6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 27, 2015 11:50 AM by J@HornPhoto

What is the advantage of CC over desktop version?

J@HornPhoto

Still in trial use of LRCC. I don't really see the advantage of CC over the desktop LR6.  It takes just as long to sync file in CC as it does to Dropbox for sharing purposes.  IF I am at a different computer I still have to download the app to access and edit. Can someone explain to me what I am missing?

• 1. Re: What is the advantage of CC over desktop version?
          dj_paige Level 9

Lightroom CC has these advantages over LR 6 (may not be a complete list)

• Free Photoshop CS
          • Lightroom Mobile is included
          • DeHaze slider
          • Black and White Sliders in Local Adjustments
          • Additional future new enhancements that have not yet been announced (and which won't appear in LR6)

By the way, it doesn't surprise me that the sync takes just as long in CC as it does to Dropbox, it's the same internet. However, in LR Mobile you can edit the files on your tablet or phone, and have the edits sync back to your computer, something that isn't available in DropBox.

• 2. Re: What is the advantage of CC over desktop version?
            99jon Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The other advantage is future proofing. Many users updating to Windows 10 or upgrading Mac OSX find that older applications stop working.

• 3. Re: What is the advantage of CC over desktop version?
              J@HornPhoto Level 1

Thanks.  I understand that there are some editing enhancements in LRcc over LR6.  For some reason I thought I was going to be able to access and work on all my files from any computer anywhere, but that doesn't really seem to be the case.  I can only access the ones I have specifically added to CC library. I currently use LR6 and Photoshop CS6.  I am happy with both but thought the mobile accessibility would be nice.  To be honest, I rather begrudge being forced into a monthly subscription for the rest of my creative life.  I suppose it is inevitable, however, as eventually it will be my only real option as they make the desktop version obsolete.

• 4. Re: What is the advantage of CC over desktop version?
                J@HornPhoto Level 1

That is a real bummer.  So basically our only option is to pay every month rather than just owning the software. Great business savvy on Adobe's part. Not so great for small businesses.

• 5. Re: What is the advantage of CC over desktop version?
                  99jon Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I would have thought entrepreneurs would fully understand the separate pricing for different product lines.

But LR6 and CS6 could last you for a good while even though Adobe has announced no future updates for CS6; unless you buy a new camera. But even then the camera raw incompatibility can be managed.

• 6. Re: What is the advantage of CC over desktop version?
                    dj_paige Level 9

as eventually it will be my only real option as they make the desktop version obsolete.

Neither your nor I know if that will happen next year, or 15 years from now. After the Creative Cloud was announced, the large mass of people who predicted that Lightroom 5 would be the last stand-alone version of Lightroom were completely wrong, and so I don't listen to anyone who predicts when the only version will be the Creative Cloud version.

So basically our only option is to pay every month rather than just owning the software.

Absolutely not! As of today, you have two options for Lightroom.

• 7. Re: What is the advantage of CC over desktop version?
                      J@HornPhoto Level 1

Um, let's keep this friendly, ok? I understand the pricing. I'm not a nitwit. $9.99 per month for Photoshop and LR is a great price.  However, prices are not static, as we all know.  $9.99 now is not $9.99 5 years from now.  I'm just weighing my options and trying to decide if now is the right time for me to commit to a new monthly expense or if I should hang tight a while longer with what I have.  As I said before, the selling point for me was actually the portability, being able to access all my files from any computer anywhere. But that does not seem to be the way it actually works, and that was my original question.  How do you all use it?  Beside the few extra bells and whistles, how has LR CC changed your world?