1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 28, 2015 12:34 PM by Per Berntsen

Create a virtual copy before doing edits?

jimjonesWRS

I'm looking for a "best practice" recommendation, if anyone has one...

I used to use Aperture for cataloging/editing my photos, and they have a feature that automatically duplicates an image when you make any changes to it via Aperture. I liked this feature, because even though the edits are non-destructive, I like having a "pristine" copy of the image. I know that LR edits are also non-destructive, but I can't figure out how to revert all the changes I've made to a given photo (sure, I can do it immediately by doing an "undo", but if I go back several days later and change my mind, I can't...).

With that as background - is it advisable for me to always create a Virtual Copy of an image before doing Lightroom edits? Or, is there some way to revert back to the original image that I'm not aware of, which would make this a moot point?

Thanks very much.

• 1. Re: Create a virtual copy before doing edits?
          johnrellis Most Valuable Participant

Duplicate of The specified item was not found. -- please reply there.

• 2. Re: Create a virtual copy before doing edits?
            99jon Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Use the History panel. You can go back to any editing step. You can also save snapshots at any point.

Your Library may get a bit cluttered if you create VC's for every edit. I use VC's for example to make an image with a different crop aspect ratio to the original where I need to keep both copies for exporting to different projects.

• 3. Re: Create a virtual copy before doing edits?
              ManiacJoe Adobe Community Professional

From the Develop module, look at your History panel on the left. As you click on each entry, the main display will update to what that state was. If you make an edit while in the middle of the history list, all the newer (top) entries will be discarded and your new edits will take over.

You can create virtual copies if you want, but it is not necessary.

You can also create virtual copies from any point in the edit history including the beginning, at any time.

The "reset" button will discard all of the edit history for the current image.

You can also just click on the "imported" entry at the bottom of the edit history and start editing again from there.

• 4. Re: Create a virtual copy before doing edits?
                Per Berntsen Adobe Community Professional
                but if I go back several days later and change my mind, I can't...

Your previous editing steps will still be in the History panel, so you can go back and change anything anytime.

There is no need to work on a virtual copy unless you want to compare two different inrterpretations of the raw file.