13 Replies Latest reply on Jan 24, 2016 6:00 AM by adamLRID

Lightroom and video thumbnails

finadeon Level 1

I tried tried to import videos shot with Lumia 925 to Lightroom CC on Mac OS X Yosemite. Videos are mp4-format. They are imported fine, but thumbnails are wrong. If I import videos and photos at the same time, all videos may have thumbnail image from same video, some may have green thumbnail image and some have only random noise. If I import only videos, they all have green thumbnail image. Videos play fine and I can manually set the thumbnail of a video in Lightroom, but why it doesn't work automatically?

• 1. Re: Lightroom and video thumbnails
          Tanuj Sandal Adobe Employee

Hi fiadeon,

I would request you to please go to the Preferences of Lightroom and then go to File Handling Tab.

At the bottom of the File Handling screen , click on the Purge Cache for Video.

Also please go to the saved location of your Lightroom Catalog and delete the folder Lightroom Catalog Previews.lrdata.

Now please reopen Lightroom and then check for the previews.

Please let us know if it helps.

Regards,

Tanuj Sandal

• 2. Re: Lightroom and video thumbnails
            D. Vriesman Level 1

Hi Tanuj,

I have the same problem with mp4 video from my Lumia 930 in Lightroom 6. I am running Windows 10.

Green thumbnails. But I can NOT play the video. The video, even on the second screen, stays green. I can only hear the sound.

I followed your advice. But it did not work for me.

Thanks for helping,

Dirk Vriesman

• 3. Re: Lightroom and video thumbnails

If possible could you please post a screen shot of the preview that you see in Lightroom.

• 4. Re: Lightroom and video thumbnails
                D. Vriesman Level 1

See below the screenshot. Note that other video's, including mp4 from another source play fine. Though I discovered the thumbnail issue in another mp4 from another smartphone.

LR6.PNG

• 5. Re: Lightroom and video thumbnails

Please go the Edit option from the Library Module, then go to the Preferences.

Please go to the Performance Tab and uncheck the option for " Use Graphics Processor"

Restart lightroom and then see if it helps

• 6. Re: Lightroom and video thumbnails
                    D. Vriesman Level 1

I tried that already. Maybe it has something to do with Apple Quicktime.

The mp4's will play in Windows Mediaplayer and VLC, but not with Apple Quicktime. Which LR apparently uses.

Edit: installed Quicktime 7.6 and mp4 plays fine. LR will not play them. GPU unchecked.

• 7. Re: Lightroom and video thumbnails
                      finadeon Level 1

I tried again importing bunch of photos and videos shot with Lumia 925. In grid view, horizontal videos all seems to have thumbnail image of one video. Vertical videos have green thumbnail. However, if I hover mouse over video thumbnail and keep it there, it then displays correct thumbnail (and I can rewind video by moving mouse, but when I move mouse away, the wrong one keeps coming back). If I open one video in loupe view, it displays thumbnail image from yet another wrong video (not the same one in the grid view), but in my case videos play fine. Lightroom is newest CC version and OS X is up-to-date.

I also tried to purge video cache and disabling GPU acceleration but no change. When I deleted catalog previews, video thumbnails changed, and some are now green similarly in D. Vriesman screenshot, some are from another wrong video and some have random noise.

Screen Shot 2015-09-03 at 15.20.33.png.

• 8. Re: Lightroom and video thumbnails
                        D. Vriesman Level 1

Update: I did some tests and research. I found out I have two different camera apps on my Lumia 930.

1 - Lumia Camera (Microsoft Corporation): video will not play in LR (it does however in all other apps), green thumbnail        

2 - Lumia Camera (Microsoft Mobile): video will play fine in LR, no green thumbnail

I installed the new Lumia Camera (Microsoft Mobile) from the store. Guess what: it will play fine in LR, but the thumbnail is green. The same issue as Finadeon described.

• 9. Re: Lightroom and video thumbnails
                          finadeon Level 1

My camera app is number two, from Microsoft Mobile, version 4.10.0.4. Videos are 1920x1080 resolution and other info from VLC:

Codec: H264 - MPEG-4 AVC (part 10) (avc1)

Frame rate: 30.012078

Decoded format: Planar 4:2:0 YUV

They play fine in all apps I have and even straight from OS X Finder Quick Look, correct thumbnail is also displayed.

• 10. Re: Lightroom and video thumbnails
                            D. Vriesman Level 1

I tried three different test mp4's from my Lumia in LR. Using three different Lumia Camera apps.

I made screenshots off the codecas shown in VLC. The mp4's all play fine in different players (Media Player, VLC etc.).

I cannot see a real difference between the codecs. It might be something in the Lumia app (see this link) that conflict with LR ??

1 - will NOT play in LR + green thumbnail

Not-play-green-thumbnail.PNG

2 - will play in LR+ normal thumbnail

Play-thumbnail.PNG

3 - will play in LR + green thumbnail

Play-green-thumbnail.PNG

• 11. Re: Lightroom and video thumbnails
                              D. Vriesman Level 1

Well, I solved the problem by converting the video's made with my Lumia, using the Open-source 'TEncoder Video Converter'.

I used the following video settings, which is the same as original (I think). I chose the highest bitrate setting (12000 kbps).

The converted mp4's work fine in LR.

TEncoder.PNG

• 12. Re: Lightroom and video thumbnails
                                Palaudawg Level 1

Thanks for researching this! I was having the same issues with windows phone MP4 files. I hope windows phone 10 gets it right. I also discovered with the "playable" files you can eliminate the green thumbnail by: double clicking the thumbnail (putting it in player mode), click the gear icon, advance the video by at least one frame by clicking the frame forward icon, click on the monitor icon and select "set poster frame".

• 13. Re: Lightroom and video thumbnails
                                  adamLRID Level 1

", advance the video by at least one frame by clicking the frame forward icon, click on the monitor icon and select "set poster frame".

Thank you so much!