14 Replies Latest reply on Nov 12, 2016 1:08 PM by Geoff the kiwi

Can I download a Lightroom 6 Trial?

JRP_Photo

First - I have searched on the net and found no conclusive answer.  Please just don't tell me do do that (I'd rather you just moved on and did not post)!

I'm trying to download a trail of Lightroom 6 to see if it offers any improvement for me prior to upgrading.  After an hour of looking for a download link on Adobe's website and general searching the web, I can not find a way to do this. 

I can find the link for PURCHASING, but no link to try the software for 30 days.  I can also find the link for Lightroom CC 30-day trial, but I am looking for Lightroom 6 (different product).

I don't want to start a discussion on the merits or otherwise of the CC subscription versus standalone purchase.  I know they are different products and advertised as such and have no issue with that.  The fact they are different products is the reason I do not want to trial Lightroom CC (which I will not be purchasing) - I want to trial the product I will likely go on to purchase

So simple question: can I actually download "LIGHTROOM 6" as a trial, or is the only way to download "LIGHTROOM 6" to purchase it first?

Thanks

• 1. Re: Can I download a Lightroom 6 Trial?
          dj_paige Level 9

There is no Lightroom 6 trial. There is only a free trial of Lightroom CC, which can be converted to Lightroom 6 by purchasing and applying the Lightroom 6 serial number.

• 2. Re: Can I download a Lightroom 6 Trial?
            JRP_Photo Level 1

Thanks - that's a shame but I guessed as much.  I guess Adobe is just trying to push CC.

• 3. Re: Can I download a Lightroom 6 Trial?
              dj_paige Level 9

Whether they are or aren't, what is the problem? If you want LR 6, you download the LR CC trial, and you don't have to use the parts of LR CC that you don't want to use. Just turn off Lightroom Mobile if you don't want it. You'll never see it again.

• 4. Re: Can I download a Lightroom 6 Trial?
                Geoff the kiwi Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What Paige is meaning is that there is only one Trial version and that is the current CC release. It has all features so it makes sense to have it as the trial.

If you purchase a serial number and enter that a few recent features will be disabled. This has always been the case - perpetual licenses have never had features added after the first dot release, nothing has changed.

• 5. Re: Can I download a Lightroom 6 Trial?
                  JRP_Photo Level 1

I just wanted to know if I could download "Lightroom 6" as a trial or not.  I got the answer (I can't), so that's fine.

With regards to your question - I don't have a problem.  The reason why I want to trial Lightroom 6 (versus Lightroom CC) is because I have an an interest in purchasing Lightroom 6, but no interest in purchasing Lightroom CC.  I would like to trial the product I intend to purchase and it really is as simple as that.

A couple of analogies to help you understand my reasoning:

• If I was able to purchase Lightroom 4, then trialing Lightroom 4 would be the best way to allow me to make an informed decision.  Sure I could trial Lightroom 5 but then I would have to work out what the differences were between the two and work out what I would be getting (or not getting) when I went ahead and purchased Lightroom 4.
                  • If I was thinking of purchasing Photoshop Elements, I would want to try Elements and not full-blown Photoshop to make a decision.  Again Photoshop would help me understand some of Elements features, but I may not realize I could not use curves in Elements for example.

You have to remember now that Lightroom CC and Lightroom 6 are different products.  I certainly understand that, given a Lightroom 6 trial is not available, the way I need to go about this is to trial Lightroom CC, work out differences between the two and then make a decision based on whether the differences are significant.  However, it would be simpler for me just to trial Lightroom 6 hence my original question.

Anyway, thanks for answering my question.

• 6. Re: Can I download a Lightroom 6 Trial?
                    dj_paige Level 9

The reason why I want to trial Lightroom 6 (versus Lightroom CC) is because I have an an interest in purchasing Lightroom 6, but no interest in purchasing Lightroom CC.  I would like to trial the product I intend to purchase and it really is as simple as that.

