5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 28, 2015 12:16 PM by RoninEdits

should i add a pcie ssd or regular ssd?

coonasty Level 1

on one of my editing machines i want to get a little more performance out of it.  use adobe cc sub on it, mostly after effects and pp work.  core i7 4930, 32 gig, windows 8.1.  os/programs on samsung 840pro 256gig.  everything else, storage, cache, etc...  on areca 1882 raid 5 (4 wd enterprise 4 terabyte drives).   mostly work on bm4k footage both raw and 10bit. 

i have another 512gig 840pro that i could throw in it but was also looking at adding a pcie ssd for even more performance if i really can use it.

don't care about spending the money if i could see the performance upgrade of adding say the 500gig revo drive.  specs show 1800 and 1700 read/write on the thing. 

going to do one or the other of moving my working settings to either the 840pro or buy a new pcie ssd.  can i gets some ideas of the performance differences between the 2 and if someone has a better recommendation on definitely going with a pcie ssd...which one?  TIA

• 1. Re: should i add a pcie ssd or regular ssd?
          RoninEdits Most Valuable Participant

pcie ssd is nearly 4x faster than sata ssd. unless you are planning on moving the media on the pcie ssd, you probably dont need those speeds. if you do buy a pcie ssd, look at the intel 750. ocz has a long history of problems and their ssd's have some of the worst failure rates, any ocz product should be avoided.

• 2. Re: should i add a pcie ssd or regular ssd?
            coonasty Level 1

thank for the response.  so what would i do if i went the pcie ssd route?  put my media and cache on it while working on the project then move to raid when done?

• 3. Re: should i add a pcie ssd or regular ssd?

that would get the most out of the speeds, but if your current raid isn't slowing down your edits or exports, the faster pcie ssd drive wont help much. they do sell a 400gb and 1.2tb version of the intel 750, depending on how much space you need for active projects. if you want large space but not the price tag of the pcie ssd, you can also raid several sata ssd's to get good speed.

• 4. Re: should i add a pcie ssd or regular ssd?
                Bill Gehrke Most Valuable Participant

I would suggest that the best performance boost you could get would be to get rid of the RAID 5.  Riad 5 is not  good for high sequential read/write rates, it is designed for high I/O performance which is datebase oriented.

Also overclocking your CPU can increase performance significantly

• 5. Re: should i add a pcie ssd or regular ssd?
                  coonasty Level 1

thanks much guys.  yes pc is already over clocked and back when i did it noticed a nice performance increase.  i don't think i want to redo the raid 5 right now but just use it for storage.  but ill probably redo later in the year with that external areca box with 8 drives at raid 6.

so ill get the 1.2 terabyte pcie ssd and use the 512gig 840 pro on this system.  how best would i set that up?  move working project to pcie and set cache to 840 pro?

im in the lucky position where I've been told to start spending some money throughout the rest of the year to offset income.  

• 6. Re: should i add a pcie ssd or regular ssd?

placing the cache on the samsung 840 would leave more room on the pcie ssd for media and reduce wear and tear on the pcie ssd. for performance, placing the cache on the pcie ssd might do a little better.