11 Replies Latest reply on Aug 30, 2015 7:48 PM by mikeklar

Who has the modern-day Harm's Monster?

johnt53984649 Level 2

So, about a year ago, when I first started researching computer components to figure out how to build a decent editing machine, I heard a lot about Harm's Monster.  Whenever I look back on its specs now, I realize how much more is possible and how much has changed in the past few years... so, I have to ask, do any of you have a machine that's as crazy as that?  Anybody with RAID 30 SSD arrays?  Do you know of anybody who has ridiculous machines like that with more recent components?  Etcetera, I'm just curious.  I also wouldn't mind hearing your own editing rig specs and if you're happy with them.

• 2. Re: Who has the modern-day Harm's Monster?
          Bill Gehrke Most Valuable Participant

Well here is my very slim but the fastest single processor configuration tested with our PPBM (using the options below).

Lian Li PC-A97 case

i7-5960X at 4.5 GHz

ASUS X99E-WS

G-Skill Ripjaws 4 64 GB DDR4-2800

CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO with two faster fans

EVGA GTX 780 Ti (Well overclocked on the memory speed which you cannot do with the 900 series with CUDA applications)

(All solid state storage)

Samsung 840 Pro 256 GB OS/Applications

Samsung SM951 M.2 512 GB for project files.  (I have given up on separate media and media cache drives)

Then just for Benchmarking records I have optional:

1. Areca 1883ix with 7 each Samsung 840 Pro 256 GB in RAID 3 (With this array I can write during an export from Premiere at 2000 MB/second)
          2. EVGA GTX 970 and EVGA GTX 780 for a total of 3 GPU's

Externally on an eSATA port I have a Thermaltake BlacX 5G ST0019U that I can drop in old archive hard disk drives or newer ones for archiving.

I hope to never again buy a hard disk drive, of course I have quite a few Terabytes of them setting around.

• 3. Re: Who has the modern-day Harm's Monster?
            johnt53984649 Level 2

Not shabby!  May I ask, though, how do you have your RAID 3 array of SSDs connected to the motherboard; is it through SATA III?  Sorry, I'm quite unfamiliar with RAID, but I know that there are different possible connections for various setups.

• 4. Re: Who has the modern-day Harm's Monster?
              mikeklar Level 1

Bill

Having just acquired the i7-5930K, I'm about to pull the trigger on ordering the mother-board and would appreciate your input.

Seeing your choice of the ASUS X99E-WS, I'm curious how you compare it to the ASUS Rampage V Extreme?

The main reason for the Rampage V Extreme for me is that it will replace an old Rampage III Extreme and I'm familiar with it, as well the power supply wiring is almost the same layout.  However, I'm not a "gamer" as the primary purpose for this computer is for editing videos.

Also, I like the fact the X99E has additional PCIe expansion slots, as well two rear external eSATA I/O ports, which are useful for two of my external RAID backups.

Another consideration is for future upgrades and is seems the X99E may be more suitable for my purposes?

Looking forward to your input.

Cheers

• 5. Re: Who has the modern-day Harm's Monster?

wastingyourlifeaway wrote:

Not shabby!  May I ask, though, how do you have your RAID 3 array of SSDs connected to the motherboard; is it through SATA III?  Sorry, I'm quite unfamiliar with RAID, but I know that there are different possible connections for various setups.

No, you cannot get 2000 MB/sec through SATA interfaces.  It requires the Areca ARC-1883i card.  That card is a PCI 3.0 x8  card and requires an appropriate slot in your computer..

• 6. Re: Who has the modern-day Harm's Monster?
                  johnt53984649 Level 2

Okay, thank you for explaining; I understand so much more about RAID thanks to that.  So, I didnt think that this would be the case, but is just one 1Tb 850 Pro connected through SATA 3 a bottleneck for a 5960x Nvidia Gtx 970 64GB Ram?

• 7. Re: Who has the modern-day Harm's Monster?
                    mikeklar Level 1

Bill

Me Again

Guess my question regarding of the two mother-boards as to which would you recommend is not  a fair question...

Please let me rephrase; would you recommend the ASUS X99E-WS/3.1 for someone who wants to get at least five to six years out of it.  During which time there will be numerous changes and upgrades in components, drives etc. ?

One more question; any thoughts of what  my ARECA ARC 1880ix 12 (PCIe 2.0) could achieve in speed if there were 8 Smaung 500GB SSDs connected, when installed in the above mother board?

Cheers,

Mike

• 8. Re: Who has the modern-day Harm's Monster?

Yes I would.  I wish I had that USB 3.1 version.  I am an avid experimenter and it works well.for that purpose right now.  I wish there were a true M.2 PCIe x4 with two true slots but this is the best I could find. But that is where the extra PCIe lanes and sockets will be handy.   Five to six years in computers is probably not terribly realistic but it will be hard to tell.  By then hard disk drives will be totally obsolete.

My choice was made the end of last year and I am not completely up-to-date with anything in the meantime.

More later, wife just called

• 9. Re: Who has the modern-day Harm's Monster?
                        mikeklar Level 1

Thanks Bill

Yes, 5 to 6 years is somewhat of a dream.  However, the existing setup has served me well for just short of 5 years :-)

Here is an image from a couple of years ago, it's changed since then, but shows how un-elegant I get and what is not shown are all of the screws and metal clips holding various mods in place

The bottom line it's worked well and still impresses all of my Apple friends at how quickly it renders their modified video clips.

As you indicated, you being the avid experimenter you'll soon be lured at getting the latest PCIe 4.0 boards.  And I'll be reading your posts wanting to come on board

Cheers,

Mike

• 10. Re: Who has the modern-day Harm's Monster?

mikeklar wrote:

One more question; any thoughts of what  my ARECA ARC 1880ix 12 (PCIe 2.0) could achieve in speed if there were 8 Smaung 500GB SSDs connected, when installed in the above mother board?

Cheers,

Mike

Mike,

Nice system

You will not be happy with your results with the PCIe 2.0 RAID controller.  I do not have a ARC 1880 board to try but worst case you might only get half of my 2000 MB/s.  When I go the other way and install my ARC 1883 PCIe 3.0 card in my X58 based motherboard with only PCIe 2.0 support I get ~1350 MB/second.  So 8 drives would be overkill.

Here is my X99 beautiful layout 

PICT0247.JPG

• 11. Re: Who has the modern-day Harm's Monster?
                            mikeklar Level 1

Thanks again Bill

Really like your work area.

I thought my Areca would not do much better, right now it's running with eight 2TB HDs at around 900MBs, including a few SSDs  and this will be it until I get enough funding to add a couple of PCIe SSDs and one Samsung M.2 PCIe X4 SM951, the latter is next on the list.

So, right now I'm ordering the X99-E WS/USB3.1 with a set of G.Skill DDR4 2800 32GB, including the already acquired i7-5930K.  That's it for the moment, since residing in Canada with our lower dollar all my costs are 30% higher than what you pay

One additional consideration will be the video card, presently I have the NVIDA GTX 970 and it has connected to it one 4K monitor (NEC EA244UHD) and one old Eizo CG211.  It handles my existing workload, but  haven't worked on any 4K videos and am be curious how it'll perform with that load when it happens... .   

Cheers,

Mike