no adverse results and uploaded images 3 at
      at time (ftp via DW). PVII IGM btw. No problem at all. Tried uploading
      thumbnails folder, computer switched off.
      I uploaded the whole of the site a bit at a time with no errors or problems
      this way.
      Nothing else seems to be causing the PC to switch off in this way. Does
      anybody have the remotest idea what might be causing this?
      [Two things: the PC does seem to have been running somewhat slowly over the
      last couple of days but obviously may have no bearing on the issue.
      Secondly, there was a power cut which trashed my usb drivers yesterday
      including hub (no mouse/keyboard, had to use adapter). I uninstalled and
      reinstalled them and all seemed fine ]
      Jo

• 1. Re: computer switches off while uploading
          Level 7
          When did you last clean the cobwebs and kitty fur out of your computer case?

"Josie1one" <joleros[nospam]@yahoo.com> wrote in message
          news:e458rd$gjj$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          >I have been making some changes to
          > http://www.lerosdiving.com/diving_pics.htm and the template.
          > When I went to upload the pages 3 minutes in, the computer made a humming
          > noise for a moment and then switched off (WinXP Prof, DW8 no updates).
          > I restarted, tried again, same thing. Restarted, left the computer
          > running, ran virus checker (AntiVir) with no adverse results and uploaded
          > images 3 at at time (ftp via DW). PVII IGM btw. No problem at all. Tried
          > uploading thumbnails folder, computer switched off.
          > I uploaded the whole of the site a bit at a time with no errors or
          > problems this way.
          > Nothing else seems to be causing the PC to switch off in this way. Does
          > anybody have the remotest idea what might be causing this?
          > [Two things: the PC does seem to have been running somewhat slowly over
          > the last couple of days but obviously may have no bearing on the issue.
          > Secondly, there was a power cut which trashed my usb drivers yesterday
          > including hub (no mouse/keyboard, had to use adapter). I uninstalled and
          > reinstalled them and all seemed fine ]
          > Jo
          >
          >

• 2. Re: computer switches off while uploading
            Level 7
            Funny you should say that, I *am* living in a high-density, fur-collecting
            environment at the moment, although I did clean it out around a month ago
            (dog - not cat (o; ).
            Are you suggesting that this could genuinely be a possibility? No other
            problems whatsoever?
            Jo

"Ken Binney" <kenbinney@ossiningdesignguild.com> wrote in message
            news:e45g8j$oqf$1@forums.macromedia.com...
            > When did you last clean the cobwebs and kitty fur out of your computer
            > case?
            >
            >
            > "Josie1one" <joleros[nospam]@yahoo.com> wrote in message
            > news:e458rd$gjj$1@forums.macromedia.com...
            >>I have been making some changes to
            >> http://www.lerosdiving.com/diving_pics.htm and the template.
            >> When I went to upload the pages 3 minutes in, the computer made a humming
            >> noise for a moment and then switched off (WinXP Prof, DW8 no updates).
            >> I restarted, tried again, same thing. Restarted, left the computer
            >> running, ran virus checker (AntiVir) with no adverse results and uploaded
            >> images 3 at at time (ftp via DW). PVII IGM btw. No problem at all. Tried
            >> uploading thumbnails folder, computer switched off.
            >> I uploaded the whole of the site a bit at a time with no errors or
            >> problems this way.
            >> Nothing else seems to be causing the PC to switch off in this way. Does
            >> anybody have the remotest idea what might be causing this?
            >> [Two things: the PC does seem to have been running somewhat slowly over
            >> the last couple of days but obviously may have no bearing on the issue.
            >> Secondly, there was a power cut which trashed my usb drivers yesterday
            >> including hub (no mouse/keyboard, had to use adapter). I uninstalled and
            >> reinstalled them and all seemed fine ]
            >> Jo
            >>
            >>
            >
            >

• 3. Re: computer switches off while uploading
              Level 7
              In article <e45gmt$paa$1@forums.macromedia.com>,
              "Josie1one" <joleros[nospam]@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Funny you should say that, I *am* living in a high-density, fur-collecting
              > environment at the moment, although I did clean it out around a month ago
              > (dog - not cat (o; ).
              > Are you suggesting that this could genuinely be a possibility? No other
              > problems whatsoever?
              > Jo

