16 Replies Latest reply on Oct 2, 2015 2:33 PM by mpalka

Scrolling directions inconsistent on OSX Yosemite (PrE 13)

mpalka

Hi,

It seems that scrolling directions are inconsistent depending on where I try to scroll left to right or up to bottom. When I have so called "natural scrolling" disabled in the OS settings it seems that it's ok for scrolling the timeline vertically but horizontally it handles it the natural way (means I drag the content in the direction of a move of a finger on the touchpad).

Subsequently when I enable the natural scrolling in the OS settings it scrolls naturally up and down but not left and right.  Horizontal scrolling is always the opposite of the system settings!

It drives me crazy because I always have to think on how to scroll. By intuition it always scroll the oposite direction I wanted it to scroll.

I am a new user. I only installed the software the day before yesterday. I cannot be 100% sure but I think it was right before the update that I was downloaded today in the morning.

cheers

Marcin

• 1. Re: Scrolling directions inconsistent on OSX Yosemite (PrE 13)
          A.T. Romano Level 7

marcin

I am strictly an Elements Windows user, but let us see if you can find some common ground between Windows and Mac to troubleshoot the situation that you describe.

Are you using a mouse with a scroll wheel, touch screen, or touch pad?

Please check out Item 0018 in the following to determine if any of that applies to your Timeline scrolling situation

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: Premiere Elements 13 Daily Discoveries

ATR

• 2. Re: Scrolling directions inconsistent on OSX Yosemite (PrE 13)
            mpalka Level 1

I use a touchpad (a built-in one). I will try to test it with my work Windows 7 laptop for comparison.

• 3. Re: Scrolling directions inconsistent on OSX Yosemite (PrE 13)
              mpalka Level 1

Tested it on Windows with version 13.0 and on this platform it does not seem to be possible to scroll sideways using touchpad. Or at least it's not possible to do it on my Lenovo T430.

• 4. Re: Scrolling directions inconsistent on OSX Yosemite (PrE 13)
                A.T. Romano Level 7

mpalka

Thanks for the replies.

Please try this on your Lenovo T430 and determine if this works for up/down and right left scrolling via touchpad and Premiere Elements 13/13.1.

I did this with Premiere Elements 13/13.1 on Windows 10 with Lenovo G580. I was in the Expert workspace of Premiere Elements 13/13.1.

For left to right or right to left scrolling, double click in the middle of the Premiere Elements horizontal scroll bar. Then use the touchpad gesture to move the Timeline from left to right or right to left.

For up to down or down to up scrolling, double click in the middle of the vertical scroll bar. Then use the touchpad gesture to move the Timeline from up to down or down to up.

Does that work for you?

ATR

• 5. Re: Scrolling directions inconsistent on OSX Yosemite (PrE 13)
                  mpalka Level 1

Hi,

On Windows it works correct in my opinion. I am on Windows 7 which I believe does not have so called "natural" or reverse scrolling option. Up and down it scrolls all right (with a two fingers gesture on a touchpad). Left and right it does not scroll at all with a gesture. To scroll left and right I need to move a scrollbar. I have no problem with that.

The problem in OSX is that when I scroll left and right with a two finger gesture it scrolls but in other direction that I intended it to scroll. I am not sure if you are familiar with the concept of so called natural scrolling. It is supposed to work like scrolling on a touchscreen device. When you move your finger up you drag the content with your finger. You move finger up and your content moves up. The same with left and right movement. You move finger right and content follows your finger's movement and moves right.

Traditional scrolling using touchpads was reversed. When you moved your finger down you were scrolling down through the content (and the content was moving up on the scren). The same with left and right. A finger moves right but content moves left and so on.

And that's broken on a Mac.When "natural" scrolling is enabled in the OS setting it makes up and down scrolling in PrE to follow that setting. But left and right scrolling is "traditional". If you disable "natural" scrolling in OS setting up and down scrolling turns to traditional but left and right becomes "natural". Scrolling modes are simply reveresed.

• 6. Re: Scrolling directions inconsistent on OSX Yosemite (PrE 13)
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

mpalka

Thanks for the details. As said, I am strictly an Elements Windows user and, until now, I have not run into the concept of Apple natural scrolling versus traditional scrolling.

I do not have access to a Mac computer so that I could explore this scrolling matter first hand. But, I will look deeper into this and report back.

If you suspect that your present scrolling situation is related to the update of 13 to 13.1, it might be worthwhile to uninstall reinstall Premiere Elements 13/13.1 Mac to get back to 13, and then determine if the scrolling behavior is the same or other in 13 Mac as you have found in 13.1.

To be continued....

ATR

• 7. Re: Scrolling directions inconsistent on OSX Yosemite (PrE 13)
                      mpalka Level 1

Thanks. I'll give it a try. Downloading the v13.0 now.

When it comes to natural or reverse scrolling (as Microsoft calls it) I think it's been supported on Windows since version 8. Unfortunately I do not have any Windows device equipped with version higher than 7.

• 8. Re: Scrolling directions inconsistent on OSX Yosemite (PrE 13)
                        mpalka Level 1

Ok, I have tested it with version 13 and I can confirm it's exactly the same (IMO broken) behavior as with 13.1.

