11 Replies Latest reply on Oct 2, 2015 3:45 PM by MH57

Is it possible to include a form in an ePub 3 ?

123456Javizan

Hello everyone,

For a book I'm doing I'd like to insert a form to calculate doses.

The document in HMTL and JavaScript is just done,  but I don’t know how to enter it into the InDesign page.

You can see it here:  http://axonveterinaria.net/vetoquinol/calculadora/calculadora.html

I get to see the form, but not entering data. The keyboard does not appear on the iPad . And it’s not possible to make it on iBooks.

I use InDeign cc 2015.1,  and it will be only for displaying on the iPad.

Could anybody tell me how it's made?

Thank you so much for the help.

• 1. Re: Is it possible to include a form in an ePub 3 ?
          MH57 Level 1

Same question here, but I also wonder if it can be done from inside InDesign...  (I'm not a JavaScript expert :-(

There is a Buttons and Forms window that seems to enable this, but I can't really find out how this works.

(e.g. how it relates to a send button and

how to put in the email address of the receiver and things like that)

• 2. Re: Is it possible to include a form in an ePub 3 ?
            BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Forms are for PDFs. While you can do it with HTML, that would have to be done outside of InDesign.

• 3. Re: Is it possible to include a form in an ePub 3 ?
              MH57 Level 1

Seems to me that's something for a really useful new feature in the next ID release.

I mean, it does make sense to include a nice email form in some types of (fxl) epub's, does it?

(Even more then in some PDF's)

• 4. Re: Is it possible to include a form in an ePub 3 ?
                Yves Apel Level 2

I don't think, integrating HTML forms in InDesign will help you. Most html forms use technologies such as php and databases and need an online connection as well as server side running applications. ePubs and most ereaders do not support those services such as apache servers, mysql, cdns, analytic services, ssh/ftp/... connections, mail servers. In fact they even try to block such services and outgoing information to avoid running malware in the background or to avoid expensive user tracking by the publisher. Its simply a security feature of the ePub format.

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Is it possible to include a form in an ePub 3 ?
                  Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You can make a feature request here:

Wishform - Adobe InDesign

• 6. Re: Is it possible to include a form in an ePub 3 ?
                    MH57 Level 1

Thank Apel,

I'm working on an ebook with weblinks, so it has interactivity anyway. That's just what would make it so nice, to include a page with a feedback form or something at the end where readers can send their comments. Going online first and open a form their just isn't the same. Of course I understand safety stuff, but still ....

• 7. Re: Is it possible to include a form in an ePub 3 ?
                      MH57 Level 1

Used the form and filed my request.

Along with another option I miss: adding a text field that can be edited (and saved!) by the reader, same as in many instruction books with user exercises. They often have dedicated space to answer questions.

• 8. Re: Is it possible to include a form in an ePub 3 ?
                        Yves Apel Level 2

You are mixing too many technologies here and you expect that they all work seamlessly together. A form and a weblink are two completely different things (an epub with a link can't be called interactive). Thats also nothing I have invented or decided so. Its the restriction of the epub technology and I can't change it. You can add weblinks and they should work since they are foreseen by the epub standard. You can also add forms with javascript to do calculations or show if/when based solutions like yours right within the epub. But the underlying engine/technology to save, send or analyse the results of the form outside of the ebook is not yet compatible with epub. This technology needs server side services such as php, sendmail, .... With exception that this technology is included or supported by the reader. The EDUPUB standard should change this, but its still far away from being widely distributed.

If you have epubs of instruction books with these possibilities, as you describe, please share them with us. I am personally very interested to analyse how this has been solved so its working offline, within the ePub and with the possibility to share/send the results. But remember, we are talking here about epubs and not digital magazines or webapps.

• 9. Re: Is it possible to include a form in an ePub 3 ?
                          MH57 Level 1

Sorry Apel, wish I would have examples of this, but I have not found them. it is just something that came up with books we are producing and where it really would fot to do such things. The ePub idea makes it seem logical that these kind of interactive stuff can be done in eBooks easier then with PDF files, but I am learning ;-(

• 10. Re: Is it possible to include a form in an ePub 3 ?
                            Pickory Level 3

Hello MH57,

I hand coded some fields in an ePub, iBooks didn't recognise them, although it did recognise checkboxes, radio buttons and sliding controls. I don't think you are gong to get this sort of functionality in ePubs. You can do this with web apps though.

P.

• 11. Re: Is it possible to include a form in an ePub 3 ?
                              MH57 Level 1

Thanks everybody for your replies!

Although still the feature seems to me quit logical, it now is clear to me we seem to be pushing the envelop.

Maybe it will be included in new standard some day.