I'm guessing but it's possible Ken meant do system cleanup stuff that
              WIndows requires. Defrag is one and there's probably others --- haven't
              touched a PC in years so can't remember them OTOH, cleaning out the
              fur doesn't hurt either <LAUGH>
              • 4. Re: computer switches off while uploading
                Level 7
                Josie1one wrote:
                > I have been making some changes to

If you've narrowed it down to DW for sure, I not aware of a reason that DW itself would cause the shut down, but have a possible direction to look in case DW is triggering this issue when you FTP.

DW sucks up a lot of CPU power when it's doing FTP 50-100% CPU time which can draw a lot of power from your system. I had an older system that turns out had a problem with the connector on the motherboard to the power supply causing the system to only be able to draw so much power at one time. Whenever the system had a larger power draw, the system would shut off and then restart. Sometimes this happened when DW was doing FTP sometimes when my system was doing something that sapped a lot of CPU power such as starting up a lot of applications at one time. Anyway, just wanted to put forth a potential avenue to look at.

I ended up needing to get a new motherboard, but convinced my wife I needed a new system instead. :-D

HTH

--
                Danilo Celic
                | Extending Knowledge Daily : http://CommunityMX.com/
                | Adobe Community Expert
                • 5. Re: computer switches off while uploading
                  Level 7
                  Yes my dear,

I may be nothing but the beast !

news:e45gmt$paa$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                  > (dog - not cat (o; ).
                  > problems whatsoever?
                  > Jo
                  >
                  > "Ken Binney" <kenbinney@ossiningdesignguild.com> wrote in message
                  > news:e45g8j$oqf$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                  >> When did you last clean the cobwebs and kitty fur out of your computer
                  >> case?
                  >>
                  >>
                  >> "Josie1one" <joleros[nospam]@yahoo.com> wrote in message
                  >> news:e458rd$gjj$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                  >>>I have been making some changes to
                  >>> http://www.lerosdiving.com/diving_pics.htm and the template.
                  >>> When I went to upload the pages 3 minutes in, the computer made a
                  >>> humming noise for a moment and then switched off (WinXP Prof, DW8 no
                  >>> updates).
                  >>> I restarted, tried again, same thing. Restarted, left the computer
                  >>> running, ran virus checker (AntiVir) with no adverse results and
                  >>> uploaded images 3 at at time (ftp via DW). PVII IGM btw. No problem at
                  >>> all. Tried uploading thumbnails folder, computer switched off.
                  >>> I uploaded the whole of the site a bit at a time with no errors or
                  >>> problems this way.
                  >>> Nothing else seems to be causing the PC to switch off in this way. Does
                  >>> anybody have the remotest idea what might be causing this?
                  >>> [Two things: the PC does seem to have been running somewhat slowly over
                  >>> the last couple of days but obviously may have no bearing on the issue.
                  >>> Secondly, there was a power cut which trashed my usb drivers yesterday
                  >>> including hub (no mouse/keyboard, had to use adapter). I uninstalled and
                  >>> reinstalled them and all seemed fine ]
                  >>> Jo
                  >>>
                  >>>
                  >>
                  >>
                  >
                  >

• 6. Re: computer switches off while uploading
                    Level 7
                    It could very well be a possibility. If it's clogged with dust and fur it
                    can run hot and when things are about to overheat they shut down. It's
                    self-preservation. So check out the system itself, but you should open it up
                    and clean it out with air to make sure.