With my preference of natural scrolling turned off in the system setting PrE's vertical scrolling is "traditional" as expected but horizontal scrolling is "natural".

• 9. Re: Scrolling directions inconsistent on OSX Yosemite (PrE 13)
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

mpalka

My homework for tonight....

Windows 10 64 bit  and Premiere Elements 13/13.1

touchpad scrolling... Lenovo G580

cursor sitting in Timeline area....if fingers move upward on the touchpad, I scroll to the upper tracks of Premiere Elements Timeline and if fingers move downward on the touchpad, I scroll to the bottom tracks of Premiere Elements Timeline....

cursor sitting in area to the right or left of the space in the Edit area monitor and move the fingers upward on the touchpad, the Timeline Indicator moves to the right...and move the fingers downward on the touchpad, the Timeline Indicator moves to the left.

iPod Touch 4th Generation

Upward with the fingers on the screen, scrolls down to bottom of web page

Downward with the fingers on the screen, scrolls up to the top of the web page

Now check out my homework....would you call the Lenovo touchpad scrolling "natural" and the iPod "traditional" in these tests?

I need to re-read your posts to get this all in perspective.

To be continued...

ATR

• 10. Re: Scrolling directions inconsistent on OSX Yosemite (PrE 13)
                            mpalka Level 1

On a touch device it's always "natural". The content on your touch device's screen follows your finger.  If there was a blank web page with a dot if you touch and move the dot it would follow your finger.

Place you ipod next to your computer and move fingers upwards on both your laptop's touchpad and your iPod's screen. If you didn't switch windows to "natural" reversed scrolling content on both devices will move in opposite directions.

I am most likely not able to describe it properly in English

When it comes to timeline scrolling (or maybe panning is a better word). Compare it with Photoshop Elements if you have it installed. Make a blank picture, zoom it in so it's bigger than your screen and then try to pan it around. On my mac vertical panning behaves the same in both PsE and PrE but horizontall panning is reveresed in PrE vs PsE. Maybe it's by design, maybe there's some reasoning behind that but it just feel counterintuitive to me. And it's reversed vs virtually any other app (PsE, IMovie, web browsers, you name it ).

• 11. Re: Scrolling directions inconsistent on OSX Yosemite (PrE 13)
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

mpalka

Thank you.

During the day I will do some more explorations.

ATR

• 12. Re: Scrolling directions inconsistent on OSX Yosemite (PrE 13)
                                mpalka Level 1

And a video to illustrate the above statements. That's with so called "natural scrolling" disabled in OSX settings.

• 13. Re: Scrolling directions inconsistent on OSX Yosemite (PrE 13)
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

mpalka

Thanks.

From what you wrote, the YouTube video that you just posted was done with Premiere Elements 13/13.1 Mac.

It is the right to left and left to right scrolling that is of particular interest....it looks like with right left finger movements on the touchpad you can get the Timeline to move left or right or right to left (not the Timeline Indicator).

At this time, Premiere Elements 13/13.1 Windows 10, I can get only movement of the Timeline Indicator, not the TImeline (at least not until I the Timeline Indicator reaches the end of the visible Timeline). And, when doing that I use up and down or down and up movement and not right to left or left to right  movement.

Out of curiosity, what is your setting for Edit Menu/Preferences/Timeline Playback Scrolling (no scroll, page scroll, or smooth scroll)?

More work in progress. Thanks for sharing your observations.

ATR

• 14. Re: Scrolling directions inconsistent on OSX Yosemite (PrE 13)
                                    mpalka Level 1

That's correct. Right to left and left to right movement is of interest here. Up to bottom and bottom up movement is all right. Only l->r and r->l is reversed.

When I move finger to the left the timeline moves to the left. It's expected to move to the right because my scrolling mode is "traditional" (not-natural as Apple would call it ). Instead an indicator (I guess you mean a scrollbar) should follow my finger movement (as it does when I move up or down).

My Preferences/Timeline Playback Scrolling option is set to Page Scroll.

• 15. Re: Scrolling directions inconsistent on OSX Yosemite (PrE 13)
                                      mpalka Level 1

Hi again.

The timeline scrolling direction inconsistency seem to be fixed in PrE 14 for Mac. I am testing on a Macbook Pro running OSX 10.11 El Capitan.

• 16. Re: Scrolling directions inconsistent on OSX Yosemite (PrE 13)
                                        A.T. Romano Level 7

mpalka

Great news. Great progress. Great job.

May I ask a favor...as your time permits, could you visit the following thread which focuses on Mac OSX 10.11 El Captian and share any information that you have gained on the compatibility of Premiere Elements 14 Mac with this new Mac operating system?

Mac 10.11 WARNING - You may want to hold off on updating

I will put on my to do list making the Premiere Elements 13 - 14 Windows comparison of the Timeline Scrolling of the type that we have discussed.

Best wishes

ATR

• 17. Re: Scrolling directions inconsistent on OSX Yosemite (PrE 13)
                                          mpalka Level 1

I will do some testing. So far I only loaded a project that I developed in PrE13. It opens and renders without any issues. I need to play a little more with the application to see if there are any issues.