1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 27, 2015 3:19 PM by mptc58

How can I print accurately to a Large Format printer?  InDesign or Acrobat

RichPTech

I have a file that is 22" x 7" (approximately).  In Acrobat I can't seem to get the file to print on the proper axis.  Doesn't help that there are 2 places to set the Portrait or Landscape options within the standard Windows 7 Print Dialog.

Within InDesign I managed to get it to print the proper axis (the InDesign printing dialog is way better than Windows but still amounts to trail and error printing, thus wasting paper).

When I set the paper size to D it doesn't want to cut the paper where I need the cut.  It wants to "print" the entire D (22x34 inches).

Anyone have any experience with this?  I am using an HP DesignJet Plotter.  To be honest the Windows 7 Print Dialog boxes don't appear to be any different than the Windows 95 print dialog boxes. LOL

• 1. Re: How can I print accurately to a Large Format printer?  InDesign or Acrobat
          mptc58

When I print to our DesignJet 800 or 510, in the In Design "Print" dialogue box I click on "Setup" (lower left in the print dialogue box).  In the "Print" dialogue box there I select "Preferences".  Within that box (mine defaults to the "Paper Quality" tab) I select "Custom" and set the dimensions there (and click "OK"). Then I select the "Effects" tab and select "Actual Size".  I usually make the paper dimensions a couple of inches larger than the finished size.  Then when back at the In Design "Print" dialogue box under "Marks and Bleeds" I select just the "crop marks" box.  When it is printed, I trim it to size using the crop marks.

Hope this helps.