MD

Raizel wrote:
                    > In article <e45gmt$paa$1@forums.macromedia.com>,
                    > "Josie1one" <joleros[nospam]@yahoo.com> wrote:
                    >
                    >> Funny you should say that, I *am* living in a high-density,
                    >> fur-collecting environment at the moment, although I did clean it
                    >> out around a month ago (dog - not cat (o; ).
                    >> Are you suggesting that this could genuinely be a possibility? No
                    >> other problems whatsoever?
                    >> Jo
                    >
                    > I'm guessing but it's possible Ken meant do system cleanup stuff that
                    > WIndows requires. Defrag is one and there's probably others ---
                    > haven't touched a PC in years so can't remember them OTOH,
                    > cleaning out the fur doesn't hurt either <LAUGH>

• 7. Re: computer switches off while uploading
                      Level 7
                      i agree that it ~could~ being just an airflow problem. some operations in
                      dreamweaver will max the processor.

have had it happen on mac g4's that were on the floor. They draw air from
                      the front bottom-

we have a long hair constantly shedding cat. The air in holes were mostly
                      blocked with fur balls and dust bunnies after only a month in that setup.

and if they aren't blocked- a similar problem is if the internal heat sink
                      fan isn't working. had a customer's computer that would work fine for 95
                      percent of the time they used it but would blue screen of death if they
                      opened an access database. heat sink fan bearings went bad and it wasn't
                      cooling. Opening access and the database heated the processor up till it
                      thought that 2 + 2 = 3.1605 so the self protection routines started
                      screaming no no no no more.

and doing a virus scan, Adaware or Spybot scan etc for things using up CPU
                      cycles wouldn't hurt either.

or- it could just be a very very very rare instance of Windows being a bit
                      unstable

> (dog - not cat (o; ).
                      > problems whatsoever?
                      > Jo

• 8. Re: computer switches off while uploading
                        Level 7
                        Alan wrote:
                        > i agree that it ~could~ being just an airflow problem. some operations in
                        > dreamweaver will max the processor.
                        >
                        > have had it happen on mac g4's that were on the floor. They draw air from
                        > the front bottom-
                        >
                        > we have a long hair constantly shedding cat. The air in holes were mostly
                        > blocked with fur balls and dust bunnies after only a month in that setup.
                        >
                        > and if they aren't blocked- a similar problem is if the internal heat sink
                        > fan isn't working. had a customer's computer that would work fine for 95
                        > percent of the time they used it but would blue screen of death if they
                        > opened an access database. heat sink fan bearings went bad and it wasn't
                        > cooling. Opening access and the database heated the processor up till it
                        > thought that 2 + 2 = 3.1605 so the self protection routines started
                        > screaming no no no no more.

I had that problem, too (even after having the fan replace), and it
                        turned out installing a newer bios did the trick.

--
                        Bonnie in California
                        kroko at
                        sbcglobal dot net
                        http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/CTDSites.woa
                        • 9. Re: computer switches off while uploading
                          Level 7
                          Thank you all so much for your comprehensive replies - I really appreciate
                          it.
                          Tomorrow I am going to do everything you all suggested - starting with a
                          thorough spring-clean, dust-buster, defrag, the lot.
                          Back in the 70s when I started working with computers, we worked in a
                          completely dust-free environment, false ceilings and floors. Amazing - my
                          poor little computer!
                          Thanks again.
                          Jo

news:e458rd$gjj$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                          >I have been making some changes to
                          > I restarted, tried again, same thing. Restarted, left the computer
                          > running, ran virus checker (AntiVir) with no adverse results and uploaded
                          > images 3 at at time (ftp via DW). PVII IGM btw. No problem at all. Tried
                          > uploading thumbnails folder, computer switched off.
                          > I uploaded the whole of the site a bit at a time with no errors or
                          > problems this way.
                          > Nothing else seems to be causing the PC to switch off in this way. Does
                          > anybody have the remotest idea what might be causing this?
                          > [Two things: the PC does seem to have been running somewhat slowly over
                          > the last couple of days but obviously may have no bearing on the issue.
                          > Secondly, there was a power cut which trashed my usb drivers yesterday
                          > including hub (no mouse/keyboard, had to use adapter). I uninstalled and
                          > reinstalled them and all seemed fine ]
                          > Jo
                          >
                          >

