15 Replies Latest reply on Oct 1, 2015 11:59 AM by A.T. Romano

Timelines Scrolls On Its own When Mouse Moves

maiak8599219

Hi -

I'm using Elements 12 with Windows 10 using dual monitors. Often, when I move the mouse to select effects or one of the media bins, the timeline starts to scroll on its own, following the mouse, an extremely annoying issue.

I am attaching a motion screen grab of the problem. As you'll see, when the mouse moves, the timeline follows it.  Any help would be appreciated!

• 1. Re: Timelines Scrolls On Its own When Mouse Moves
          A.T. Romano Level 7

maiak

Do you have installed the 12.1 Update of Premiere Elements 12 on Windows 10 64 bit?

Do you have mouse with a scroll wheel? Are you running on a laptop which offers choice of use of mouse or touchpad or touchscreen?

Did you have Premiere Elements 12/12.1 installed on Windows 7 or 8.1 64 bit before the upgrade to Windows 10?

If so, did you ever observe this scrolling behavior before the upgrade to Windows 10?

How is your dual monitor set up....extend across or duplicate?

Let us start here and then we can consider what next based on the details of your reply. The obvious paths include deleting the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs (Editor settings file), uninstall, cleaner, reinstall, and looking at the problem using a different mouse and its install. But, let us start with the above first.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: Timelines Scrolls On Its own When Mouse Moves
            maiak8599219 Level 1

Thanks - I've just upgraded to 12.1 in response to your post. If the problem persists, I'll post the rest of the answers for further info.

• 3. Re: Timelines Scrolls On Its own When Mouse Moves
              A.T. Romano Level 7

maiak

Thanks for exploring the suggestions.

We will be watching for your progress as your schedule permits.

Best wishes

ATR

• 4. Re: Timelines Scrolls On Its own When Mouse Moves
                maiak8599219 Level 1

I just worked with it for a few hours again today, and the problem seems solved! Will report back if it reappears, but I think I'm good to go. Thanks!

• 5. Re: Timelines Scrolls On Its own When Mouse Moves
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

maiak

Great news "problem seems solved". Great job on follow through with the troubleshooting.

Did you find one key to the solution or was it a combination of factors?

Best wishes moving forward with your projects.

ATR

• 6. Re: Timelines Scrolls On Its own When Mouse Moves
                    maiak8599219 Level 1

The only change I made was the obvious - I hadn't upgraded to the latest version of the program. Seems to have done it.  Thanks, again.

• 7. Re: Timelines Scrolls On Its own When Mouse Moves
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

maiak

Thanks for the follow up and the great information about the solution. Good information to have in the Premiere Elements troubleshooting toolbox.

Best wishes,

ATR

• 8. Re: Timelines Scrolls On Its own When Mouse Moves
                        maiak8599219 Level 1

Unfortunately, despite the update, the same problem has occurred. Apparently updating was only a temporary solution. The timeline is once again scrolling to follow the mouse. Any other suggestions would be very welcome!

To answer your earlier questions...

Do you have installed the 12.1 Update of Premiere Elements 12 on Windows 10 64 bit? Yes.

Do you have mouse with a scroll wheel? Yes.

Are you running on a laptop which offers choice of use of mouse or touchpad or touchscreen? I have a desktop. There is no touchpad or touchscreen.

Did you have Premiere Elements 12/12.1 installed on Windows 7 or 8.1 64 bit before the upgrade to Windows 10? Yes. I updated from Windows 7.

If so, did you ever observe this scrolling behavior before the upgrade to Windows 10? Yes.

How is your dual monitor set up....extend across or duplicate? Extend across.

• 9. Re: Timelines Scrolls On Its own When Mouse Moves
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

maiak

Thanks for the update. Sorry to learn that the Timeline scroll problem has returned. I did not see your latest post until just now (after midnight where I am). I will visit your thread in the morning morning after I do some exploration and experimenting with this issue using Premiere Elements 12/12.1 on my Windows 10 64 bit.

To be continued....

ATR

• 10. Re: Timelines Scrolls On Its own When Mouse Moves
                            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

For what it's worth, this issue has been addressed and resolved in version 14.

• 11. Re: Timelines Scrolls On Its own When Mouse Moves
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

maiak

Good morning.

Since your problem was temporarily resolved with the update of 12 to 12.1, I suspect it is highly unlikely that 14 is different from any prior version with regard to mouse scrolling. I have Premiere Elements 12/12.1 and 14 on Windows 7 64 bit and Windows 10 64 bit and do not have any mouse scrolling issues.

If 12/12.1 is meeting your video editing needs, except for the mouse scroll issue, then I would do

uninstall the usual Control Panel way

run through with free ccleaner (regular and registry cleaner parts)

reinstall with antivirus and firewalls disabled

....once 12 in installed and running OK in all respects, then download and install the 12.1 update from an opened project's Help Menu/Updates.

Also, do you have another mouse with scroll wheel to try in the setup?

Before the uninstall/ccleaner/reinstall, you could consider deleting the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file.

Local Disk C

Users

Owner

AppData

Roaming

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and in the 12.0 Folder is the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file that you delete. If that does not work, then you could delete the whole 12.0 Folder in which the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs exists. Be sure to be working with Folder Option Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives enabled so that you can see the complete path given.

If all of the above fails to resolve the issue and you decide you want to consider Premiere Elements 14 (current version), then please look at the tryout before purchase and give it a workout during the 30 day tryout.

We will be watching for further developments.

Thanks.

ATR

• 12. Re: Timelines Scrolls On Its own When Mouse Moves
                                maiak8599219 Level 1

Thank you again for your help with this. I'm not sure I'm ready to go through a complete reinstall yet, but if it persists I will try that out. I have tried another mouse, and that is not the issue.

Meantime, I *think* I've found the problem. When creating quick voiceovers, I'll use Audacity - which is more efficient than trying to capture audio only in Elements. The problem with the scrolling seems to occur if I leave Audacity running in the background.

I did not do so today, edited for about six hours, and didn't have the scrolling problem. That's my going theory - if that's the issue, working around it is pretty easy. If it resurfaces again under other conditions, I will try the reinstall.

Thanks for your help!

• 13. Re: Timelines Scrolls On Its own When Mouse Moves
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

maiak

Great news. Great observation. The follow up to that should be interesting and a major contribution to the Premiere Elements troubleshooting toolbox for us all.

Sound real good.

Best wishes

ATR

• 14. Re: Timelines Scrolls On Its own When Mouse Moves
                                    maiak8599219 Level 1

Thanks - A minor update - didn't use Audacity today, but I did use the Logitech Webcam Software to do video capturing and the same problem developed. Could be switching to any software dealing with video/audio. I'll see if that's consistent.

• 15. Re: Timelines Scrolls On Its own When Mouse Moves
                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

maiak

Thanks for the update.

Not sure if related observation or not....but if you had Premiere Elements Edit Monitor playback running, switching to another program stops the Edit Monitor playback. That is often mentioned and unwanted by the users.

Looking forward to your further observations.

Thanks.

ATR