2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 27, 2015 10:10 AM by robbiel65524057

InDesign CS6 on iMac 5k Retina... works fine!

robbiel65524057 Level 1

Just got my 27" iMac Retina 5k last night, and despite everything that I read about how InDesign CS6 is unusable on it, it seemed to work... great! Am I missing something? Everything I read reported that InDesign CS6 was not supported and was too fuzzy, etc. to be useful, the only workaround was to get a separate monitor, etc. I'm puzzled but cautiously optimistic that I won't have to look elsewhere for publishing software. Was there an update somewhere that fixed InDesign CS6's compatibility with Retina displays?

• 1. Re: InDesign CS6 on iMac 5k Retina... works fine!
          BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Everyone has their own level of what constitutes acceptable.

If you saw InDesign CC on that machine you might not think that CS6 looked so good.

That said, I’m glad to hear that you’re happy with it.

• 2. Re: InDesign CS6 on iMac 5k Retina... works fine!
            robbiel65524057 Level 1

Thanks Bob.

That's certainly true- beauty and the beholder's eye after all... but I had read that menus were unreadable- but mine look pretty much identical as they do on my 2008 iMac and also my 2011 iMac at work. I'll take a screen shot when I get home and post.

I should have asked for more objectivity as I try to reconcile the difference between what looks fine and the reports I read. In other words, can folks share what exactly is wrong with the appearance of InDesign CS6 on the Retina displays? I know my computer isn't magical- like I said, I'm just trying to reconcile the difference between what people were reporting and what I'm seeing.

Edit: I just googled "screenshot Indesign cs6 Retina" (hadn't occurred to me to try looking at screenshots before ) and found a site where folks posted screenshots of CC vs CS6.

http://www.schriftsetzer.net/hds/IDCC2014_5k-iMac_ganze-Seite_Retina.png 

http://www.schriftsetzer.net/hds/IDCS6_5k-iMac_100proz_Retina.png

And now I see the difference. CC certainly looks clearer, but the consensus that InDesign is unusable seem overstated, and comments that text is unreadable seems alarmist, at least to this user. Obviosuly, that's subjective! Still, I'm happy to have floated out my rosier opinion of CS6 on Retina to help balance out the opinion that CS6 Indesign is unusable.