8 Replies Latest reply on Aug 31, 2015 5:27 AM by wolverana

Can someone please help with DW crashes?

wolverana

I have a client that has DW CS6 and I am on DW CC 2015.  I have just completed a small site for him basically to replicate his original site, but making it responsive.  Our problem is that while I do crash periodically, maybe 2 or 3 times a day (causes me to constantly save as it locks up and won't let me save many times as well as crashing), my client is unable to do any edits at all to the pages I completed for him.

I have gone through the code and can find nothing that seems like it would cause that, but if anyone out there could please take a look we would appreciate it.  We have only 1 thing that we "think" may be causing it, but without knowing what code it is, the software company won't help much.  I used a program by CoffeeCup called Responsive Layout Maker Pro to create the main structure as well as many of the components and elements of the site.  The only reason we think this might be the culprit is because he can load up and do anything to any other pages that were not created in that program without any hitches.  He says he never crashes (he's on PC and I am on Mac if that helps any), yet as soon as he does any change to the pages that I created for him and hits the refresh button, it crashes on him 100% of the time.

We are at a loss and not getting any response from the other software company as of yet.  Anyone that has a moment to go over the pages would be totally appreciated.  The site is at:

http://specktaker.com  it is just a small little personal site for the client to look up fishing stuff so it's not any major thing, but he needs to edit it many times as he changes the links and weather information on it often.

Thanks in advance for any assistance on this.

• 1. Re: Can someone please help with DW crashes?
          BenPleysier Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The problem is usually caused by errors in the markup. Have a look at this Showing results for http://specktaker.com/salt.html - Nu Html Checker which shows that there are unclosed elements in the salt.html document.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Can someone please help with DW crashes?
            wolverana Level 1

That's not the issue, I had already corrected those issues that show up on the validators (other than the tables which he wants to use the old things he had on his old site even though not responsive).  The tables were on his old site and he had no problems with them before so I'll assume those are not causing the issue as well.

Do you think it's because he's on CS6 PC version and I'm on CC2015 Mac version?  (PC and Mac not really making a difference I don't think, but I've had a few people tall me that the CS6 version isn't very responsive compatible.  Do you think that's it or is it something else in the code.

Just so you know, the issues with the stray Div tags, the duplicate Footer and Main tags are taken care of already and were prior to posting here, but I didn't realize he didn't upload those updated pages yet is all.  He has tried editing those updated pages though and still crashes as soon as he hits the refresh for the Preview.  I'm guessing turning off the preview may prevent the crashes somewhat, but have to wait for him to return home from a short trip to test this as well.  Of course even if that works, it's not a fix, and it's a deal breaker for him as he wants me to do another site, but if he cannot edit it, he will not do so.

I created the site with a 3rd party software and really have no idea if anything in the code there could or would create this issue.  I've used it for many sites and it has worked very well for them, but ... this is the first site that the client is insisting on doing the editing themselves, so I don't know if there were any issues prior to this or not.  So what I did was send the client a freshly created template mockup that DW created for me for a New > Responsive > can't recall which template it was.  I'm going to have him try editing that and see if it still crashes.  I can at least rule out whether or not it's CoffeeCup's software code causing the issue or not that way I would think, and whether or not it is a Responsive issue with CS6 as well.

Any other ideas while I wait on this?

• 3. Re: Can someone please help with DW crashes?

Which page is the problem page?

• 4. Re: Can someone please help with DW crashes?
                wolverana Level 1

It would be the Salt Water and Fresh Water pages that he will do editing on, but I imagine the home page will give him issues as well, I'll have to check that when he gets home.

• 5. Re: Can someone please help with DW crashes?

I have only checked the Salt Water page and it shows that the element that was opened in line 35 has no closing tag.

<div class="row-fluid">

That would be enough for DW to go into a frenzy.

• 6. Re: Can someone please help with DW crashes?
                    wolverana Level 1

It might be easier if I give the temp address for the corrected pages since the client isn't home yet to get them uploaded lol.  Here's the corrected pages that had already been sent to him and that he tried already and still crashed him:

http://eiwd.work/specktaker-test

If you check those pages through the validators, you'll see that those errors have already been corrected, but unfortunately they didn't fix the issue for the client crashes.

• 7. Re: Can someone please help with DW crashes?

There are still validation errors.

I have loaded the file into my CS6 and it all behaves well. The only thing I can suggest is that Bootstrap may be causing the problem. To find out remark (<!--    --> all the links to css and js out and see if that has any effect.

If CS6 does now not crash try adding the links back in, one by one, to see which one causes the problem.

It may also be an idea to have CDN hosted files like

http://netdna.bootstrapcdn.com/twitter-bootstrap/2.3.1/css/bootstrap-responsive.min.css

1 person found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: Can someone please help with DW crashes?
                        wolverana Level 1

My Client has returned home, and has since uploaded the correct files.

The good news is that he is able to edit the DW created template that I sent him to test without any problems at all.  The bad news is that we still don't know what part of the uploaded site is causing his issues.

So far as we can see, all of the errors are coming from the Bootstrap CSS which is currently Bootstrap 2.  The program I use has this built into it, but unfortunately it's falling behind as the versions have increased for Bootstrap since then, we're hoping soon for an upgrade, but I won't hold my breath that we'll get version 4 when it's ready.

Anyways, if someone could please check this page and see if there's anything else I'm missing?  Most of it is Bootstrap stuff, some of it is Unknown Vendor stuff, that's all I can find in there that would be messing anything up.

@Ben:  I will see if I can get him to try that today and see if it makes a difference, but I'm pretty sure it's in the Bootstrap since the pages I sent him have no CSS errors in my custom file.  Also the only other problem with having hosted CDN or CSS or any other files is that other servers go down, or decide to stop supporting that particular version of file you're using and then your site stops working, so I'd rather not if I don't have to.  I will have him try that though just to see if we can find out if it's the Bootstrap generated by the program or just Bootstrap 2 in general which gives us a little more to go on as well.  Thanks much for your suggestion.