• 10. Re: computer switches off while uploading
                            Level 7
                            Try using task manager and see how much processor usage you are making. Also
                            what processor are you running? Some of the AMD units are known for running
                            very hot when under load. If in doubt fit a new processor fan and see what
                            happens

cheers

Ian
                            news:e47qi2$foq$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                            > Thank you all so much for your comprehensive replies - I really appreciate
                            > it.
                            > Tomorrow I am going to do everything you all suggested - starting with a
                            > thorough spring-clean, dust-buster, defrag, the lot.
                            > Back in the 70s when I started working with computers, we worked in a
                            > completely dust-free environment, false ceilings and floors. Amazing - my
                            > poor little computer!
                            > Thanks again.
                            > Jo
                            >
                            > news:e458rd$gjj$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                            >>I have been making some changes to
                            >> http://www.lerosdiving.com/diving_pics.htm and the template.
                            >> When I went to upload the pages 3 minutes in, the computer made a humming
                            >> noise for a moment and then switched off (WinXP Prof, DW8 no updates).
                            >> I restarted, tried again, same thing. Restarted, left the computer
                            >> running, ran virus checker (AntiVir) with no adverse results and uploaded
                            >> images 3 at at time (ftp via DW). PVII IGM btw. No problem at all. Tried
                            >> uploading thumbnails folder, computer switched off.
                            >> I uploaded the whole of the site a bit at a time with no errors or
                            >> problems this way.
                            >> Nothing else seems to be causing the PC to switch off in this way. Does
                            >> anybody have the remotest idea what might be causing this?
                            >> [Two things: the PC does seem to have been running somewhat slowly over
                            >> the last couple of days but obviously may have no bearing on the issue.
                            >> Secondly, there was a power cut which trashed my usb drivers yesterday
                            >> including hub (no mouse/keyboard, had to use adapter). I uninstalled and
                            >> reinstalled them and all seemed fine ]
                            >> Jo
                            >>
                            >>
                            >
                            >

• 11. Re: computer switches off while uploading
                              Level 7
                              Thanks Ian, I do indeed have an AMD processor. It's sitting here without a
                              cover at the mo (PC) as I haven't had a chance to clean it out yet. Son
                              visiting from UK, friends arriving tomorrow - aargh! when oh when...
                              Jo

"Ian" <zen15006@zen.co.uk> wrote in message
                              news:e4d510$cff$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                              > Try using task manager and see how much processor usage you are making.
                              > Also what processor are you running? Some of the AMD units are known for
                              > running very hot when under load. If in doubt fit a new processor fan and
                              > see what happens
                              >
                              > cheers
                              >
                              > Ian
                              > news:e47qi2$foq$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                              >> Thank you all so much for your comprehensive replies - I really
                              >> appreciate it.
                              >> Tomorrow I am going to do everything you all suggested - starting with a
                              >> thorough spring-clean, dust-buster, defrag, the lot.
                              >> Back in the 70s when I started working with computers, we worked in a
                              >> completely dust-free environment, false ceilings and floors. Amazing - my
                              >> poor little computer!
                              >> Thanks again.
                              >> Jo
                              >>
                              >> "Josie1one" <joleros[nospam]@yahoo.com> wrote in message
                              >> news:e458rd$gjj$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                              >>>I have been making some changes to
                              >>> http://www.lerosdiving.com/diving_pics.htm and the template.
                              >>> When I went to upload the pages 3 minutes in, the computer made a
                              >>> humming noise for a moment and then switched off (WinXP Prof, DW8 no
                              >>> updates).
                              >>> I restarted, tried again, same thing. Restarted, left the computer
                              >>> running, ran virus checker (AntiVir) with no adverse results and
                              >>> uploaded images 3 at at time (ftp via DW). PVII IGM btw. No problem at
                              >>> all. Tried uploading thumbnails folder, computer switched off.
                              >>> I uploaded the whole of the site a bit at a time with no errors or
                              >>> problems this way.
                              >>> Nothing else seems to be causing the PC to switch off in this way. Does
                              >>> anybody have the remotest idea what might be causing this?
                              >>> [Two things: the PC does seem to have been running somewhat slowly over
                              >>> the last couple of days but obviously may have no bearing on the issue.
                              >>> Secondly, there was a power cut which trashed my usb drivers yesterday
                              >>> including hub (no mouse/keyboard, had to use adapter). I uninstalled and
                              >>> reinstalled them and all seemed fine ]
                              >>> Jo
                              >>>
                              >>>
                              >>
                              >>
                              >
                              >