6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 29, 2015 8:25 PM by robi-one

is there a way to uncrop in library mode ?

robi-one

Hi !
      I have multiple images that have been edited, so that I can individually export them.

I also need to use edited pictures together, but need them to be in original size (not cropped !) when exported as layers in photoshop.
      So, in library mode, I would like to be able to reset the crop while keeping all other adjustment

At the moment, the only way I found to do this is to create a virtual copy of the image, the back to develop mode, then ctl+alt+R (windows version), that's a real pain, especially when you have loads of big pictures and big editing.

Unfortunately, this shortcut calls the refine function in the library, so it won't work. I can't imagine there's no easy way to do this, so I need some help from lightroom's gurus !

Thanks in advance for your help

• 1. Re: is there a way to uncrop in library mode ?
          JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I have read your message several times, trying to understand your workflow. But I'm a little confused. Whenever you send a cropped image to Photoshop, there is not a way to restore that crop after the image has been returned to Lightroom. That cropped information is lost. Additionally, all crop work has to be done in the develop module. There is no provision for cropping of any sort in the library module.

• 2. Re: is there a way to uncrop in library mode ?
            robi-one Level 1

Thanks for trying to help. I'm sorry if my explanations were not clear.

The point is that I want to revert the crop done with lightroom before exporting my edited photos as layers in Photoshop.

Let's take a practical example : I've shot a sport action in burst mode. Already edited (and cropped !) my pictures.We were many photographer at the event, who all took more or less the same shots. So I decided to make some collage of photos in burst mode.

And here's the deal. I need to work on pictures in their original size for a smooth composition, not zoomed in on the action. I know how to revert ton original image with shift CTL R but I don't want to lose my light and color adjustments. I just need to revert to original size ( cancel the crop) and doing this on multiple images in development module is a pain. I tried to reset the ratio aspect, or to create a preset with only transformation, but nothing works correctly.

NowI fear that such function does not exist, or at least is not documented.

Hopei made things more understandable.

• 3. Re: is there a way to uncrop in library mode ?
              dj_paige Level 9

It's not clear to me why you are cropping at all, in this workflow. If I could advise a better workflow, only do the cropping at the time when the photo is needed outside of Lightroom.

To answer the exact question you asked ... let me say I have never tried this ... but I believe you can undo the crop via Ctrl-Alt-R, and synchronize this edit to all selected photos via auto-sync (see Sync Settings and Auto Sync in the Lightroom Develop Module - Photo Tips @ Earthbound Light)

• 4. Re: is there a way to uncrop in library mode ?
                Bob Somrak Level 5

If you go to the CROP RATIO in Library/Quick Develop and select AS SHOT it will undo the crop.  It seems that this should only change the ratio but it resets the crop.  Might be a mess trying to restore the crop if you do anything else before doing an undo command.  Seems like virtual copies is the best way to go.

• 5. Re: is there a way to uncrop in library mode ?
                  DdeGannes Adobe Community Professional

I am not sure that this will work for you.

Select all the images with the crop in the develop module, select the sync button and switch to Auto Sync. At this stage any change you make will be applied to all the selected images. Next click on the crop button and then reset, that should remove the crop.

Next deselect the Auto Sync so it does not remain active.

Do some testing to see if this works for you.

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: is there a way to uncrop in library mode ?
                    robi-one Level 1

Thanks for answering ; I cropped because it was not my intention at first to do a composition from multiple images. I'm happy with all my "single" edited cropped pictures, but I just chose to do some extra work on the action sequences I have. And that was not the initial plan. Otherwise, knowing that there's no easy way to batch cancel crops I wouldn't have cropped at first, for sure.
                    Now I need the photos to be exported non-cropped to photoshop...

Anyway, the answer you give is the way I'm currently doing this (like I wrote in my initial post. I just did not precise I was using auto-sync for multiple images)

I believe from the different answers I got that this simple crop reset function is not implemented in lightroom library module, that's a shame the Ctl+alt+R shortcut just does not work the same in library mode as it does in develop module !

I'll write your answer as correct though since it sums up the least complicated way of doing this.

• 7. Re: is there a way to uncrop in library mode ?
                      robi-one Level 1

Thanks for your indication, that was one of the way I experimented, unfortunately it does not completely uncrop pictures on my computer. It actually revert the ratio aspect of the picture to the original one, but in fact the new ratio manages to be as close as the croped image. IE sometimes it's very close to the uncrop image, but not always.

• 8. Re: is there a way to uncrop in library mode ?
                        robi-one Level 1

Thank you, yes that's actually the best way to do this.