9 Replies Latest reply on Aug 30, 2015 7:34 AM by A.T. Romano

How do I make a movie using Premier Elements combining photos and videos?

loric74073427

I have tried using Instant Movie, because I see no other way, but I can't figure it out.  There are a lot of videos and photos, so it is big.  Is that the problem.  If so, is there another way of doing this?

• 1. Re: How do I make a movie using Premier Elements combining photos and videos?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

loric

Glad that you have posted in the Adobe Premiere Elements Forum this time instead of the Adobe Photoshop Elements Forum.

Can I take my photos and videos and turn them into one movie in Elements 13?

I think that your solutions reside here.

How big is big in the way of videos and photos and what computer operating system is your Premiere Elements 13/13.1 running? What level of computer resources are involved - processor, clock speed, installed and available RAM, and free hard drive space?

More later. I am running into some Adobe web problems.

ATR

• 2. Re: How do I make a movie using Premier Elements combining photos and videos?
            A.T. Romano Level 7

loric

Rather than run the risk of losing what I wrote in post 1, I am continuing 1 in 2.

Please let us know especially how many photos and what pixel dimensions for them. Also video formats, duration.

Elements Organizer 13/13.1 has a different slideshow format than earlier versions to get you a bells and whistles type 720p or 1080p theme oriented file as slideshow (AVCHD.mp4 type).

From what you describe, I would suggest that you look to the Premiere Elements 13/13.1 Editor for the creation of the Timeline content as your slideshow and then output of that Timeline content from there. How do you intend for your viewers to view the slide?

DVD-VIDEO standard or widescreen on DVD disc

AVCHD on DVD disc

Blu-ray disc format on Blu-ray disc

or

Other?

Please let us start with the above considerations and then decide what next based on the details in your reply.

Thank you.

ATR

• 3. Re: How do I make a movie using Premier Elements combining photos and videos?
              loric74073427 Level 1

The movie is big.  799 photos and 30 short videos (my trip to Africa). When I put it in MS Movie Maker it was 54 minutes, but it moved all my captions around and I had trouble editing. That is why I switched to Elements. I have an HP 64 bit desktop. 5.75 GB usable memory, 2.80 GHz, Windows 7, service pack 1, 515 GB free on hard drive. Photos are jpg and videos are AVCHD.  Would want to make DVD or preferably USB so I can ship them to friends that went with me.  In the end, don't are if it is movie or slide show if it just works and others can view them.

• 4. Re: How do I make a movie using Premier Elements combining photos and videos?
                A.T. Romano Level 7

loric

Thanks for the important information for your intended Premiere Elements slideshow.

What are the pixel dimensions of these 799 photos? It is one pixel dimensions for all or a various of pixel dimensions for the 799?

Here I am looking for the width in pixels x height in pixels for the photos.....1920 x 1080 or higher or lower? If higher, photo resize or crop/resize may be necessary for the workflow to succeed.

You say that you have AVCHD video. What is that 1920 x 1080 @ 29.97 progressive frames per second or something else? If not sure, please let us know the brand/model/settings for the camera that recorded the video. From that we can figure out most of the properties of the video involved in the project.

What I am planning on giving you are plans for exporting the Timeline content to a file saved to the computer hard drive (can be transferred to USB Flash Drive if necessary) or burn to DVD-VIDEO widescreen on DVD disc or both).

Thanks for the follow ups.

ATR

• 5. Re: How do I make a movie using Premier Elements combining photos and videos?
                  loric74073427 Level 1

It is a Sony ILCE-6000.  The videos would all be the same, but some of the photos I have touched up in Photoshop.  Not sure if that chances pixels.  I have little knowledge in that area.

• 6. Re: How do I make a movie using Premier Elements combining photos and videos?
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

loric

Thanks for the details.

From what I can put together your videos appear to be AVCHD characterized by 1920 x 1080p60 and your photos would follow as 1920 x 1080 (1920 width in pixels x 1080 height in pixels).

Let us do this for starter and then, if the test run is successful, go for the final project.

1. Create your Premiere Elements project so that it has a NTSC AVCHD AVCHD 1080p60 project preset. Let us try to let the project set that project preset automatically....so import the video into the project's Expert workspace with Add Media/Files and Folders/Project Assets. The project should set the project preset automatically once you have drag the video as the first file dragged to the Timeline Video Track 1/Audio Track 1). Then go to Edit Menu/Project Settings/General and determine what you have in the Editing Mode field. If you see "AVCHD 1080p square pixels and not HD 1080i then you are OK. Continue. If not, stop and let me know what you found in those preferences for Timebase as well as Editing Mode.

2. Now add you photos to the Timeline. Add 799 photos which have the 1920 x 1080 pixel dimensions.

3. Try for the Publish+Share/Disc/DVD disc with preset = NTSC_Widescreen_Dolby DVD.

4. If you have enough computer resources, you would be expected to be successful. It is the number of those photos that I believe will define the situation.

Miscellaneous note...if the photos were edited to include a CMYK color profile, they should not import into Premiere Elements project.

Please consider and let me know if I have represented your information correctly. If not, I will adjust the above comment to reflect your corrections.

Thanks.

ATR

• 7. Re: How do I make a movie using Premier Elements combining photos and videos?
                      loric74073427 Level 1

It worked. except for some reason, the photos that were wrong orientation (best way to describe is portrait versus landscape) are sideways, even though I had fixed the orientation before brining them in.  Any way I can correct this?  Other than that, everything is working.

• 8. Re: How do I make a movie using Premier Elements combining photos and videos?
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

loric

Where do you first see the photos in the wrong orientation - right after they were imported into the Timeline or only afterward in the export?

If in the Timeline..

Right click a photo, select Rotate 90 Right or Rotate 90 Left. Then right click that photo, and select Copy. Then select all the other photos that you want to be oriented the same way, right click anywhere in the selection, and, in the pop up, click on Paste Effects and Adjustments.

(when you do this you will be pasting all the effects and adjustments for the first photo, not just the rotation effect)

If there was a consideration for orientation before import into Premiere Elements and you made an adjustment before import, you may want to go back to re-consider how you did that. When you import media into Premiere Elements, all you get are copies of the originals at their hard drive save location. And, those copies need to trace back to the originals where they were when first imported into the project.

Please consider and then let us know if any of the above worked for you. Then we can decide what next if necessary.

Thanks.

ATR

• 10. Re: How do I make a movie using Premier Elements combining photos and videos?
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

loric

Thanks for the update and the great news that you are OK with your Premiere Elements workflow. Great job of follow through.

Best wishes

ATR