3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 30, 2015 2:01 PM by eye=art

Indesign CS6 file: save, save as, undo are greyed out

eye=art Level 1

I'm having trouble with this file. When I work on it, it loses Save and Save As and Undo capabilities. I did a search online and found good advice but it's short term only. Namely, I exported the file in IDML format and was able to recover it and start from where I stopped. But the problem keeps recurring.

I then tried to reset my preferences. After a gazillion tries, I was able to snag that opening screen that asks: do you want to reset preferences. I didn't want to do it this way. I wanted to find the 2 files that are supposed to be deleted: InDesign Defaults and Indesign SavedData. But these files do not seem to exist on my computer. I did a thorough search in Library. I'm on a Macbook Air, OSX 10.10.3 and there are no Adobe files whatsoever in Library/Cache. These files also do not appear in Library/Preferences. Weirdly enough, my Library folder (not the System Library folder) is not in my User folder but in the Macintosh HD folder. I didn't put it there. That's where it is. 

So I have 2 issues: 1. where on earth are my preference files located?

And 2. how do I stop this graying out of this Indesign CS6 file? I'm also using a Wacom tablet and have disabled the Touch feature, since some people think that may cause this issue. I also turned off the Ruler view, since others have issues with that.

Would be grateful for some insight and a solution to this problem. I'm on a short deadline and need to get this job done quickly.

Thanks so much!