4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 29, 2015 1:47 PM by blairf60278824

Why can't I control my subfolders? (And How many files am I missing?)

blairf60278824

I am trying everything under the sun to import my latest set of photos into a subfolder in my collection. Import -> Copy, Import -> Move, and Import -> Add all seem to place the photos into a new folder in the root directory of my catalog, although the photos do end up in the correct place in my hard drive's file system. When I try to move them within Lightroom, it says they are already there.

If I go and try to synchronize my folders, I get into trouble as all of my edits and metadata get erased, because it seems to think all my photos are new. Lightroom seems to have a schizophrenic response to this:

Screen Shot 2015-08-29 at 11.39.17 AM.png

Okay, so it wants to remove about 18000 photos and add 20000, all while deleting my metadata and edits. Great. From reading another thread, it seems that this is not the way to go, and I can just tell Lightroom to find my missing photos:

Screen Shot 2015-08-29 at 11.40.59 AM.png

So which is it, Lightroom?

How do I get my folders to sync up, but not lose all my work?

• 1. Re: Why can't I control my subfolders? (And How many files am I missing?)
          ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Import Add is the way to import photos without moving them.

The large Synchronize Delete/Add numbers seem to indicate most of your photos have moved since you imported them.  This could have happened with Import / Move being used or moving them outside of LR in Explorer/Finder.  It could also happen if the photos are on an external drive and the drive letter changed.

You need to determine why things are showing as moved. 

Do any of your folders have a question mark on them?  If so, can you find where those folders exist, now?

The other thing to understand is that you can right-click on a top-level folder and say Show Parent and then that folder and all its peers will show as being under their parent and the parent folder will then be the top-level folder.

• 2. Re: Why can't I control my subfolders? (And How many files am I missing?)
            blairf60278824 Level 1

I think I may see the problem, but not the solution:

Screen Shot 2015-08-29 at 12.00.32 PM.png

Users/blair/Pictures is where everything is stored. The folder I am trying to import is in Users/Blair/Pictures. I think this issue (and the "missing" photos) is being caused because Lightroom case-sensitive when looking for folders. How can I tell it where to look? Thanks

Edit: I recently switched to a newer computer, thus the discrepancy in the capitalization of my name.

• 3. Re: Why can't I control my subfolders? (And How many files am I missing?)
              blairf60278824 Level 1

If I click "Show Parent" on my main folder, I get this:

Screen Shot 2015-08-29 at 12.03.21 PM.png

Edit: If I try to update the location of "Users/Blair/Pictures" I get this same error

• 4. Re: Why can't I control my subfolders? (And How many files am I missing?)
                blairf60278824 Level 1

After a lot of frustration and research, it seems as if my probem was that my user folder on my old Macbook was 'blair' (lowercase b) and my new Macbook uses a more formal 'Blair' with an uppercase B. I learned that Lightroom is case sensitive, while my MacOS is not. Therefore when Lightroom asks MacOS to give it data for a picture, it shows up despite the case discrepancy. However, when it looks to see if photos are missing, they all show up missing because Lightroom doesn't under stand that 'blair' and 'Blair' are the same person. Somehow my catalog remembered the old directory structure (lowercase) and got confused when trying to import new photos into the new structure.

I seemed to have solved my problem as follows:

• Exited Lightroom. Created a new folder in /Users/Blair called 'Bananas'.
                • Moved entire contents of '/Users/Blair/Pictures' to '/Users/Blair/Bananas'.
                • Started up Lightroom. All photos and folders were shown as missing. Right clicked on 'Users/blair/Pictures' and said 'Update Folder Location...' and pointed it to '/Users/Blair/Bananas'. All photos and relevant edits / metadata were found.
                • Exited Lightroom. Moved everything from /Users/Blair/Bananas to /Users/Blair/Pictures
                • Started Lightroom, photos and folders were missing again, 'Update Folder Location...' again and pointed it to '/Users/Blair/Pictures'.

That wasn't how I wanted to spent half my Saturday, but it works now.