1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 28, 2015 9:32 PM by A.T. Romano

What to do when Premiere won't open the project file (.prel).

nicke66943580

I have edited mp4 files and created a Premiere project file. Now Premiere won't open the project file (.prel). Says that the type of file is not supported or the required codec may not be installed. Any ideas on what to do? The .prel project files were opening 2 weeks ago.

I try to open the project file and it opens another dialogue box asking me where a random mp4 file is. Then it gives me the error message.

Help please.

• 1. Re: What to do when Premiere won't open the project file (.prel).
          A.T. Romano Level 7

nicke

What version of Premiere Elements and on what computer operating system?

1. You cannot import one project file (.prel) into another project file (.prel), so be sure you are not doing that.

2. If you open a previously saved closed project file and are greeted by "Where is the file ______?" message, then

a. You moved, deleted, or renamed files and folders that were imported into the project after the project was saved closed.

b. You have your source media stored on an external hard drive and the external hard drive has malfunctioned and possibly changed drive letters.

There is an Adobe document on troubleshooting damaged projects. You may want to read it to see if there is anything in it which applies to you and can be of help. https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-elements/kb/troubleshoot-damaged-projects-premiere-elemen ts.html

Based on your description...

a. make sure that you can find the specific files that the messages are asking for and do the media-project reconnect using those messages.

b. make sure that you are not trying to import a project file into another....if that is not the case, then give the properties of the file that you are trying to import and getting the non support or missing codec message.

I will revisit your thread in the morning morning to view your follow up details so that we can decide troubleshooting strategy.

Thank you.

ATR