Import Add is the way to import photos without moving them.
The large Synchronize Delete/Add numbers seem to indicate most of your photos have moved since you imported them. This could have happened with Import / Move being used or moving them outside of LR in Explorer/Finder. It could also happen if the photos are on an external drive and the drive letter changed.
You need to determine why things are showing as moved.
Do any of your folders have a question mark on them? If so, can you find where those folders exist, now?
The other thing to understand is that you can right-click on a top-level folder and say Show Parent and then that folder and all its peers will show as being under their parent and the parent folder will then be the top-level folder.
I think I may see the problem, but not the solution:
Users/blair/Pictures is where everything is stored. The folder I am trying to import is in Users/Blair/Pictures. I think this issue (and the "missing" photos) is being caused because Lightroom case-sensitive when looking for folders. How can I tell it where to look? Thanks
Edit: I recently switched to a newer computer, thus the discrepancy in the capitalization of my name.
After a lot of frustration and research, it seems as if my probem was that my user folder on my old Macbook was 'blair' (lowercase b) and my new Macbook uses a more formal 'Blair' with an uppercase B. I learned that Lightroom is case sensitive, while my MacOS is not. Therefore when Lightroom asks MacOS to give it data for a picture, it shows up despite the case discrepancy. However, when it looks to see if photos are missing, they all show up missing because Lightroom doesn't under stand that 'blair' and 'Blair' are the same person. Somehow my catalog remembered the old directory structure (lowercase) and got confused when trying to import new photos into the new structure.
I seemed to have solved my problem as follows:
- Exited Lightroom. Created a new folder in /Users/Blair called 'Bananas'.
- Moved entire contents of '/Users/Blair/Pictures' to '/Users/Blair/Bananas'.
- Started up Lightroom. All photos and folders were shown as missing. Right clicked on 'Users/blair/Pictures' and said 'Update Folder Location...' and pointed it to '/Users/Blair/Bananas'. All photos and relevant edits / metadata were found.
- Exited Lightroom. Moved everything from /Users/Blair/Bananas to /Users/Blair/Pictures
- Started Lightroom, photos and folders were missing again, 'Update Folder Location...' again and pointed it to '/Users/Blair/Pictures'.
That wasn't how I wanted to spent half my Saturday, but it works now.