4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 28, 2015 1:53 PM by Scarlett362

Does Lightroom bring folder names with import from Photos?

Scarlett362

I asked a question yesterday and it was answered (thank you, answer was very useful) but I don't know how to find the question again.  Here is my new question.  I've exported all my pictures from PHOTOS into a desktop folder as suggested.  Should I spend time trying to organize these picture back into the album setup I was using? Or does Lightroom even take that information?  I don't want to spend hours reorganizing on my desktop just to have to redo the same thing in Lightroom.  Maybe its easier to Import as a lump of pictures and just create collection sets & collections from this 'lump'.  Any advice?

I have actually searched for about an hour and cannot find an answer to this anywhere on the web.

• 1. Re: Does Lightroom bring folder names with import from Photos?
          99jon Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I would suggest moving the folder from the desktop into Pictures. Or another permanent location. Then import from that folder using "Add"

You can then select batches of thumbnails for  for your albums. Simply click the plus symbol on the Collections tab. Choose a name and check the box to include selected photos. 

Just remember LR doesn't physically hold the photos, it simply makes links in the catalog so you always need to store them on your computer or an external hard drive.

• 2. Re: Does Lightroom bring folder names with import from Photos?
            Scarlett362 Level 1

Oh boy, now I am confused (and a bit worried)  I’ve moved all my pictures into a desktop folder called Pictures but are you wanting me to put a copy of that folder also under the Pictures directory?  When you say LR doesn’t hold the photos then when I start adding new photos from my camera where will they go?  I am using the standalone version of Lightroom not the Cloud version so I assumed they would go into an Adobe directory somehow.

• 3. Re: Does Lightroom bring folder names with import from Photos?
              99jon Adobe Community Professional & MVP

It's a personal choice. You can leave them on the desktop if you prefer and import from there.

I always keep the desktop clear as I launch all apps from the doc. So my preference would be to copy to Pictures and then delete from the desktop.

When you import from a camera or storage card you use "Copy" and can specify a folder or let Lightroom create dated sub-folders for each day. Again it's a personal choice.

• 4. Re: Does Lightroom bring folder names with import from Photos?
                Scarlett362 Level 1

All information was useful.  Everything has now been imported and just working on Collections now.  Thanks for your help on this.

• 5. Re: Does Lightroom bring folder names with import from Photos?
                  ManiacJoe Adobe Community Professional

With LR, your pictures are not "in" LR or the catalog. Your pictures are on your hard drive(s) and referenced by LR using the path and file names.

If you are going to do any organizing of the files by folders, it is easier to do that before importing the image into the LR catalog.

Moving the folder off the desktop and into your "pictures" folder is suggested because the desktop is never a permanent location where people leave things and because it is easier to move the image before doing the import.

When you do an import, you can have your files handled one of two ways:

(1) "add" - leave the files where they are, just add the entries to the catalog. Used when you have already put the images into folders where you want them.

(2) "copy" - LR copies the images from their current location (normally a memory card) and puts them on your hard drive in folders normally organized by date but you can suggest another organization.

• 6. Re: Does Lightroom bring folder names with import from Photos?
                    Scarlett362 Level 1

Thanks everyone for your help