These two software products are 99% identical, there are only a few features that are different (and I believe the underlying code is identical). The differences is that Lightroom 6 doesn't have Lightroom Mobile, it doesn't have the dehaze slider and the black and white sliders for brushes, and LR 6 won't get new features that are added to LR CC in the future. So if you like the LR CC trial (except for those mentioned features), then you will like LR 6. It really is as simple as that.

• 7. Re: Can I download a Lightroom 6 Trial?
                      JRP_Photo Level 1

Thanks.  As previously mentioned, I understand how I need to go about it given a Lightroom 6 trial isn't available.  Working out the differences between the two products and any underlining incremental improvements is certainly the main thing; you cite a few examples of differences (which I wasn't aware of) so that helps.

• 8. Re: Can I download a Lightroom 6 Trial?
                        dj_paige Level 9

you cite a few examples of differences (which I wasn't aware of) so that helps.

I cited all of the differences, as of today.

• 9. Re: Can I download a Lightroom 6 Trial?
                          JRP_Photo Level 1

as of today.

Exactly - these are the differences you are aware of today!  Keeping track of the differences involves reading forums, blogs, etc and even then there may be further minor differences if I use it tomorrow versus today.  In quickly searching for differences I'm also reading about some differences between the web gallery functionality in CC versus 6 so that may be another example.

It really would have made it easier for me to have simply trialed LR6.  I'm actually having a hard job working out differences between LR5 and LRCC from my brief trial to date - I haven't found any improvement so far which will benefit me, but then if I do (e.g. let's say I like the dehaze slider you mention) I also need to work out whether such improvements will still be available in LR6, which makes an evaluation more difficult.  However, this is a moot point - Adobe have chosen to promote CC and do not offer a LR6 trial so I'll have to work around that.

• 10. Re: Can I download a Lightroom 6 Trial?
                            dj_paige Level 9

Exactly - these are the differences you are aware of today!  Keeping track of the differences involves reading forums, blogs, etc and even then there may be further minor differences if I use it tomorrow versus today.  In quickly searching for differences I'm also reading about some differences between the web gallery functionality in CC versus 6 so that may be another example.

I disagree completely. The differences will not somehow be discovered by someone who is trying something in the future, and reports it in a forum or blog, because there are no other differences.

When the next update of Lightroom comes out, if there are new features, it will clearly be mentioned in the announcement that the new features are for Lightroom CC.

You are proceeding on the false assumption that the differences will not be easy to uncover. The differences are publicly announced by Adobe.

I also need to work out whether such improvements will still be available in LR6, which makes an evaluation more difficult.

No, you won't need to do this, Adobe's announcements and policies on this matter are quite clear. Evaluation will not be more difficult. And in any case, you can't today evaluate future features, you can only today evaluate today's features, and I have told you (and Adobe has told all of us) what the differences are.

• 11. Re: Can I download a Lightroom 6 Trial?
                              JRP_Photo Level 1

I think, given I am not going to purchase CC but may purchase LR6, it is simpler for me to trial LR6.

You, for some reason, think it is just as easy for me to trial CC to decide whether I want to purchase LR6.

We have different opinions here so let's move on. 

• 12. Re: Can I download a Lightroom 6 Trial?
                                rossh73660246

I understand there is only the Lightroom CC as a trial. I downloaded the trial and it is showing "7 days free trial".

How do I get the 30 day free trial?

Thanks.

• 13. Re: Can I download a Lightroom 6 Trial?
                                  dj_paige Level 9

Adobe has changed the length of the free trial to 7 days, so there is no 30 day free trial any more.

• 14. Re: Can I download a Lightroom 6 Trial?
                                    Geoff the kiwi Adobe Community Professional & MVP

That is correct as Paige mentions below. The trial policy changed a short time ago from 30 to 7 days.

If you have seen it described or offered as 30 days recently can you tell us where so we can have the site corrected.

Thanks